Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h4ckintosh

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2004
Earth
ok ok, I love *NIXes in general and LOVE macs :) . My problem is this: I recently reformatted and installed Linux on the main partition (since yaboot needs to be on this to boot), and OS X on the secondary. Well, I really just am too lazy config it knowing that its not really any use since I use X11 and this is not a server, SOOO I wanna reclaim my 25GB... can I extend the HFS+ into that partition w/o reformat? Just curious. Thanks! :)

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
h4ckintosh said:
ok ok, I love *NIXes in general and LOVE macs :) . My problem is this: I recently reformatted and installed Linux on the main partition (since yaboot needs to be on this to boot), and OS X on the secondary. Well, I really just am too lazy config it knowing that its not really any use since I use X11 and this is not a server, SOOO I wanna reclaim my 25GB... can I extend the HFS+ into that partition w/o reformat? Just curious. Thanks! :)
You might try some partitioning software that AFAIK can resize HFS+ without destruction, but they are commercial, and I don't know if the support multiple formats too.... but you might check them out.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
There is a linux program (I've used it on the Gentoo live cd) called parted. I'm pretty sure it can change partiton sizes without losing data.

On another note that may be easier: Have you though of fomating it, but keeping it as a separate partition?

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Yeah, you might want to try partitioning the Linux partition into HFS+ so you'll have 2 HFS+ volumes. Then you can find commercial partition software to join them.

h4ckintosh

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2004
Earth
ok, cool. Well, I bought iPartition, and will do just that. Thanks for the help and quick responses (...and why didn't I think of that) :rolleyes: ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.