Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Filling out more detail on an earlier report about iPhone 5 component suppliers such as Largan Precision (camera lens module) and TPK (touch panel) operating at full capacity for the upcoming device, CENS/Taiwan Economic News reports that the two manufacturers have confirmed expectations of strong financial performance for the current quarter.

iphone51.jpg

TPK in particular is publicly crediting the iPhone 5 for better-than-expected revenue during the month of August, suggesting the panels for the new device have been "heavily shipped" this month in advance of its public debut.
The company's chief financial officer Freddie Liu attributed the better-than-expected revenue mainly to strong shipment of touch panels for use in iPhone 4, and implied that models for iPhone 5 have been heavily shipped this month.

Driven by the upcoming iPhone 5, Liu mentioned, the company's sales revenue for the third quarter of this year is very likely to further grow from the second quarter to hit a record high, with gross profit rate to reach between 17% and 18% during the period.
For its part, Largan has confirmed that much of its strong performance has been due to production of 8-megapixel camera lens modules. The iPhone 5 has been widely rumored to be adopting an 8-megapixel rear camera, up from the 5-megapixel camera in the iPhone 4.
The company confirmed that the revenue growth was mainly led by increasing shipment of 8-megapixel lens modules, a higher-end product also adopted in iPhone 5.

Institutional investors projected that 8-megapixel lens modules will significantly increase in the third quarter to command nearly a 20% share of the company's overall shipment, serving as a business drive for the months to come.
Apple's primary iPhone manufacturing partner Foxconn is said to already be producing at least 150,000 iPhone 5 units per day, stockpiling devices for installation of the final iOS 5 and packaging for a debut sometime next month.

Article Link: Apple's Component Suppliers Showing Strength on iPhone 5 Production Ramp

theevoid

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Beatbeckham said:
Good. I feel that the Iphone 5 is pretty close now!

I hope - I have a feeling in the end we will be surprised.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
A study in contrast: TPK vs. Samsung

If TPK can meet Apple's quota and keep their mouths shut about future product component details, they'll set new sales records. Apple will keep working with them, and old Freddie will be a hero.

If TPK leaks information about upcoming products, blatantly copies said products, and can't fulfill Apple's orders (possibly intentionally), they get thrown down the Samsung staircase. Apple will take their business elsewhere and sue TPK's pants off.

Up to you Freddie. You know what to do.

clemonsLA

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2011
hopefully they can announce the keynote this week. GOW 3 PLUS a key announcement might make this week the most epic week of september.::apple:

countermind

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

Don't forget the fourth season of Fringe too!

omegaphil6

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2002
Fort Myers Florida
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

JUST RELEASE THE F#@$ING THING ALREADY DAMN THIS IS BULL$#%+

SidewaysTakumi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
Texas
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm scared that even with massive production numbers, there still won't be enough to go around come launch day. I'm up for an upgrade Oct 3rd and the rest of my family is up for an upgrade on Oct 21st. I hope we are all able to get one. We've been saving for months!

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
The hardware has been finished for quite some time. The phone will not be shipped until iOS 5 is more solid...

-t

WvB22

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

The only thing that bothers me is that we haven't seen an iPhone 5 in the wild except the N94 which is rumored to have the same formfactor as the iPhone 4. Where is the new design? It seems almost impossible to me that there are millions iPhone 5's around but none has leaked? I don't get it. I can understand you can keep a prototype secret but millions in a warehouse? With so many people working on it?

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
Security at Foxcon is very, very tight. I've been there

There will be no product leaks from there.

-t

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_10 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E600 Safari/6533.18.5)

thewitt said:
Security at Foxcon is very, very tight. I've been there

There will be no product leaks from there.

-t

By "t" you mean you're Tim Cook, right?

mrelwood

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
I hope - I have a feeling in the end we will be surprised.

One way or the other.

I really hope the lack of leaks is because Apple has made everything in its power to prevent the iPhone 4 leaks from happening again. I would still buy an iPhone 4S to replace my 3G, but all rumors on the new form factor are just marvellous.

chakdey

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

Don't forget the fourth season of Fringe too!

i had to log into the macrumors account after more than a year just to like this comment and post that i logged into like the comment :p

darbus69

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

it's fun to "listen" to everyones mental state deteriorate when coming close to new product launch time-I'd hate to think that aliens monitor MacRumors forums-might encourage them to destroy our planet out of the fear we are unreasonable beings... :eek:

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
Duke Nukem Forever!

Does anyone recall how long it took Duke Nukem Forever to appear and how much of a disappointment it was when it finally came? Was it 10 years after schedule? Something like that.

What I want to say is that you can develop something to death. Sure, when the iPhone 4 first came out, lockups & freezes were common, but iOS came a long way since and if you delay a product just to get it flaw free, you still fail because out on the street, someone will do something the software did not anticipate and it will crash. Then you bug-fix it and you go on. I mean, it's a phone alright? The hardware is a combination of iPhone and iPad. Not that hard to figure.

Maybe the threatening lawsuits from Samsung play a role and Apple lawyers have to get all answers to the patent claims of Samsung in first so that Samsung does not let courts block the phone off the market like the Galaxy Tab. That now would be a disaster Apple has to prevent and I would even understand the delay. Just imagine: iPhone comes out and after 2 days, you cannot order it for your carrier because there is an injunction active in your country. It's not like the tablet which you can buy online from a different country because phones come in bundles from the wireless companies and if it is blocked from the market, you simply won't get it without paying full price. Even if you buy it full price, then, if something happens with it, you most likely can't get insurance for it or you have to return it in the country you officially bought it in or Apple sold it in. I just hear the word nightmare ringing in my ears.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
No, Apple should take their time to get it right. Don't bungle this launch.

Only a blathering idiot would want Apple to rush this out the door.

I for one would hate to see Apple pull a RIMM on us and release a playbook style iPhone 5. However I'm impatiently awaiting iOS 5 on my iPad 2! Split keyboard, and iMessage *drool* :p~

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.