Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

cook_iphone_5_photoshop.jpg

AllThingsD reports that Apple will be holding its highly-anticipated iPhone 5 media event on October 4th.
While Apple could certainly change its plans anytime, sources said that the October 4 date has been selected by the company to showcase the iPhone 5. Sources added that the plan is now to make the new device available for purchase within a few weeks after the announcement.
According to the report, new Apple CEO Tim Cook should play a prominent role in the event in order to assert himself as the new leader of the company, although it will almost certainly be a team presentation with other executives such as Phil Schiller, Scott Forstall, and Eddy Cue leading portions of the event. It is unclear whether Steve Jobs will make an appearance at the event, with the report suggesting that a decision on whether or not he appears would be a last-minute one based on his health.

MacRumors noted yesterday that Apple is expected to also be introducing minor updates to its iPod line, and had pinpointed the first week in October for that introduction, with availability set for the middle of the month. Apple generally issues invitations to its media events about a week ahead of time, so we can expect official notice of the event to appear sometime around early next week.

Article Link: Apple's iPhone 5 Media Event Reportedly Scheduled for October 4

utwarreng

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2009
While we've all been anxiously awaiting this, and the kneejerk reaction is "it's about time", I just hope that they've used all of this extra time to really put some big improvements into the product, and work the bugs out.

Here's hoping for a good smooth release.

whawhat

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2006
We all knew it was coming......my only hope is that apple has been producing 5's since July and can keep up with demand (not gonna happen but we can dream)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
So the big delay for the announcement was all down to Tim Cook trying to get hold of a suitable turtleneck.

Damn whoever took over the logistics job!!!

;)

On a serious note, for many October 4th can't come soon enough.

mikerr

macrumors regular
May 5, 2007
Indeed, read this on a few sites, and MacRumors didn't have it then,
getting a bit slow lately.

Navoou

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2011
Finally we will get the new iPhone. Now, there ist just one question: Will it be just an updated iPhone 4 or a redesigned iPhone 5? Like many of you I also hope Apple will introduce at least a larger display.

iPad 3

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2011
Wow, the iPhone 5 sure got delayed this year! I wonder what the hell went wrong?!?!

(awaits people saying it was never delayed because techincally it was never announced, kid yourselves not folks, if they could have safely released it when they did the previous 4 times, they would.)

Captainobvvious

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
I fear that because of the delayed release everyone's anticipation is built up to a peak, expecting something really special to justify the long delay...

I have a feeling we might be heading for a disappointment.

----------

But I read they'll only be an iPhone 4S :confused:

You read that where?

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
Curious since the Moscone Center is booked by Oracle from October 3 through the 6, while the last week of September is wide open.

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
I'm a little disappointed in how it looks. Aside from the giant number 5 on the screen it looks just like the iPhone 4.

nunes013

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
heres hoping for a great new product. one that will put Apple ahead of the game again. and also hoping that the producing 150000 per day rumor is true ;)

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
its going to be the 27th. the secret invites have already been sent out each one sporting a unique design to identify the person releasing it. apple's new security force is already following the selected attendees ready to kill them in case they spill the beans

the new iphones will be delivered to apple stores on tuesday morning and will be available for sale that day

Inakto

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
toronto
Isn't it a little premature to call it an iPhone 5 media event, I mean we don't even know if we are getting a redesigned iPhone or simply "iPhone 4s" :/
Either way my 3GS Is getting quite old :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.