Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pchipchip

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2011
Do you think that Tim Cook will release the iPhone 5 and have his first major product release as CEO, or do you think that Steve Jobs will release it because he usually releases the iPhones?

milani

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Probably Tim Cook. Jobs might make a cameo at the keynotes, but Tim will almsot certainly be running the show. They have to set the stage for the future - and Apple is a company notorious for moving forward without indulging in nostalgia (something Jobs made sure of when he returned to the company following the NeXT acquisition).

AIP5

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
I actually haven't watched all of Apple's keynotes, but from what I have gathered, my understanding is that Tim Cook doesn't have the same great speaking style that Steve Jobs has. In fact, Tim's a quiet one. So, maybe he won't be presenting at all? He might just leave it to the VP's to present, like how Scott Forstall presents the iOS updates, and how a different VP for Lion presented at the WWDC. So maybe, we might get the designer to present the hardware portion, and Scott Forstall to present the software features (assuming there will be new features like Nuance).

Or... praying and hoping here... Steve Jobs will be there at least for one bit. But personally... I can't imagine Tim Cook as the main presenter. He just doesn't have the same aura as Steve Jobs.

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
Tim Cook will talk about the earnings.
Scott Forstall will talk about iOS 5
Phil Schiller will introduce the iPhone 5.

Dumbledorelives

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2010
Desperately hoping we'll see a least some appearance from Steve. But that's unlikely, the whole thing will almost certainly be Tim Cook's show.

iRobby

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Fort Myers, FL USA
Agreed. Although Steve had a great speaking style that very few can match (Obama being the only other great speaker I can think of. Please don't start a political argument based on my innocent comment!)

I can almost agree with your Obama comment however, Bill Clinton got him beat by a mile!

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
I don't think Steve Jobs will be there. But I do think he recorded a video that will be shown.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Cook is in charge, so either him or Phil Schiller will unveil the iPhone 5. As I've said before, Apple needs to show people that they have as much faith in Cook as they did in Jobs. If Cook can run the company, he can handle a keynote.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
On one hand they need to introduce Tim Cook to the masses, on the other, its about aura. Just because he's "running the show" doesn't necessarily mean he is also equipped to be a speaker and deliver that wholesome exciting G-rated mainstream trustworthy likability that is the purest part of the brand. Those guys are well rehearsed/trained actors and salesmen of a very specific brand of energy.

It will be based on showmanship, not a showing of power. We are not ushering a new era to make room for the man to take his rightful place, the man is stepping in to continue carrying the torch for something much bigger than him: The most popular company and brand on the planet.

If Steve can, he would, and should do it. Especially since his time is limited. Its much bigger than anything else.

But it would also be a good platform for Tim Cook to be introduced to us. Again, its based on performance ability and aura, not political rights. Everyone works for the good of the company.

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
Someone with good dress sense and who realises the benefits of an expenisive moisturising lotion, and nice scent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.