Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

skype_facebook_news_feed.jpg

Skype today announced the release of a new Skype 5.4 for Mac beta, offering integration with Facebook to allow users to chat with Facebook friends and view and interact with their Facebook news feeds right in the Skype application.
Just like in our Windows client, you will now be able to IM and connect with your Facebook friends without leaving Skype. You will also be able to read and update your News Feed, as well as comment and 'Like' your Facebook friends' posts - all within Skype for Mac. To connect to Facebook, simply sign into Skype, click on the Connect to Facebook tab and enter your Facebook sign in details.
Skype 5.4 for Mac is also introducing ads to the platform for the first time, although Skype Premium subscribers and those with Skype Credit on their accounts will not be subjected to the new display ads.

skype_facebook_chat.jpg

Article Link: Skype 5.4 for Mac Beta Adds Facebook Integration

starvingartist8

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2011
hmm lets see

upgrade Skype so I can view Facebook the same as if I was in safari and have ads in Skype + ads in Facebook (no ad blocker in Skype)

or

stay on the current public version with no ads and use safari with adblock for Facebook and have zero advertising experience

hmmm :p

----------

Let's see if they gonna change my mind on using skype more often! Cuz I really don't like skype lol

I wish iChat was available on more platforms so I could actually use it to talk to the majority of my friends lol

darbus69

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

haven't been on Facebook for at least 6 months-don't we waste enough time on our devices as it is, get out snd live, call someone...

bigcat318

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
I too like posting smug comments about how I don't use Facebook in an attempt to sound better than others.

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
hmm lets see

upgrade Skype so I can view Facebook the same as if I was in safari and have ads in Skype + ads in Facebook (no ad blocker in Skype)

or

stay on the current public version with no ads and use safari with adblock for Facebook and have zero advertising experience

hmmm :p

----------

I wish iChat was available on more platforms so I could actually use it to talk to the majority of my friends lol

Yeap same here now my iChat is running AIM, Gtalk, and Yahoo messenger lol. I have the @mac but no one has it so I can't add anybody. Forever alone!:(

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I thought Facebook was yesterday's news. Do people still actually use it?

leehericks

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2008
Tokyo, Japan
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

I'll post the obligatory "Screw you Skype, hire an interface designer. I'm staying on 2.8"

And that's that.

laurance11

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2011
I have Mac OS X 10.4.11.When I tried to install skype it is not compatible with my Mac. Which version of Skype is compatible with my Mac book? Also where can I download that??

Draeconis

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Does 2.8 still work? I thought it had some nasty forced-upgrade thing in it.

Blatantly looking for a 2.8 download link tonight, I HATE Skype as is is at the moment, 5.0 onwards has been terrible and has only got worse as time has progressed.

accessoriesguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
Skype 5.4 for Mac is also introducing ads to the platform for the first time, although Skype Premium subscribers and those with Skype Credit on their accounts will not be subjected to the new display ads.

Well i am definitely not upgrading to 5.4, i would just stick with iChat, but Skype does have less compatibility issues and better quality videos.

Then again I have yet to try it on Lion (is there a difference? probably a slight one).

AriX

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2007
At this point they are purposefully making the new version worse to make the old one seem better. 2.7 works great, even on Lion - plus I'm using 2.7 with the 2.6 graphics (they're glossy and cooler).

Screen_shot_2011-09-15_at_1.14.15_PM.png

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
It's a disgrace what happened to this once useful app.

FaceTime and iChat to the rescue.

DragonJade

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2009
When will the people at Skype realise that people don't want a lot of crap on their screen? Just because people have bigger screens nowadays doesn't mean they want more crap.

I am happily still using 2.8 for paid and free calls.

I was absolutely furious when I upgraded one time and the new version took up 1/4th of my 24" screen

Last edited:

r00fus

macrumors regular
May 23, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Does 2.8 still work? I thought it had some nasty forced-upgrade thing in it.

Blatantly looking for a 2.8 download link tonight, I HATE Skype as is is at the moment, 5.0 onwards has been terrible and has only got worse as time has progressed.

Old Version is your friend.
I've been on 2.8 since forever. Every time Skype releases a new version, all you need to do is to tell your current Skype client to "Skip this Release", and all is well for another few weeks/months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.