Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this year, it was revealed that Apple was planning to open its first retail store in Hong Kong by the end of this year, targeting a 15,000 square foot space in the IFC Mall. We soon put together details on the location, which is on the far eastern edge of the mall and spans two levels while displacing ten other retail stores that formerly occupied the space.

image-500x373.jpg

Details on the massive new store have continued to surface as Apple has built out the space over the past six months, with a report earlier this month claiming that Apple was planning for a September 24th opening for the store.

apple_store_ifc_sept_24.jpg

That opening date has now been confirmed, as evidenced by a small new sign placed on a stand in front of an entrance to the store. The sign confirms that the store will open this Saturday, September 24th, at 9:00 AM.

apple_store_ifc_store_page.jpg

The company has also rolled out a new Hong Kong retail page with a dedicated store page already up and running.

Few details on the interior design of the store are known, but it is clear that the location will be a significant new flagship for Apple in one of the world's leading financial centers. Its location in the high-profile IFC Mall at the foot of one of the tallest office buildings in the world offers Apple a unique opportunity to expand its presence in a relatively small but important portion of its "Greater China" market that has seen explosive growth over the past several years.

(Thanks Stig!)

Article Link: Grand Opening of Apple's Massive New Hong Kong Store Confirmed for This Saturday

Last edited:

Tiggs

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
Wow, Apple has just been on a roll lately with so many new stores. Wonder what their plans are for next year at this rate. :p

Dreamer2go

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
as much as I love Apple's retail store, this place will be swarm by mainlanders (non-hong kong people coming straight from PRC), not our local Hong Kong people....

MOST of them are rude, impolite, and not very well-educated.
I won't visit that store often.

To be honest, there are just too many computer malls / apple retail stores in Hong Kong that we can buy Apple products from...

Twenty5

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
Oh my gawd!

I'm from Hong Kong and boy am I excited about this! FINALLY our OWN Apple store!!!

One thing I have been wanting to ask is, has anybody been to an Apple store opening before? Do they ever give out anything for free like apple t-shirts and what not?

Either way, I'm going to be camping outside for the grand opening. Is there anybody else in Hong Kong who would like to set a small meet up for the grand grand opening? Let me know!

Can't wait for this saturday!:eek:

ncc1701d

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2008
as much as I love Apple's retail store, this place will be swarm by mainlanders (non-hong kong people coming straight from PRC), not our local Hong Kong people....

MOST of them are rude, impolite, and not very well-educated.
I won't visit that store often.

Ironically that's how MOST foreigners think of Hong Kong locals.

Finally!! I totally hated those arrogant staffs at DG Lifestyle.

+1 for that. What is their problem?

lOUDsCREAMEr

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2006
Safari desert
I hear there will be another two stores coming to Hong Kong. One in TST (100 Canton Road), another in Causeway Bay (500 Hennessy Road).

Last edited:

aappppllee

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2011
The store didn't look that impressive from the lower floor entrance. I expected the store to have glass all around like the new Shanghai store. All the other store fronts at IFC are substantially glass or open. I would have expected a more impressive store front from Apple. Perhaps this will change on Grand Opening.

As for DG Life, the staff are arrogant and often times, you can't understand what they're saying. I get better information reading the product displays. I hope they're stuck in a long term lease with high rents on the second floor and they get run out of business. In their Wan Chai store, they quote random prices for things and sometimes quote 20% above online rates. They really don't do a good job of promoting good will for Apple products. (Apple, hope you're reading this and cut their distribution license).

As for comments about servicing the Mainlanders. Well, the impression is that they have all the money now. Sales people perceive Mainlanders to be easier to service as they will buy up several units at one time without asking too many questions or haggling over discounts.

Most of the main electronic stores such as Fortress or Broadway have a slight advantage in that they provide 12, 18, or 24 month interest free purchases from the major credit card issuers. Apple itself seems to provide only a 12 month interest free installment with Citibank, whereas HSBC, Bank of China, and Stan Chart cards are much more common.

I would be curious if Apple has figured out that they are becoming like an anchor tenant in some of these locations don't need to pay top dollar rent.

cactus33

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2011
How do we know this one isn't fake?

Because it's Hong Kong not China!:confused:

----------

The store didn't look that impressive from the lower floor entrance. I expected the store to have glass all around like the new Shanghai store. All the other store fronts at IFC are substantially glass or open. I would have expected a more impressive store front from Apple. Perhaps this will change on Grand Opening.

As for DG Life, the staff are arrogant and often times, you can't understand what they're saying. I get better information reading the product displays. I hope they're stuck in a long term lease with high rents on the second floor and they get run out of business. In their Wan Chai store, they quote random prices for things and sometimes quote 20% above online rates. They really don't do a good job of promoting good will for Apple products. (Apple, hope you're reading this and cut their distribution license).

As for comments about servicing the Mainlanders. Well, the impression is that they have all the money now. Sales people perceive Mainlanders to be easier to service as they will buy up several units at one time without asking too many questions or haggling over discounts.

Most of the main electronic stores such as Fortress or Broadway have a slight advantage in that they provide 12, 18, or 24 month interest free purchases from the major credit card issuers. Apple itself seems to provide only a 12 month interest free installment with Citibank, whereas HSBC, Bank of China, and Stan Chart cards are much more common.

I would be curious if Apple has figured out that they are becoming like an anchor tenant in some of these locations don't need to pay top dollar rent.

The DG store in IFC has already closed down !!!

yahoodlums

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2008
Finally!! I totally hated those arrogant staffs at DG Lifestyle.

HK LOVE YOU APPLE!

Couldn't agree more! DG used to have great service 10 years ago, but they've got worse and worse over the years.

I noticed their store in the IFC seems to have disappeared? Good riddance.

lOUDsCREAMEr

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2006
Safari desert
But Hong Kong is part of China albeit one enjoying special administrative region status.

You're oversimplifying things here.:D

"SAR Status" means as if another country within one unified China.

I don't intend to be dragged into another pointless political debate which leads to nowhere.:p

Last edited:

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
Ironically that's how MOST foreigners think of Hong Kong locals

thank you! It annoys me to no end when HKers frown upon mainlanders as if somehow they're not all cut from the same cloth. Get over yourselves ...

Anyway, back on topic, it will be AWESOME to have an Apple store in HK finally. No shortage of authorized resellers but also no shortage of crappy return policies and bad customer service.

lOUDsCREAMEr

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2006
Safari desert
thank you! It annoys me to no end when HKers frown upon mainlanders as if somehow they're not all cut from the same cloth. Get over yourselves ...

Anyway, back on topic, it will be AWESOME to have an Apple store in HK finally. No shortage of authorized resellers but also no shortage of crappy return policies and bad customer service.

I personally wish Apple's 4th store will be in Tsuen Wan (near the west rail station or CityWalk), which is already NT's "Causeway Bay" per my observation.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.