Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
Someone asked to share my VPN setup so they can watch Optimumonline TV.

I wondered if I setup a 2nd email account and use the ID to login to the Optimum LiveTV.app, if the 2nd ID will give access to my account information?

Anyone know?

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
i think u should be ok but it might be limited only to the email. try creating another account and login with it. this way u can see what u will be able to see or not

Maverik869

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2011
I haven't tried this but here is a thought. I did not and cannot jailbreak my iPad as I use it for work.

Has anyone tried creating a Site-To-Site VPN tunnel between 2 routers? If both routers are running DD-WRT for example, set one up as a server(home), another as a client (at work / another home / overseas / etc.), and connect to the client router at via wifi on the iPad. This technically bypasses using VPN client on the iPad that I assume iPad app is looking for.

Anyone willing to try this and share findings?

I have an extra router at home that I need to get DD-WRT installed on first before I can test this. Probably will not be able to do this for a few days but once I get this setup, I will share my findings.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/OpenVPN_-_Site-to-Site_Bridged_VPN_Between_Two_Routers

Link to DD-WRT instructions

Last edited:

milk242

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
I haven't tried this but here is a thought. I did not and cannot jailbreak my iPad as I use it for work.

Has anyone tried creating a Site-To-Site VPN tunnel between 2 routers? If both routers are running DD-WRT for example, set one up as a server(home), another as a client (at work / another home / overseas / etc.), and connect to the client router at via wifi on the iPad. This technically bypasses using VPN client on the iPad that I assume iPad app is looking for.

Anyone willing to try this and share findings?

I have an extra router at home that I need to get DD-WRT installed on first before I can test this. Probably will not be able to do this for a few days but once I get this setup, I will share my findings.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/OpenVPN_-_Site-to-Site_Bridged_VPN_Between_Two_Routers

Link to DD-WRT instructions

Good idea. It will probably work, but I don't have a second Internet source to test this. Newer builds of ddwrt should have a more gui friendly interface for setting up VPN.

iSIILENT

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2008
Need help , am not sure if i input the right information on my router and easyvpn, but i get the connection going and all, but when i log into the twc app and says to disable vpn..can someone help and check to see if i did it the right way i have a linksys wrt54g2 router..

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
My optimum app stopped working. I'm getting a warning message I'm running zn aunauthorized version of the Apple OS and to upgrade. It looks like it's doing an OS jail break check.

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
Yep got same thing. What a ****ing bunch of douchebags. I can't wait till the day when I can tell them to **** off and get FIOS

/End of rant

This might be a bigger problem because check is done outside the app. I think there is code on the optimum servers that does the check.

Last edited:

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
Was this from updating the optimum app? Will downgrading to a previous version get rid of this because I have all of the versions backed up.

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
Everyone there is an Optimum app update. Make sure you backup your current working version before you try the update. The update may break the deb file work around.
I updated to the new app September 7th. I'm going to try a the version prior to September 7th and see if I still get the same message.

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
I updated to the new app September 7th. I'm going to try a the version prior to September 7th and see if I still get the same message.
I rolled back to the August 8th version. I still got the message. :-( I haven't tried an older one.

kennethpetro

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2011
I've tried older ones and i still got the message. The Time Warner Cable warning began popping up after users downloaded an updated version. This Cablevision Optimum warning popped up without having to download an update to the app. I hope someone figures out a patch for this, but i have my doubts as Optimum may be able to detect a JB device on their own.

I'll be watching this one closely.

Update:
AT&T iPhone 3GS running 4.3.3 = IT WORKED!!!!!

I downloaded and installed the .deb using iFile, resprung, rebooted & it worked first try!

Last edited:

nattienat7

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2011
please help setting up VPN on Windows 7, i have a wrt160nv2 Lynksis router. Thank you!

Last edited:

nattienat7

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2011
pleaseeee help!

Sorry to be such a pest but if i can get this to work i wont miss my Jets game sundayyyy pleaseeeee! I am completely new at this. I've attempted creating a vpn on my computer but i havent had much success since my iphone can't connect to the server. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
Sorry I can't offer help. I don't use windows. Just Macs. If there is free software for the PC you should be able to duplicate the same settings on the PC.

bbduff

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2011
Optimum app v2.0.1 VPN patch

Hi all. I've followed all the steps and patched the app with the .deb for the iPhone on page 10, but I'm still getting the error. I've used hotspot shield VPN and have the optimum app version 2.0.1.

Does that patch work on v2.0.1? I've only read here that people used it on 2.0 and that the patch held when they updated to 2.0.1. I've already patched the unauthorized OS message but can't get around being locked to my home network.

I'm using win 7 btw and my iPhone is running 4.3.2. Tried setting up a VPN with win 7 and my linksys E1000 router but was having issues. Connected with hotspot shield instantly once dl'ed. Maybe it's hotspot shield? Should I update my iOS to 4.3.3? Or does that patch not work on the optimum app v2.0.1?

Any help is greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

RRoD420

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2011
Hi all. I've followed all the steps and patched the app with the .deb for the iPhone on page 10, but I'm still getting the error. I've used hotspot shield VPN and have the optimum app version 2.0.1.

Does that patch work on v2.0.1? I've only read here that people used it on 2.0 and that the patch held when they updated to 2.0.1. I've already patched the unauthorized OS message but can't get around being locked to my home network.

I'm using win 7 btw and my iPhone is running 4.3.2. Tried setting up a VPN with win 7 and my linksys E1000 router but was having issues. Connected with hotspot shield instantly once dl'ed. Maybe it's hotspot shield? Should I update my iOS to 4.3.3? Or does that patch not work on the optimum app v2.0.1?

Any help is greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

iPhone4 - 4.3.3, Cablevision iO v2.0.1
Downloaded the .deb patch for iPhone, still getting unauthorized modifications detected message. Is it possible this patch only works on 2.0? Also, I heard VPN was disabled in 2.0.1 has anyone gotten it working with this patch? Where can I find older versions like 2.0 to manually install ?

:: UPDATE ::
Finally bypassed the 'unauthorized modification detected' message and logged in on my iPhone using this deb: http://www.mediafire.com/?babafx2hp9nnk62
Is VPN still working? I'd like to watch live TV outside of my home network now that it lets me sign in on my jailbroken device.

:: UPDATE 2 ::
Got everything working. Set up a PPTP vpn in Windows 7 took seconds with NO additional 3rd party software just a new network connection. iPhone was able to connect to my vpn immediately over 3G and i'm now able to flawlessly stream live tv. Thanks Optimum, and screw YOU! Might be 1 only reason to stall the switch to FIOS (again).

I needed to installed the vpn patch .deb as well as the jailbreak detection patch .deb (see above), I found a working vpn patch on a website I forgot already. If anyone wants it, reply and i'll post a megaupload link.

Last edited:

Vincer

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2011
You say you were able to set up a PPTP vpn in Windows 7 and it took seconds with NO additional 3rd party software just a new network connection. I'm lost here, what do I put where they are asking for Internet Address and Destination Name.

Thanks

bbduff

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2011
I installed both the unauthorized firmware .deb and the VPN patch .deb (found on page 10 of this forum).

I set up a VPN on windows 7 (home edition) and set up my router (Linksys E1000) and can't connect to the VPN. My brother did the same, using a different router, and he was able to connect to his VPN but he said he didn't ave internet access through the VPN. What router and settings are you using?

I am on iOS 4.3.2 but am not sure if that has anything to do with it. I think its more of a router issue than anything else but I guess it can't hurt to go to 4.3.3.

I want to get this thing to work SO bad!

RRoD420

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2011
You say you were able to set up a PPTP vpn in Windows 7 and it took seconds with NO additional 3rd party software just a new network connection. I'm lost here, what do I put where they are asking for Internet Address and Destination Name.

Thanks
Steps to create a simple PPTP vpn server in Windows 7 with nothing extra:

Following are the steps for configuring Incoming VPN Connection in Windows 7

1. First go to Control Panel and open Network and Sharing Center.
2. Click on Change adapter settings.
3. Press Alt+F and select New Incoming connection
4. Put a check on who you’d like to give access to this computer or you can configure a new account by clicking on Add someone,after that click on Next.
Put a check mark on Through the Internet. Click on Next.
5. Select the protocols you want to enable for this connection. Click on Allow access. (I left this default and didn't change anything)

For a more illustrated tutorial, see: http://www.groovypost.com/howto/microsoft/setup-vpn-pptp-host-on-home-windows-7

After creating the connection with the above steps, you have to forward the port in your router. I have a netgear wnr2000v2, in port forwarding it had an option for PPTP VPN and it automatically forwarded it for me. If you don't have this option in your router, simply forward port 1723 to your PC's IP address. On your iDevice go to Settings, General, Network, VPN. Add a vpn configuration. Choose PPTP, description can be "Home" or whatever you want to name it. Server is your external IP address (if you don't know this, you can go to http://www.whatismyip.com and it will tell you). Account is the account name you chose to have access to the VPN (windows account) rsa securid is off, password is your windows password (if you dont have one, create one on windows to login to the PC). THATS IT. After that, I hit the vpn switch on my iphone it connects in seconds (even over 3G!)

I installed both the unauthorized firmware .deb and the VPN patch .deb (found on page 10 of this forum).

I set up a VPN on windows 7 (home edition) and set up my router (Linksys E1000) and can't connect to the VPN. My brother did the same, using a different router, and he was able to connect to his VPN but he said he didn't ave internet access through the VPN. What router and settings are you using?

I am on iOS 4.3.2 but am not sure if that has anything to do with it. I think its more of a router issue than anything else but I guess it can't hurt to go to 4.3.3.

I want to get this thing to work SO bad!

Follow my instructions above, ios version shouldn't matter. If you guys still can't get it to work, reply with where you're stuck i'll help you. This WORKS 100% I can confirm, i'm watching TV while at my office

Last edited:

anukfdo

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2011
I have an iPad 2 with 4.3.3 not jail broken & an iPhone 4 Verizon with 4.2.8 jailbroken.

I setup the VPN on Windows 7 and can connect to the home network on both IOS devices.

However, when I start the optimum app on the devices it says "Network connection needed". Im guessing I need the VPN patch.

Can you please upload it and let me know if it would work on both the iphone4 and ipad2?

Thank you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.