Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marcush1286

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
Hello,

I have a Quad G5 with the 7800GT graphics card. The machine itself is super super quiet thanks to having the single pump LCS. But for some reason the fan on the 7800GT is making quite a bit of noise. Is there a way I can lubricate the fan bearing on it, or should I just get a new card?

I was thinking of getting the 7800GTX which is a much faster card and has beefier memory on it of 512MB.

Someone please advise, as I am thinking of putting back in my G5 the 6600 as the noise from the fan in this card is driving me crazy!

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Check around online, as you may be able to find a nice replacement cooling solution for the card. Perhaps something from Arctic Cooling, as they make very nice and quiet GPU coolers.

Marcush1286

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
Ok, but can't I just lubricate the bearing to quiet this thing down?

Check around online, as you may be able to find a nice replacement cooling solution for the card. Perhaps something from Arctic Cooling, as they make very nice and quiet GPU coolers.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
Ok, but can't I just lubricate the bearing to quiet this thing down?

It would already have lubricant of it's own that will last years upon years. It is the noise it is and to get a quieter one you will need an entirely different fan.

It's a fans own design that makes it loud or quiet. Not lack of bearing lubricant. You could even mess things up on the card by adding foreign liquids to your hardware.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
There is a replacement fan for that card somewhere. Google around.

But I hated the one I had on a Quad, too. The noise was amazingly annoying.

Get the Quadro card, I thought it was a better card anyway. I had a flashed PC Quadro, worked great on a Quad.

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY
If your fan bearing truly is dirty and noisy, I have a solution, works for me every time. If the fan by nature is loud, this won't help.

I've bought a few secondhand items that have fans that are extremely loud, or spin very slow because they have never been cleaned.

Remove the fan itself, and disassemble it as far as it will go. Blow as much dust out as you can. Soak the fan in Marvel Mystery Oil so the oil can penetrate 100% into the motor. (Any auto parts store should have this) It's a viscous red liquid that smells minty. Once the MMO has penetrated it after about an hour, remove the fan and let it drain on a paper towel for a WHILE. Clean as much of the stuff out as you can. Once you're confident the oil won't leak out, test out the fan, I bet it'll spin like the dickens.

I've rejuvenated countless fans using this method, and they still work great after months of service. The soak pretty much replaces the dirt in the bearing with oil, and the contaminants flow away.

Marcush1286

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
Forget it.. just got a new card

Just got a 7800GTX for less than 150.00 and besides, its a better upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.