Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stark4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Florida
i bought a base model 13" MBA today and while i was surfing the web the keyboard stop working. I tried to turn off the power and restarted but the OS was looking for a bluetooth keyboard. i guess the keyboard got disconnected somehow inside? Anyway i took it back to Apple store right away and they exchanged it with the brand new one.

But it was pretty scary that it would happen to a brand new Mac. I just opened up 5 min ago and keyboard stopped working. Anyway i just want to share that with you guys.

BTW my new MBA SSD is SM128C and Display is LTH133BT01A03

Is that mean i got both Samsung SSD and Samsung Display... ?

Thanks

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
i bought a base model 13" MBA today and while i was surfing the web the keyboard stop working. I tried to turn off the power and restarted but the OS was looking for a bluetooth keyboard. i guess the keyboard got disconnected somehow inside? Anyway i took it back to Apple store right away and they exchanged it with the brand new one.

But it was pretty scary that it would happen to a brand new Mac. I just opened up 5 min ago and keyboard stopped working. Anyway i just want to share that with you guys.

BTW my new MBA SSD is SM128C and Display is LTH133BT01A03

Is that mean i got both Samsung SSD and Samsung Display... ?

Thanks

First, welcome to the Air club. Hopefully the rest of your ownership experience is better than Day 1. These things happen. My 2010 MacBook Air was crashing all the time, but then Apple replaced the logic board and all was well. Second, yes, you do have the Samsung SSD and Samsung display.

Devil Dog 21

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2011
Kansas City
Sorry that you had that happen right away. I got the exact same model MBA this past weekend and have had no issues. (Knocking on wood as I type this)

I'm sure the rest of your experience with your MBA will be great!

Queen6

macrumors G4
Everything produced has a failure rate, Apple is generally better than most and the do stand by their product, and that is why I continue to buy. Most of all Apple will do their utmost to ensure customer satisfaction, as they understand the bigger picture of customer loyalty and return purchases.

I once bought an Acer, within literally a week a major production fault was detected and released, I asked for a replacement Acer`s response was I had to have this brand new Notebook "repaired" like or leave it, I chose to leave it and Acer. I will never recommend nor buy their product privately or professionally, I would rate Acer`s customer service as abismal at best.

Equally I have never had issue with any Apple product in over 20 years, I do believe that Apple does strive for excellence, unfortunately some level failure is invertible...

Last edited:

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
That's nothing compare to the one I ordered back then when the first gen got release. Ordered ir from Apple took them 2 weeks from China. Got it and the unit was completely dead can't turn on at all. Then took it to the Apple store genius couldn't do anything since it was a dead unit. Called Apple they sent me one right away with a 2days international received the new one then sent the dead one back to cali.

orfeas0

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2010
Athens, Greece
Everything produced has a failure rate, Apple is generally better than most and the do stand by their product, and that is why I continue to buy. Most of all Apple will do their utmost to ensure customer satisfaction, as they understand the bigger picture of customer loyalty and return purchases.

I once bought an Acer, within literally a week a major production fault was detected and released, I asked for a replacement Acer`s response was I had to have this brand new Notebook "repaired" like or leave it, I chose to leave it and Acer and I will never recommend nor buy their product privately or professionally, I would rate Acer`s customer service as abismal at best.

Equally I have never had issue with any Apple product in over 20 years, I do believe that Apple does strive for excellence, unfortunately some level failure is invertible

exactly that. No technology is perfect. Better yet, NOTHING is perfect. Just like a kid can have a heart attack at the age of 12 (rarely), same comes with computers. They can fail at any time. So always keep backups of everything important.

accessoriesguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
it's good that it failed right away instead of down the line.

Like cars if something is wrong it will show up fairly quickly, just in case apple (as do cars) offer warranty, in this case being 1 year. So don't worry too much about mechanical failures.

Apple has had some of the lowest fault rates, last I heard they were somewhere in the 4% range. It seems higher here, because more people come to discuss their issues with the computer than how it never had an issue. Never undermined the importance of having a backup drive, apple makes it easy to back up your files thanks to time machine.

Aside from that, I hope you have a great user experience and feel free to ask questions or for advice! :D

stark4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Florida
Thanks for all the support... I'm also glad that it failed right away before i transfer some files from my MBP.

Btw the replacement 13" MBA is going strong and loving it's portability compare to my old 15" MBP. My replacement MBA has Samsung SSD and Display. But i don't think it matters anyways..

jesushavemercy

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2011
This will get more and more common, has happened to me several times.
(not exactly that case), however this is what we can expect when products ship from China.

orfeas0

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2010
Athens, Greece
This will get more and more common, has happened to me several times.
(not exactly that case), however this is what we can expect when products ship from China.

Do you think ANY laptop is manufactured anywhere else than China?
Then again I guess you were joking so yea, "made in China" sucks :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.