Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
All that needs to happen is for Apple to support AWS band into the next iPhone. Who cares if T-Mobile doesn't carry the iPhone, those that buy them unlocked can just pop in T-Mobile SIM. Heck, there are many people on T-Mobile with iPhones already (on EDGE).

What this tells me is that Apple may not have access nor the motivation to use penta-band HSDPA radio. Maybe it's under patent with Nokia or something.

swissmann

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2003
The Utah Alps
Verizon and AT&T need to drop their prices. T-mobile's unlimited text, talk, and data for $50 is where it is at. If other carriers were that cheap T-mobile could go away. For me T-mobile's pricing paired with the iPhone is a perfect union. So either drop prices elsewhere or get the iPhone at T-mobile. This is not good news!

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
i was telling someone yesterday how i think this is a scam by apple and AT&T to drive t-mo's value down

AT&T, yes, absolutely.

But Apple, why? Apple has lost a lot of potential customers who had brand loyalty to their carriers, there could have been millions of iPhone users on Sprint and T-Mobile. As far as they are concerned, the more carriers that carry the iPhone the better. Now probably they did not reach an agreement with T-Mobile, but I wouldn't be surprised if indeed this was something both companies explored.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Yeah, cause it ain't called the iPhone 5, its the iPhone 4S! :)

Exactly. He didn't say we're not getting the iPhone, he said we're not getting the iPhone 5...big difference.

There is still rumors that the iPhone 5 isn't coming till next year so who knows.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
AT&T, yes, absolutely.

But Apple, why? Apple has lost a lot of potential customers who had brand loyalty to their carriers, there could have been millions of iPhone users on Sprint and T-Mobile. As far as they are concerned, the more carriers that carry the iPhone the better. Now probably they did not reach an agreement with T-Mobile, but I wouldn't be surprised if indeed this was something both companies explored.

DT is looking to get rid of T-Mo one way or another so no reason to take a financial risk with them.

Shotgun OS

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2006
Ohio
Really wish it was coming to T-Mobile. I'll be purchasing my first smartphone this fall, but I refuse to switch to AT&T or Verizon.

PCClone

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2010
Even with the merger, Apple would need to create a phone to run on TMO frequencies. So, the merger should be irrelevant to them getting the iPhone.

If they don't, I will be very angry.

atomwork

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2001
Miami Beach
T-Mobile does not operate only in the USA, so this will likely never happen.

He means the US merger. German based T-Mobil wants to sell the US unit because they have no business growth. Many customers want the iPhone.

But I hope SPRINT will get it and I won't have to pay $300/m with evil ATT...

PS: And don't forget that in Germany the iPhone 4 is free (1 Euro) with a 2 year contract. Not like the rip off here $199 + endless charges/fees for add-on services like texting, voice, date

Last edited:

xpower180

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2011
UK/Dubai
Surely the very fact that this guy stated T-Mobile are not getting the iPhone 5 tends to confirm its existence, no?

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
He means the US merger. German based T-Mobil wants to sell the US unit because they have no business growth. Many customers want the iPhone.

But I hope SPRINT will get it and I won't have to pay $300/m with evil ATT...

PS: And don't forget that in Germany the iPhone 4 is free (1 Euro) with a 2 year contract. Not like the rip off here $199 + endless charges/fees for add-on services like texting, voice, date

and what kind of plan do you get for that? and how much is it?

macinnv

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Maybe Apple doesnt want to add the AWS 1700/2100 bands on the iPhone becuase ATT will shut down that spectrum immediately following the merger for LTE build out?

PCClone

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2010
Maybe Apple doesnt want to add the AWS 1700/2100 bands on the iPhone becuase ATT will shut down that spectrum immediately following the merger for LTE build out?

Nope. They are buying them so they can use that spectrum. That is the main reason for the purchase according to ATT.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. If T-Mobile gets the iPhone, their argument that they can't compete in the market gets a little weaker, just like they want.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
T-Mobile does not operate only in the USA, so this will likely never happen.

No, but their parent company, deutsche telekom does want it to happen. T-Mo is a failing entity, and they don't care who buys them, so as long as it happens before they need to declare bankruptcy...

BowTheMan89

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2011
Colorado
Doomed

I find it much more likely that he is referring to the entire industry not seeing an iPhone 5 this year than simply his company.

Otherwise he's basically saying, "we'll you might as well switch now cause we're not getting the phone you're all waiting for." Though i really hope im wrong:confused:

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
Verizon and AT&T need to drop their prices. T-mobile's unlimited text, talk, and data for $50 is where it is at. If other carriers were that cheap T-mobile could go away. For me T-mobile's pricing paired with the iPhone is a perfect union. So either drop prices elsewhere or get the iPhone at T-mobile. This is not good news!

The only reason T-Mo is offering that kind of plan, is because of their financial situation. They're doing anything they can to get, and retain customers. It won't last...

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
The only reason T-Mo is offering that kind of plan, is because of their financial situation. They're doing anything they can to get, and retain customers. It won't last...

the cheap plans are only for single lines. for family plans it's cheaper AT&T and Verizon

i pay $180 for a 4 line plan with 2 smartphones and 2 dumb phones. 4 line plan on t-mo is $279

realeric

macrumors 65816
Jun 19, 2009
United States
T-Mobile could get none of iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, and iPhone 5(without LTE) because the devices didn't support T-Mobile's 3G GSM frequency. They may get iPhone 6 if it supports LTE.

Edit: I was wrong. MDM6600 supports T-Mobile's frequency.

Last edited:

macinnv

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
He clearly meant T-Mobile when he said "we aren't getting the iPhone 5". He was speaking to T-Mobile employees and probably using "we" frequently, meaning T-Mobile.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.