Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

T0RK3

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2011
I don't Buy it.

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Ukwire.hk offers the first look at a screen protector that has been designed for the iPhone 5. The screen protector takes on the elongated home button seen on the early design document:

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/09/unwire-002-500x333.jpg]Image

[/url]
A second shot shows how much bigger the screen protector is than the current generation iPhone 4:

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/09/unwire-003-500x333.jpg]Image

[/url]
While we've seen a number of purported iPhone 5 case designs in the past, none had shown the front of the device. The elongated home button area design, however, was shown in leaked design documents. The design documents only show areas that need to be exposed or open to the user, so it doesn't mean the physical home button will necessarily adopt the exact shape.

There's been some doubts raised recently about what shape the iPhone 5 might actually take. Despite all these case designs emerging from China, we should remind our readers that all these cases have been sourced from a common leaked design document. So, there's been little additional confirmation that this is an accurate image of what the iPhone 5 will look like. We've also seen no actual part leaks related to this dramatic redesign. The only part leaks we've seen come from an iPhone 4-like N94 design.

Apple is widely expected to release the iPhone 5 in September/October.

Article Link: iPhone 5 Screen Protectors Show Elongated Home Button Area

It is possible that the new iPhone might have a 4' screen and so on and I also believe that no company would mass produce screen covers without knowing for sure if they will work. The problem is that this looks more like a photoshop work. I seriously doubt that apple will drop their precious FaceTime front camera as suggested by this picture.

nmg196

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
I can't honestly buy the 'gesture button' idea. Draw a roundrect about the same side, now try to do anything meaningful on it.
You're kidding right? Blackberrys have a touch pad a tiny fraction of this size and it works fine for far more detailed work than just basic gestures.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
And your sure this ain't for the Galaxy S II then? I guess this site is also sure it's not for a new iPod Touch design.

But I still don't believe it based on the fact the only part leaks and valid information leaks have been about the N94 or iPhone 4S???

Hell I'm beginning to think it will be an iPhone 4S released on the quiet with no press conference as we have heard nothing about that either!!

ZipZapRap

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2011
elongated home button hey? So will Samsung be suing Apple in the near future? The way the patent system is around the world, I wouldn't be surprised.

kid0

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2011
Montreal, QC
i don't know why ppl keep saying this is maybe for galaxy s2? i own a galaxy s and the home button part looks totally different.. :/ i don't understand

nmg196

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
The screen protector is clear - so why would you need a hole for a front facing camera?

So you can take pictures which don't look like they've been taken though a piece of sticky-tape. The plastic screen protectors aren't exactly optically perfect to put it very mildly. They look like they are at close range, but hold one an inch away from a piece of paper and you'll see how much they distort and blur the image. This is why all existing screen protectors have a cut out for the camera.

kevingaffney

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2008
I am bored shi*less with these useless articles. Lets just wait a couple of weeks then we can all voice our opinions on something that actually exists

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
If it's captive, why would there be a hole. If it's a button, why would it be captive. I just don't see the added value of a captive button (but I'm seriously short sighted at times :D )

Probably a capacitive button. The gap is there because you would be moving the screen protector every time you press the physical button down.

Then if they only opened the "circle" part of the button, swiping across the whole thing would be weird.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
HELL YES; no one remember

rrpiya.jpg

looks pretty similiar

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
I seriously doubt that apple will drop their precious FaceTime front camera as suggested by this picture.

This sort of comment has been repeatedly posted so I will repeat the reply.

Please everyone, take a look at the opening at the top for the speaker. Notice how it is really long and off centre. Now apply logic. That hole is elongated so that it leaves both the speaker and the camera uncovered.

Last edited:

drober30

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
I wish the home button would have biometrics to unlock the phone. I refuse to use that awkward 4 digit code thing.

I never used the lock/pin code either. Not really a need need since we can remote lock/wipe/locate our phones.

All sensitive data is protected by illumsofts eWallet!

iamthedudeman

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2007
There will be no elongated home button. This case manufacturer (and indeed all of them) have NO inside info on the next iPhone. Anyone who thinks so is kidding themself. They are all simply speculating on the same rumours we are in a hope to get a jump on the competition. Just think, with Apple keeping this design so heavily under wraps why would they then just hand out copies of the design to Chinese case manufacturers? Even carriers and Apple stores don't know anything! Dumb.

No they are not just guessing. Case manufactures are given the outline designs of the dimisions of the phone for accessories and cases to be made. They are given this not by Apple directly, but by Apple manufactures such as foxconn.

Apple designed the phone, but the design "outline" is held by foxconn under direct guidence by Apple. Not the blueprints. Big difference.

As I said before leaked design documents have "never" I say again never been wrong. Remember the original iphone leaked design documents of the ipad? Or every design of the iphone to date? The original, 3g and 3gs, iphone 4, ipad,ipad 2?

All the confusion stems from the cheaper iphones 4s design. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
The anticipation is killing me! I don't think I've ever been so excited about a new Apple product launch.

medazinol

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Los Angeles
How many times do we have to say this:
Leaks from case manufacturers ALWAYS prove that a new model is coming and show the form factor.
Don't believe me? We knew the shape and thickness of the iPad 2 MONTHS before it shipped. We knew the shape of the current iPod nano long before it shipped. Same with the iPhone 4, 3Gs etc...

These case and accessory leaks for the purported iPhone 5 are the real deal.

You don't go and make expensive tooling and start manufacturing cases and accessories in advance for something that is not real.

The iPhone 5 is going to have a bigger screen and a bigger home button. My money is flat out on it looking just like this:
(Watch and see. Just a few more weeks and you'll see what I'm talking about)

MacRumors-Commissioned-iPhone-5-Artist-Rendering.jpg

drober30

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
How many times do we have to say this:
Leaks from case manufacturers ALWAYS prove that a new model is coming and show the form factor.
Don't believe me? We knew the shape and thickness of the iPad 2 MONTHS before it shipped. We knew the shape of the current iPod nano long before it shipped. Same with the iPhone 4, 3Gs etc...

These case and accessory leaks for the purported iPhone 5 are the real deal.

You don't go and make expensive tooling and start manufacturing cases and accessories in advance for something that is not real.

The iPhone 5 is going to have a bigger screen and a bigger home button. My money is flat out on it looking just like this:
(Watch and see. Just a few more weeks and you'll see what I'm talking about)

Way to get me fired up! Soooo excited! Soooo ready for a new iPhone!!!!!

I think that looks sweet!

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Might be he right time to state that a case manufacturer showed if what were believed to be new iPhone 4 cases until they stated they were not designed for the current gen iPhone 4 and they said no more then that!

In a rush but I'll try and dug the link up later, may have been 9to5mac or engadget?

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
wow - I am so over the iPhone 5 rumours now ...

It's sad to see the lack of endurance amongst the younger generation of rumors newbies - - with a join date of August 2011, you'd think they'd be able to sustain interest for at least a couple of minutes.

:p

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
It's definitely bigger than the current 3.5" display, but it doesn't look big enough to be a 4" display.

Absolutely looks to be around 4". The SCREEN protector extends out around the entire IP4. I'm sure there is someone on here that can approximate screen size. But i'm saying right around 4"

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
Might be he right time to state that a case manufacturer showed if what were believed to be new iPhone 4 cases until they stated they were not designed for the current gen iPhone 4 and they said no more then that!

In a rush but I'll try and dug the link up later, may have been 9to5mac or engadget?

I'm sorry...what? You're gonna need to clean that up a bit if you expect any of us to understand you.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
You're kidding right? Blackberrys have a touch pad a tiny fraction of this size and it works fine for far more detailed work than just basic gestures.

The trackpad on the blackberry works fine for moving a cursor and whatnot. Though I imagine it would be too easy to trigger a gesture with that little surface area. You'd be bound to trip it on accident.

Anyway, if it does support gestures, I imagine these will be to quickly switch between apps. Similar to the four-finger left and right gestures on the iPad.

Last edited:

slrandall

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
As cool as the home-button swiping would be, it only seems like it'd only be useful for the last few apps you'd opened. Otherwise you'd have to swipe too many times for it to be an elegant Apple solution.

However, how hard would it be to integrate a voice command [especially with the big rumored boost to speech-to-text functionality] along the lines of "switch to [application]"? Now that'd be nice.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_10 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E600 Safari/6533.18.5)

KnightWRX said:
You really shouldn't read a 'rumour' site if you have that attitude...

No, I'm all for rumors. Rumors based on leaks, anonymous tips, sources of some kind no matter how weak or improbable. This is just a guessing game at this point with everyone just throwing out whatever is passing through their head. We're getting something like 5 stories a day about the iPhone 5 all saying things that are contradictory and can't all possibility come true.

It's just too much. Hype is building, people are already getting disappointed over the more conservative rumros, it's just utter madness. I've not seen something this bad before over a rumored Apple product.

This is why we had page 2 before, for this kind of crap. In fact, I dare say that this is the first time we've had a major product launch come up without page 2 being there. Maybe this is a direct result of Arn removing page 2 ? Maybe these would be better off in the iOS blog section rather than the Front page ?

You are a controdiction. You say the rumors should be reported off anonymous tips and leaks. That's exactly what this is! It's a potential cover for the phone. There will always be contradicting rumor reports. Remember all those iPod touch cases from a few years ago that had camera cut outs? The camera touch didn't come until a year later.

This is all part of the fun of the site. But maybe Arn should run everything past you before posting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.