Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

tsmc-150x117.jpg

Rumors dating back as far as March have suggested that Apple has been looking to work with Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) for production of Apple's series of custom system-on-a-chip packages used in its iOS devices. Those rumors have firmed up over time, with TSMC reportedly having begun trial production of Apple's next-generation A6 chip using a new 28-nm process, down from the 40-nm process used in the current A5 chip.

Digitimes now reports that Apple's deal with TSMC may be even more extensive than first thought, extending beyond the A6 to the following generation, which would presumably be called the A7. The A7 would seem to see a further die shrink, with TSMC working toward developing a 20-nm process for the A7.
Apple has recently signed a foundry partnership agreement with Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC), industry sources have claimed. Under the terms of the agreement, TSMC will apply its 28nm and 20nm process technologies to produce Apple's next-generation CPUs, according to the sources.

[...]

TSMC is believed to have quietly secured Apple's contract, and even succeeded in extending the deal to cover the manufacture for the A6's successor, the sources said.
Samsung has been Apple's exclusive supplier for its custom A4 and A5 chips, but TSMC has aggressively pursued Apple's business with commitments to move the technology rapidly forward, also offering Apple the opportunity to shift production away from Samsung, which has become a fierce adversary in the smartphone and tablet market with its own Android-based products. Apple and Samsung are currently locked in a wide-ranging intellectual property dispute involving numerous lawsuits around the world.

Article Link: Apple Tabs TSMC for A6 and A7 Processors for Future iOS Devices

SirOmega

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2006
Las Vegas
I'm hopeful Apple can lend TSMC a chunk of its pile of cash to finance foundry upgrades. In the same way Apple lends other hardware companies for an exclusive lock on their output for a period of time, hopefully Apple lends TSMC cash to bring their 28nm and 20nm processes online faster, and Apple (and partners like Qualcomm) get first cut at the new chips coming off the line.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Good. The further they move away from Samsung the better.

heisetax

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2004
Omaha, NE
Slow equipment

Well, it's always good to diversify suppliers... as long as quality control remains high...

Why do you use such a slow processor. I just picked up a 8.4+ GHz 16 core AMD processor that just requires liquid helium to run at that speed. It was a little harder to get it to run the Mac OS so I went with the more powerful iOS. In that way I could also replace the iPad. 16Gb is so small.

I thought that we would hear that Intel had started making processors for the iOS products. They could call it the iToy13.

By Apple suing their suppliers they can take that money to pay for the products they have purchased from them, thus making the true cost of production to $0.00. This also sounds like the way Wal-Mart does their purchasing.

Heath H-89A 6 MHz, 64 KB Ram, dual 8" floppies, SCSI

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Wtf Heisetax????

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
Those rumors have firmed up over time, with TSMC reportedly having begun trial production of Apple's next-generation A6 chip using a new 28-nm process, down from the 40-nm process used in the current A5 chip.
I believe the Apple A4 and Apple A5 both use Samsung's 45nm process.

Moving from 28nm to 20nm after only 1 generation would be very aggressive. Personally, given TSMC's delays in getting the 28nm process up and running, I hope Apple has a backup plan in manufacturing a variant of the Apple A7 on the existing 28nm process rather than relying on the 20nm process coming online in time.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
I believe the Apple A4 and Apple A5 both use Samsung's 45nm process.

Moving from 28nm to 20nm after only 1 generation would be very aggressive. Personally, given TSMC's delays in getting the 28nm process up and running, I hope Apple has a backup plan in manufacturing a variant of the Apple A7 on the existing 28nm process rather than relying on the 20nm process coming online in time.

I'm sure they do. I wonder if they went with TSMC given their fondness for half-nodes.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Apple share is going 500 dollars or higher by end of this year.

Next year, People will buy iPhone again for LTE and iPad for Retina Display.

The list goes on and on.

Apple Share will most likely hit 1000 dollars in next 3-4 years. This company has a momentum that won't slow down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.