Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

bungeeair-150x140.jpg

The new Kensington BungeeAir is a combination iPhone case and key fob designed to alert users if they and their iPhone are separated -- and help secure and find the phone if they are separated.

The BungeeAir has three main features: Remind, Secure and Find. The Remind feature sends an alert to the fob in case the user has accidentally left their phone somewhere. The distance when the alert is triggered can be adjusted by an app on the iPhone.

The Secure feature automatically locks the iPhone and activates the password screen, preventing easy access to the iPhone, if it is separated from the fob.

Finally, the Find feature allows users to find their phone -- or the fob -- simply by pressing a button, if they are within range of each other. When activated, the devices alarm with sound and vibration.

Kensington doesn't precisely specify the wireless technology used, instead claiming a "2.4 GHz wireless connection" between the case and the key fob.

Kensington offers two versions of the BungeeAir, one with a 4-hour iPhone backup battery for $99.99, and the other as just a standard case for $79.99.

The BungeeAir companion app is free on the App Store.

Article Link: Kensington BungeeAir Alerts If You Lose Your iPhone

shadowbird423

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2009
Chapel Hill
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

This is a pretty good idea.... Car manufacturers could put this in their keyless entry fobs. Awesome!

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Very interesting! I assume this will use a wireless chip built-into the case instead of the iPhone's wi-fi chip?? Unless I'm wrong. If it uses the iPhone's wi-fi chip I wonder how it would work if Airplane mode was turned on?

Still a very cool concept, I like it! :)

CyrusKafaiWu

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2011
If you guys! Actually, google it.

There's an app to find your fob. And you can find your iPhone with the fob. The case also has a built in battery in it. And it uses a built in signal sender running a 2.4ghz frequency.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
I can't see this being for me. I am way too cautious with my phone and can't imagine ever leaving without it, no more than I am prone to forget a set of keys or my wallet. However, this would be amazing for someone like my mother (who I can't ever reach on her phone!) because she constantly forgets to take it with her.

jimothyGator

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Oh man, I really could have used this a couple weeks ago. I left the iPhone 5..err, I mean, 4...I was testing at a bar. Second time I've done this! My boss was so pissed, I thought he'd kill me for sure. Now the guy has retired, so I guess I'm safe.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Meh. 80 bucks, no thanks.

Oh man, I really could have used this a couple weeks ago. I left the iPhone 5..err, I mean, 4...I was testing at a bar. Second time I've done this! My boss was so pissed, I thought he'd kill me for sure. Now the guy has retired, so I guess I'm safe.

Attachments

• tryingfunny.jpg
    tryingfunny.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 1,172

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Did you see the size of the key fob? My keys already have a way too big fob for my keyless Toyota. The iPhone fob is even bigger. There's no way I can have an additional fob hooked on my keys also. My pockets are just not big enough to hold all that stuff.

----------

If you guys! Actually, google it.

There's an app to find your fob. And you can find your iPhone with the fob. The case also has a built in battery in it. And it uses a built in signal sender running a 2.4ghz frequency.

Or, you could just click on the link in the article. Thank you for repeating all the stuff that's already in the article. I need some reinforcemant today.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Yep

Did you see the size of the key fob? My keys already have a way too big fob for my keyless Toyota. The iPhone fob is even bigger. There's no way I can have an additional fob hooked on my keys also. My pockets are just not big enough to hold all that stuff.

----------

Or, you could just click on the link in the article. Thank you for repeating all the stuff that's already in the article. I need some reinforcemant today.

Ive reached the point where i want released now Please please Apple just do it...

andreiru

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2008
Kurgan, RF
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; ru-ru) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Useful, only overpriced.

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
I can't see this being for me. I am way too cautious with my phone and can't imagine ever leaving without it, no more than I am prone to forget a set of keys or my wallet. However, this would be amazing for someone like my mother (who I can't ever reach on her phone!) because she constantly forgets to take it with her.

Maybe she's screening her calls. ;)

WissMAN

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
Lone Star state
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

He needs one for the charger he left after un-hooking his phone...

mijail

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2010
What if you lose both?

Is there also a product to find the key fob?

Geez.
Or, what if you lose your memory and don't even remember you had an iPhone with a key fob! What then, huh?

(maybe I should start a tattoo parlour... or an under-skin iphone implantation parlour...)

grfxboy

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2008
Apple needs this for their field testers! :D :D :D :D

----------

In the video, dude left the charger and cable in the room!

Yoyodyne2

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2008
Good idea

I may just buy it so my wife can use it to find her keys!

Does it do the reverse? If you have your iPhone and walk away from your key ring does the phone beep? For his price it should solve all potential "walk-away" problems.

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
Does it do the reverse? If you have your iPhone and walk away from your key ring does the phone beep? For his price it should solve all potential "walk-away" problems.
I don't know, but the article states that you can find the phone or the fob with the press of a button, if they are in range of one another. I wonder how far their range is...

cajun67

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2011
My girlfriend just bought one of these. It's pretty cool.

Yes, it will also find your keys from the iPhone by beeping the key fob. You have to install the Kensington app to use it.

The more expensive model also includes a backup battery.

Since it's the case that beeps and not the iPhone, I assume that the case can be found even if the iPhone battery is dead. I haven't found a specific mention of that scenario yet, and haven't yet tested it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.