Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chilman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
I hope someone can help me with a rare issue. My iPad 2. 3G was always working fine. Until I couldnt control the screen anymore.
I mean when I touch the screen it wouldnt do anything. So now I am stuck at the Lock Screen. I cannot slide to unlock, Here is what I have done already a number of times:

1. Restart : Hold the on/off and home button for 10 seconds until it reboot
2. Update software from 4.3.3 to 4.3.5
3. Restore through iTunes: all to factory setting but still I could not slide to unlock.

my Ipad is fairly new, I am in Indonesia and here there is no apple store and real experience techs. I dont wanna someone inexperienced person to handle or even open because it may not be a hardware issue. Perhaps someone had this experience before and can help me because I had tried almost all efforts. Thank you iPad lovers!!

Last edited:

wesrk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2007
I hope someone can help me with a rare issue. My iPad 2. 3G was always working fine. Until I couldnt control the screen anymore.
I mean when I touch the screen it wouldnt do anything. So now I am stuck at the Lock Screen. I cannot slide to unlock, Here is what I have done already a number of times:

1. Restart : Hold the on/off and home button for 10 seconds until it reboot
2. Update software from 4.3.3 to 4.3.5
3. Restore through iTunes: all to factory setting but still I could not slide to unlock.

my Ipad is fairly new, I am in Indonesia and here there is no apple store and real experience techs. I dont wanna someone inexperienced person to handle or even open because it may not be a hardware issue. Perhaps someone had this experience before and can help me because I had tried almost all efforts. Thank you iPad lovers!!

I have no experience in this issue, but no matter where you are in the world you are covered by AppleCare. If nothing comes up from this thread, call them up and even if you have to ship to wherever, you'll get it fixed.

kbfr08

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
Hardware issue. Your digitizer is defective, you need to have that replaced by applecare. Give apple a call and have them sort it out.

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
I think this is probably a temporary problem. Maybe you can pass a magnet by the right hand side of the iPad to trigger a smart cover unlock, if the settings are enabled.

kbfr08

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
Actually, this just crossed my mind. A temporary solution is to press firmly along the entire bezel of the screen.

chilman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
I think this is probably a temporary problem. Maybe you can pass a magnet by the right hand side of the iPad to trigger a smart cover unlock, if the settings are enabled.

I tried to pass using a magnet on the right side, this release the lock and went to the home screen. But still can operate the icons when I touch them. So somehow the magnet must have done some effect.
I do now remember that I had a piece of magnet prior to the problem near my iPad. Maybe al256 you know more about the problem and other tricks can solve this. Seems that a hardware isnt the case yet, at least I think so. There are no Apple store so I cant take it to an authorized apple shop. Taking to other than apple may take a big gamble, as I dont think they are qualified.
Thank you for those who had contribute some ideas. Any more possibilities? thanks

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
Honestly, I did have an issue where I could not unlock my iPad 2 one day. I could see the slider move but not enough to trigger the unlock. I think the problem was something to do with moisture or a tiny drop of water staying on the iPad. The problem was there were too many touch inputs going to the iPad which caused it to not respond.

I don't remember how I fixed the problem.

Try cleaning your screen or leaving the iPad turned off for a while.

chilman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
The problem persist, I took it back to Apple with no hassle, no questions ask and replaced a brand new Ipad 2 64Gb, 3G. I connect to my MBP and resrore to my original profile. It is now all dandy again. Thanks for the advices!:D:apple:

Now, getting ready for iPhone 5, I am sure there will be an overwhelming orders pouring in. I will wait a couple of months when the rush stabilized.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.