Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AAPLaday

Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
We still have no plans to support Steamplay at the current time in any of our titles however if circumstances change and we are able to have our games on Steam we will let everyone know.

Cheers,

Edwin

Boo! Haha :)

Is it a licensing thing or would it take too long to implement? Just trying to get an idea on how it works :)

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Boo! Haha :)

Is it a licensing thing or would it take too long to implement? Just trying to get an idea on how it works :)

We are very keen to work with Valve. Unfortunately, Steam's business model makes it difficult for us to participate at the present time. As soon as we have a game which will work with the business model we will be delighted to have it delivered by Steam

We can't disclose any details, because our discussions are covered under an NDA - but there are issues around the commercial terms that are problematic.

The explanation above is the official reply hence why it is a bit more formal than my usual posts! I hope you understand although I love being able to talk to Mac gamers directly and answer questions in forums sometimes certain questions I cannot answer in detail (like this one) for obvious reasons.

Cheers,

Edwin

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
The bottom line, regardless of corporate BS, is that you are releasing an inherently *and unarguably* inferior and hobbled product.

The reasons WHY you are doing so are your own.

But make no mistake - what you are choosing to do is no different than if EA chose to release Call of Duty whatever version for the Mac ... but without online multiplayer.

Oh well ... hopefully the 'business model' of screwing over and isolating Mac gamers is working for you guys.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
My guess is that under some (very simplified) arrangement, Feral pays Edios a portion of each copy of Deus Ex: HR that is sold. In addition, they would have to pay Steam a portion of sales too.

Add on top of that, Feral probably needs to provide support for Mac users and any ongoing updates, and you might have a situation that just isn't financially viable or worth pursuing for Feral.

Hansr

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2007
You're wrong; the game will be the same without Steamplay. You just don't get it for free if you already own the PC version. I don't see how that's isolating anyone... :confused:

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
The bottom line, regardless of corporate BS, is that you are releasing an inherently *and unarguably* inferior and hobbled product.

There is no difference between the in game features of the Mac, PC or console versions of the game. The Mac version (like the consoles) does not support one of the online stores (Steam) for reasons other posters and myself have commented on.

All versions of the game are stand alone and owning one SKU does not mean you get the others for free. If you buy a Steam PC version of a game you don't get a console version for free either.

In terms of automatic updates, DRM etc the stand alone Feral version has in fact a more flexible DRM than Steam and the patches are directly hosted so you don't get any delays for approvals if a patch is needed. Steam does have a few user features like online achievements (instead of in game only) which currently Feral don't currently support.

We have consistently added features for Mac users, we have had built in updaters in all our games for years along with other features like iChat status and iTunes music pausing and we add to this all the time. We don't comment on possible future features but I hope our track record shows that we do spend a lot of time and effort making the Mac version of the game as Mac like as possible to give the users the best experience.

I strongly feel there is a difference between a "Mac game" and "a game that runs on a Mac" and we always aim to make sure a Feral game is the first type not the second.

Edwin

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
You're wrong; the game will be the same without Steamplay. You just don't get it for free if you already own the PC version. I don't see how that's isolating anyone... :confused:

Oh yeah, they are the same ...

* So when I go from one Mac to the next I can simply pick up my game where I left off! Oh wait, THAT feature was ripped out of the 'same' game, so I have to restart on all of my Macs.

* So if I want to install on my tri-boot Mac with limited HD space I can simply one-click install rather than having to allocate ~2.5x the space to allow for download and install. Oh wait, THAT feature was ripped out of the 'same' game.

* So if I take a cool screenshot of something I did and wanted to share it I can immediately do so. Oh wait, THAT feature was ripped out of the 'same' game.

* So when I get those achievements ... Oh wait, THAT feature was ripped out of the 'same' game.

* So when one of my friends is online and playing the game ... Oh wait, THAT feature was ripped out of the 'same' game.

* So when the game is patched I won't have to wait and wonder IF and WHEN it will eventually propagate to the Mac ... Oh wait, THAT feature was ripped out of the 'same' game.

and on and on ... while the 'levels' are the same, what Steam and Steamplay offers is considerable. So while we might be getting the same core experience, it is FAR from an equivalent game.

Now if they were honest and said 'since you are getting a gimped version months after the original we will only charge $30' that would be one thing ... but since it will come out costing MORE than *anyone* is paying for the PC version ... you are simply paying MORE and getting LESS.

If you are fine with that ... great.

allfunandgames

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2010
Auckland, New Zealand
We still have no plans to support Steamplay at the current time in any of our titles however if circumstances change and we are able to have our games on Steam we will let everyone know.

Cheers,

Edwin

Thanks for the reply, Edwin, even if it is what I feared! Feral should think about maybe releasing just ONE game on Steamplay, just so you can see all the sales you are missing out on (or not!):) The matchmaking on Steam is one of the major reasons I use and buy games there.

Still, good on you guys for supporting the Mac gaming scene and thanks again for the answer.

Hansr

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2007
Fine substitute game with gameplay in my above post as that's what I meant, yes you don't get the framework support but the core gameplay shouldn't change. Personally I buy all my games on Steam except for those only on AppStore or retail but they are quite few now a days. I'd love to have Feral games in Steam but if it means they can't financially maintain a sufficient margin to keep their operation going than that's something that can't be changed.

* So when I go from one Mac to the next I can simply pick up my game where I left off! Oh wait, THAT feature was ripped out of the 'same' game, so I have to restart on all of my Macs.

* So if I want to install on my tri-boot Mac with limited HD space I can simply one-click install rather than having to allocate ~2.5x the space to allow for download and install. Oh wait, THAT feature was ripped out of the 'same' game.

Valid points but I'd naively guess 95% of users will only run it on one Mac.

* So if I take a cool screenshot of something I did and wanted to share it I can immediately do so. Oh wait, THAT feature was ripped out of the 'same' game.

* So when I get those achievements ... Oh wait, THAT feature was ripped out of the 'same' game.

* So when one of my friends is online and playing the game ... Oh wait, THAT feature was ripped out of the 'same' game.

That's sort of nit picking...

You can still share the screen shot easily.

Achievements might still be there but not linked to your Steam account. Does that truly matter to anyone other than people who have a lot of time on their hands and love doing the whole 100% thing and showing off about it?

Why would you care about your friend being online playing a single player game?

* So when the game is patched I won't have to wait and wonder IF and WHEN it will eventually propagate to the Mac ... Oh wait, THAT feature was ripped out of the 'same' game.

Just taking Civ 5 as an example, the Mac updates are lagged despite Steamplay :( But that's Aspyr for you.

I think out of those points the last one is the only one most people will be concerned about, but only if it's something game stopping as there is no multiplayer and therefore no need for version synchronicity on that front for cross platform gameplay.

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
There is no difference between the in game features of the Mac, PC or console versions of the game. The Mac version (like the consoles) does not support one of the online stores (Steam) for reasons other posters and myself have commented on.

All versions of the game are stand alone and owning one SKU does not mean you get the others for free. If you buy a Steam PC version of a game you don't get a console version for free either.

There is exactly ONE game (Portal 2) that is on the console supporting Steamplay ... and that is from Valve. It is a specious argument and you know it.

If Feral has decided to tear out a core element of the game, that is their decision ... but let's be honest.

The Mac is a COMPUTER. It runs the full and identical version of Steam that works on the PC ... and does so very successfully. Trying to compare across to consoles (i.e. NOT computers) again makes you sound disingenuous. Again, a specious argument.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a Steam/Steamworks/Steamplay game. Period. ANYONE who has bought a COMPUTER version of the game has it on Steam. Period. Because THAT is how it was designed.

So, again, be honest - you have ripped out a fundamental part of the experience of playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution on a COMPUTER. Period.

I strongly feel there is a difference between a "Mac game" and "a game that runs on a Mac" and we always aim to make sure a Feral game is the first type not the second.

So I guess your definition of 'Mac Game' and mine are different. Because MINE doesn't mean 'tearing out anything that might make you think you are playing a PC game'.

You simply cannot pretend that Steam doesn't exist, that most multi-platform gamers don't already have literally dozens (in my case over a hundred) of games that show that a game CAN be a 'Mac game' and still support all that Steam brings to the table.

Again ... it is your company's right to do as they choose. And in the case of something like Fable, there was no reason to go to the Steamplay route. But in this case ... where it was an inherent part from Day One ... the arguments don't wash.

----------

That's sort of nit picking...

That is the point, though. If you are fine with a lesser package, that is great. But to charge $10 MORE for an inherently inferior version? That is incredible hubris.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Oh yeah, they are the same ...

I understand your anger and I know no matter what I say you will still be upset and complain. :(

Let me tell you what Feral games do have you might not know about these as you may not have not owned a Feral game before. These features are not always like for like but they are similar (but maybe not quite as convenient in some cases before you reply). :)

One fairly big plus for some users is that Mac version has offline play with no internet connection ever required for the DVD version and a one time serial check if you buy the game online. Steam uses the internet a lot more frequently which for users in remote areas can be a pain.

We have a button that opens your save game folder so you can easily drag the save game onto a USB stick or make that folder a drop box sync folder (unless the PC save game format is encrypted PC saves should work great on the Mac too).

As far as I know steamplay games require Mac and PC game data to be separate so if the game is 6 GB you need 6 GB for the PC and 6GB for the Mac. All Feral games are drag and drop so you don't need to worry about keeping a copy of the installer.

We have a built in screenshot feature in all our games it even embeds metadata of the game name, version number of the game, your OS version graphics card and VRAM as well as the usual date and time. We don't have a "share on xxx" option but we do have screenshots with metadata which when comparing different machines with your friends can be handy. :)

Features will be recorded, displayed in the game although it does not sync with an online service at the moment but the save games do record all the information so a simple patch will be able to share all this info without you having to replay the game if such a service becomes available in the future.

Although this game is single player we do have iChat status updates which means friends on your iChat will see what you are playing (if you want them to). This feature is in all our games.

All our games have always been patched to the latest version of the title and I cannot think of any game we have shipped since we started porting games to the Mac that did not run the latest PC patched version of the code. Deus Ex for example will include all the patches released on the PC on launch and we will patch it with updates as they become available. There might be a slight delay between the patches so we can test it on the Mac and make sure it is fully tested but especially if the patch is urgent we do this as quick as possible. I also would like to note Feral also release patches to fix bugs on the Mac even if a PC patch has not been released, some games originally got released on OS X 10.2 yet are still patched and supported to this day.

Theme Park World runs on 10.6 (in Rosetta) with the latest patch yet it was originally an OS 8 game!

and on and on ... while the 'levels' are the same, what Steam and Steamplay offers is considerable. So while we might be getting the same core experience, it is FAR from an equivalent game.

Yes some of the extra platform specific features are different but a lot of the features you listed don't exist on the console versions either. Steamplay does have some nice features and we don't currently have equivalents for all the features right now but the actual game will stand up on the Mac to the same degree as the console and PC versions.

Now if they were honest and said 'since you are getting a gimped version months after the original we will only charge $30' that would be one thing ... but since it will come out costing MORE than *anyone* is paying for the PC version ... you are simply paying MORE and getting LESS.

If you are fine with that ... great.

The Mac version of all Feral games has never shipped for more than the original RRP of the PC/Console versions as far as I know. I cannot deny the Mac price is usually higher for longer but you have to remember that the Mac market is a lot smaller than the PC market so the number of sales is lower so it takes longer to recoup the costs of porting the game than the PC port.

Again ... it is your company's right to do as they choose. And in the case of something like Fable, there was no reason to go to the Steamplay route. But in this case ... where it was an inherent part from Day One ... the arguments don't wash.

If this was just about the features of Steamplay and nothing else then you would be completely correct but as I touched upon earlier the issue is not with the features but that the current financial model Steam demand for Steamplay on the Mac means it is not currently viable for us to have our games on Steam.

Cheers,

Edwin

Last edited:

Hansr

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2007
That is the point, though. If you are fine with a lesser package, that is great. But to charge $10 MORE for an inherently inferior version? That is incredible hubris.

I bought the game retail on day one so I have it on Steam already, but I would be willing to pay $10 more not to have to restart into Windows.

AAPLaday

Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
Well i finally got the game today (day off work especially!) and its fantastic! Only just finished the first mission (one with hostages not the intro) and boy is it amazing! Love the cover system and the multiple ways to complete missions. The Augs will be great from what i can tell. Have 2 points to spend but havent done so yet. Love the fact that a few shots can kill you. Was worried it might be too run and gun bit its not!

Running it on Onlive so its not at full res or highest specs but its better than my iMac could produce natively (2600HD). Really makes me want to get a gaming laptop now!

Last edited:

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
I understand your anger and I know no matter what I say you will still be upset and complain. :(

'Complain' is different than 'debate'. I don't have a copy of the Mac game, therefore I am not in a position to 'complain'. However, I DO have the PC game, many Mac-only and PC-only games and also many Mac/PC hybrid games as well as Steam and non-Steam dual releases ... and have some valid things worth 'debating'.

Let me tell you what Feral games do have you might not know about these as you may not have not owned a Feral game before. These features are not always like for like but they are similar (but maybe not quite as convenient in some cases before you reply). :)

I have been gaming on an Apple product since buying Castle Wolfenstein for my Apple ][+ 30 years ago ... and I have bought several games through the years from Feral. Like most people I have always appreciated the quality and responsiveness you guys have brought to Mac ports, as oppsed to Aspyr who went from the 'better than PC' Jedi Knight II in 2002 to ... whatever they are now.

However, since we are detailing history, you (and Feral) must surely acknowledge that over the last 3 years in particular the gaming industry has changed dramatically. The iOS app store has changed forever monetization of games and expectations regarding timeliness and pricing. Then a year and a half ago Mac & PC gaming changed when Steam launched on the Mac.

At this point most Mac gamers who would be looking at a 'AAA' game like Deus Ex would have to have made a serious investment in a computer to run the game, and therefore be serious enough gamers to already be using Steam extensively and therefore have some assumptions associated with it.

By the time I bought XIII for the Mac I KNEW it was an 'investment' rather than a 'good purchase'. The game wasn't great, the price was too high (XIII was close to bargain binning at that point), the performance was mediocre, and so on. But I LOVE my Macs and prefer to game on them as well, so I support game development for the Mac and the companies who bring them there as much as possible. But there are also financial realities at play here - for gamers as well as developers & publishers.

I assume I am not alone in buying games I really don't need in order to support a developer. But with more games and more platforms than ever and an economy that just seems to be constantly putting the screws to normal people, that is not an easy luxury anymore. The question is really are we better off with the imperfect but (IMO) acceptable Duke Nukem Forever / Modern Warfare / Civ V / etc Steam versions with all Steam features for no additional money ... or a better port with pretty much all non-game features removed for an extra $50?

Yes some of the extra platform specific features are different but a lot of the features you listed don't exist on the console versions either.

Again, the whole console thing is a purely specious argument, and you are truly disingenuous for continuing to invoke it. Consoles don't run Steam. Period. So give it up already. When consoles run a full-on Steam client come back and we can have a feature-by-feature comparison.

You also mention a number of 'alternate features'. In other words, you don't support something that is inherent in the PC version, but have a different feature instead. I'm sure we could debate the balance of those all day long, but I'll come back to the 'separate but equal is NOT equal' argument.

Perhaps I am overly sensitive since one thing I do for GearDiary is review laptops. Right now on my dining room table there are four different laptops I am reviewing. The ability in Steam to have a game with SteamCloud saves and move from one system to the next and jump to the same point and check playability and grab screens is awesome. Also, the whole 'cloud' nature of things means not having to worry about save file transfer - regardless of how convenient.

The Mac version of all Feral games has never shipped for more than the original RRP of the PC/Console versions as far as I know.

Yes, but the case of Fable is truly instructive - shipping a game 3 years later than the PC version, for $50 on the Mac when the PC version was regular priced at $20 with sales of $5 occuring frequently ... well, it is a choice. In fact, the most ironic part was that Fable WAS on a $5 sale exactly when the Mac version was released! It might not be "more than the original RRP" ... but it was $30 more than it was POSSIBLE to pay for the PC version, and 10X what the same-day PC price was at that point!

If this was just about the features of Steamplay and nothing else then you would be completely correct but as I touched upon earlier the issue is not with the features but that the current financial model Steam demand for Steamplay on the Mac means it is not currently viable for us to have our games on Steam.

If you cannot support a platform, you should not develop for that platform.

If you choose to release a flight simulator and support trackpad gestures but not support joysticks you have shipped an inherently inferior product.

If you choose to release a multiplayer-centric game that already has a popular release but choose to make multiplayer Mac-only because 'you don't like the business model' of the multiplayer server client 'but provide your own with some even better features' ... you have shipped an inherently inferior product.

I can definitely imagine that the revenue sharing model for Mac games on Steam is problematic, but again, Deus Ex is different from (for example) Fable in that Steam is wrapped into seemingly every element to the point that removing those elements - even to put in your own 'similar but not same' elements - still results in a lesser product.

And as I posed before: The question is really are we better off with the imperfect but (IMO) acceptable Duke Nukem Forever / Modern Warfare / Civ V / etc Steam versions with all Steam features for no additional money ... or a better port with pretty much all non-game features removed for an extra $50?

I bought the game retail on day one so I have it on Steam already, but I would be willing to pay $10 more not to have to restart into Windows.

Um ... I think you mean $50 more.

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
If I choose to rebuy yes, I meant in the 'had I not bought the Windows version sense'.

Very true, but I was replying to the "I have it on Steam already" comment you made.

Of course, if we found out a Mac version was coming BEFORE the PC release, it would be entirely different. Then it would be a FAIR choice - get the Steam PC version or the non-Steam Mac version. But when a game arrives and most fans of the franchise have already completed the game before the Mac port is announced it is entirely different.

And honestly I would be willing to pay the $10 for a Mac Steamworks version in addition to my PC copy.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
At this point most Mac gamers who would be looking at a 'AAA' game like Deus Ex would have to have made a serious investment in a computer to run the game, and therefore be serious enough gamers to already be using Steam extensively and therefore have some assumptions associated with it.

I think that is a big assumption to make, you are basically arguing that all Mac gamers dual boot and already own the Windows version of the game? The list of games on Mac Steam is quite small compared to the list of Mac games on AppStore and other Mac digital stores.

This is very different compared to Windows where Steam is a lot more dominant.

Again, the whole console thing is a purely specious argument, and you are truly disingenuous for continuing to invoke it. Consoles don't run Steam. Period. So give it up already. When consoles run a full-on Steam client come back and we can have a feature-by-feature comparison.

Firstly they do to a degree but lets not start splitting hairs as that just gets into a finger pointing argument I would love to avoid. :) My point is Steam is a online service but first and foremost it is a store designed to make Valve money. To use the online services you have to sign up to their online store terms and conditions. If you cannot join the store then you cannot get their screenshots and save game syncing etc.

You also mention a number of 'alternate features'. In other words, you don't support something that is inherent in the PC version, but have a different feature instead. I'm sure we could debate the balance of those all day long, but I'll come back to the 'separate but equal is NOT equal' argument.

Sure we can argue that features that provide the same service but in a different way are not equal. The point I was trying to make to everyone reading and yourself is that the Mac version does have similar features you could easily argue that the iChat "Away playing Deus Ex" feature is more useful to your average Mac user than the Steam method.

Your friends know you are playing without having to open Steam on their machine. That is an example by the way I am not saying it is better or worse just that it is easy to go round in circles about things like is feature on platform X the same as features on platform Y.

Perhaps I am overly sensitive since one thing I do for GearDiary is review laptops. Right now on my dining room table there are four different laptops I am reviewing. The ability in Steam to have a game with SteamCloud saves and move from one system to the next and jump to the same point and check playability and grab screens is awesome. Also, the whole 'cloud' nature of things means not having to worry about save file transfer - regardless of how convenient.

That does explain a few things :) I assume all those laptops are Mac's ;)

Yes, but the case of Fable is truly instructive - shipping a game 3 years later than the PC version, for $50 on the Mac when the PC version was regular priced at $20 with sales of $5 occuring frequently ... well, it is a choice. In fact, the most ironic part was that Fable WAS on a $5 sale exactly when the Mac version was released! It might not be "more than the original RRP" ... but it was $30 more than it was POSSIBLE to pay for the PC version, and 10X what the same-day PC price was at that point!

Comparing the price of a game that has just been released has sold no copies and is a brand new game for Mac users to a game that is a few years old on the PC and has sold millions of units is a bit of a specious argument to borrow a phase :)

If you cannot support a platform, you should not develop for that platform.

We support the Mac platform, supporting a digital store (or not) is not the same as a platform. It is more like middleware (GameSpy or GFWL) if anything.

If you choose to release a multiplayer-centric game that already has a popular release but choose to make multiplayer Mac-only because 'you don't like the business model' of the multiplayer server client 'but provide your own with some even better features' ... you have shipped an inherently inferior product.

Often Mac <-> PC networking is down to the OS maths library built into the OS's which are different stopping the game from being able to be network compatible. When I mean not possible I don't mean "it's a bit too hard" I mean without patching the PC version to a platform agnostic library it cannot be done. This is why UE games usually have great networking as they use their own maths library specifically so cross platform networking will work. I was surprised when I was just a forum poster that this was the case but now I am a (Mac) gamer and a Mac game maker I can tell you that is the reason for many networking issues.

I can definitely imagine that the revenue sharing model for Mac games on Steam is problematic, but again, Deus Ex is different from (for example) Fable in that Steam is wrapped into seemingly every element to the point that removing those elements - even to put in your own 'similar but not same' elements - still results in a lesser product.

Steam is wrapped into the non-game elements of the game. Yes it does have some nice features but once you enter full screen on console, PC or Mac they will have the same experience give or take the odd graphics options and controller support. Most of the Steam features have some sort of Mac equivalent and the Mac's features are growing all the time.

And as I posed before: The question is really are we better off with the imperfect but (IMO) acceptable Duke Nukem Forever / Modern Warfare / Civ V / etc Steam versions with all Steam features for no additional money ... or a better port with pretty much all non-game features removed for an extra $50?

I have been happy to debate the point (I think the fact I have posted a few times in this thread instead of ignoring it proves that point).

I could put forward the argument that the debate could also be seen as "Are we happier with a game that has different (but sometimes Mac only) online features or not have the game on the Mac at all?"

For a Mac game to be ported you have to have the ability to cover the development costs associated with porting the product if you cannot then the port is not viable. This is why I use consoles in the debate as they are a different platform which have different but similar features and equally they will not get a version of a game unless it is fincially viable for the publisher to do so.

Anyway it is what it is, I hope you and everyone reading can see both sides of the debate and gain a bit more knowledge about the pro's and con's of Mac porting. I do take all of the chats and debates in the forum seriously and they do feedback into internal debates on future features we have in our games so if you think you have a great idea feel free to email our support line or drop me a PM.

I think this might be a good time for me to sign off on this particular debate but it has been enjoyable posting with all of you in the thread.

Edwin

deadwulfe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
Wall of text:

Steam is convenient, but to make an illogical conclusion of everyone who plays AAA titles all play it on Steam with top of the line rigs is someone who only hangs out with their own crowd.

You can go to Steam forums, you can check these forums, check Witcher forums, check even the Eidos forums and you will find people installing the games from physical discs for one of three reasons: 1) They have a slow internet connection 2) They don't want to buy it through Steam or any other download service 3) They want to have a physical copy because they don't trust download services. There are plenty of people who choose not to use Steam and that is a choice I'd rather people have than not have.

Steam is crazy convenient, but stop pushing it to be a monopoly. Steam wont absorb the employees of the competition. If you lost your job, Steam wont pay your bills. Stop acting like you owe them. These other companies are trying to keep people employed and you're complaining about screenshots that cramp your work style and achievments that haven't taken off for the PC like they have on the Xbox.

Also you cannot assume that every person that owns a Mac and plays games also runs Windows through Bootcamp. That is entirely false! There have been plenty of posts from members here who have specifically stated they do not want or hate the idea of running Windows on their sexy Mac!

I personally don't care who you write for. Your arguments are borderline arguing for the sake of arguing instead of providing reasonable debates that draw from facts instead of personal opinions on Steam.

Go bash the Mac owners who encourage Civ V's Aspyr ports and play the game on Windows, because they say the Mac version is unplayable the next time you feel like laying into someone.

You can look at Feral's track record and no, they don't offer you Steam, they offer you the quality you expect for the game you've purchased.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
I'm not sure why there is so much negativity and hostility in this thread. At the end of the day Feral is a business and more importantly a business that caters to Mac gamers. They run their business in a way that is viable for them and allows them to stay in business. Consequently this allows them to continue to support the Mac gaming community and release more games that are Mac compatible. Rather then whine and complain if anyone is not happy about the direct native Mac gaming support by companies like Feral and Aspyr can always get a Windows based PC.

----------

Wall of text:

Steam is convenient, but to make an illogical conclusion of everyone who plays AAA titles all play it on Steam with top of the line rigs is someone who only hangs out with their own crowd.

You can go to Steam forums, you can check these forums, check Witcher forums, check even the Eidos forums and you will find people installing the games from physical discs for one of three reasons: 1) They have a slow internet connection 2) They don't want to buy it through Steam or any other download service 3) They want to have a physical copy because they don't trust download services. There are plenty of people who choose not to use Steam and that is a choice I'd rather people have than not have.

Steam is crazy convenient, but stop pushing it to be a monopoly. Steam wont absorb the employees of the competition. If you lost your job, Steam wont pay your bills. Stop acting like you owe them. These other companies are trying to keep people employed and you're complaining about screenshots that cramp your work style and achievments that haven't taken off for the PC like they have on the Xbox.

Also you cannot assume that every person that owns a Mac and plays games also runs Windows through Bootcamp. That is entirely false! There have been plenty of posts from members here who have specifically stated they do not want or hate the idea of running Windows on their sexy Mac!

I personally don't care who you write for. Your arguments are borderline arguing for the sake of arguing instead of providing reasonable debates that draw from facts instead of personal opinions on Steam.

Go bash the Mac owners who encourage Civ V's Aspyr ports and play the game on Windows, because they say the Mac version is unplayable the next time you feel like laying into someone.

You can look at Feral's track record and no, they don't offer you Steam, they offer you the quality you expect for the game you've purchased.

Well said.

----------

For what it's worth Edwin I and I'm sure many others here appreciate your participation and input here as well as Feral's efforts to bring games to the Mac platform. Most developers and publishers don't even bother giving their input in public forums like this.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
My feedback on Steamplay (or lack of...)

It would be one thing if the Mac version was announced before the release of the PC version. But as it stands, I figured the game would not be coming to Mac, so I bought the Augmented Edition of the PC version. I'd like to support Mac gaming any way I can, but it's just easier for me to stick with the PC client at this point. I can't see dropping $50 on the Mac version of a game I've already finished.

Again, if I knew ahead of time, things would be different. I would have held out for the Mac version.

(On the other hand, do a Mac OS X version of DX1, and you've got my money. :p )

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I thought the boss fights were ridiculously easy tbh.

Throw a few self detonating explosives at their feet about 4-5 times and they all go down the same way. Took me about 1-2 minutes to defeat each one tops.

Yup. Run, hide, throw. Start with xyz grenade.

Explosive barrels / grenades works great. That's why grenades take up so much space in inventory.

I'm not sure why there is so much negativity and hostility in this thread. At the end of the day Feral is a business and more importantly a business that caters to Mac gamers. They run their business in a way that is viable for them and allows them to stay in business. Consequently this allows them to continue to support the Mac gaming community and release more games that are Mac compatible. Rather then whine and complain if anyone is not happy about the direct native Mac gaming support by companies like Feral and Aspyr can always get a Windows based PC.

----------

Well said.

----------

For what it's worth Edwin I and I'm sure many others here appreciate your participation and input here as well as Feral's efforts to bring games to the Mac platform. Most developers and publishers don't even bother giving their input in public forums like this.

Agree. It's a business. They need to pay their bills. Not everyone play it with bootcamp.

NeedMoreVideo

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2011
Holy cow?

Not only is this game actually going to come out for mac (which is awesome by the way), but we have a PR person form the company doing the port posting here?!?!

... and you guys yell at them?!? geez wow...

Anywho, Im really looking forward to the port because I'd much rather not repartition my disk and have to buy Wndows in order to play this.

Will it be available for sale digitally or only on CD? Also is the release timeframe announced?

AAPLaday

Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
We are very keen to work with Valve. Unfortunately, Steam's business model makes it difficult for us to participate at the present time. As soon as we have a game which will work with the business model we will be delighted to have it delivered by Steam

We can't disclose any details, because our discussions are covered under an NDA - but there are issues around the commercial terms that are problematic.

The explanation above is the official reply hence why it is a bit more formal than my usual posts! I hope you understand although I love being able to talk to Mac gamers directly and answer questions in forums sometimes certain questions I cannot answer in detail (like this one) for obvious reasons.

Cheers,

Edwin

Thanks for the reply Edwin. I will continue to support you guys. Now hurry up and get Mass Effect 1 & 2 and fingers crossed 3 on Mac. Oh and Splinter Cell games if your not too busy :)

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Will it be available for sale digitally or only on CD? Also is the release timeframe announced?

DVD and a wide range of digital stores including Direct2Drive, MacAppStore, Feral's WebStore, MacGameStore and more.

It will be out Winter 2011/2012 but we have not announced a firm date yet.

Edwin

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
I think this might be a good time for me to sign off on this particular debate but it has been enjoyable posting with all of you in the thread.

Edwin

Thank YOU for always being willing to drop in and debate / discuss / explain. While not a developer myself, as someone who has reviewed games for a variety of sites since the 90's I appreciate not only how difficult it is, but also the double-edged sword of daring to venture into game forums! Jeff Vogel of Spiderweb wrote an article on that a bit ago ...

Comparing the price of a game that has just been released has sold no copies and is a brand new game for Mac users to a game that is a few years old on the PC and has sold millions of units is a bit of a specious argument to borrow a phase :)

Absolutely agree! It was meant more for context than anything else - not blaming Feral ... heck, when Call of Duty 2 came to the Pocket PC PDA it cost $30 and the PC game was under $20!

That does explain a few things :) I assume all those laptops are Mac's ;)

Not all - right now it is 2 Macs and 5 PC's ... with 4 of those PCs going away after the weekend and the other on a 'long term assessment'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.