Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today hosted a grand opening event for its new Nanjing East retail store in Shanghai, the company's largest store in China so far. M.I.C gadget posts a series of photos of the opening and reports that over 500 people were on hand for the event. The store reportedly employs 300 people.

nanjing_east_staff.jpg

Nanjing East store staff assembled for grand opening
The main portion of the store covers two floors, and as with many such locations the first floor is focused on product displays while the second floor is dedicated to customer support and training. Additional floors include space for meeting with business customers and offices for Apple's Chinese operations.

nanjing_east_inside.jpg

Inside front entrance of Nanjing East retail store
Apple will be opening another massive new store in the region tomorrow as its IFC Mall store in Hong Kong debuts. Checking in at over 16,000 square feet and with over 300 employees of its own, the new Hong Kong store offers a prominent presence for Apple in one of the world's major financial and shopping centers.

In addition to the two new flagship stores in Shanghai and Hong Kong, Apple will be opening five other stores tomorrow as the company closes out fiscal 2011 and sets the stage for its upcoming iPhone launch.

Article Link: Apple Opens Massive New Nanjing East Retail Store in Shanghai

d4rkc4sm

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2011
this will be considered a normal sized store for not too long. china is a huge market.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
That picture makes the store look long and skinny but not really big. Is there some larger area that isn't in the photos? The interior photo really doesn't make the store look any bigger than the stores here in NY.

Touchscreen technology is going to be big in Asia. One of the factors that all the analysts miss is that Asia is huge (okay then didn't miss that) and that they never really liked the QWERTY keyboard with all the Western Alphabet Characters on it. The iPad/iPhone is the computer that they've been waiting for. Selling 20 to 30 million iOS devices to China alone every year should be very doable.

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
USA
16,000 sq ft is larger than a lot of Best Buys! All to support one brand. Pretty neat.

Yeah but Best Buy has like 2000 stores. Apple would have to build a bunch to beat that. But I'd rather have 400 Apple stores than 2000 Best Buy stores.

And, like you said, it's all for one brand, which is impressive.

soft

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2009
I was there.. and I shooted some video too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2073L7pGcc

When I talked to an Apple employee, he told me that there will be total 5 Apple stores in Shanghai. I don't know if its true of if he was confused.

The people first in queue got a free Apple t-shirt in a small white box.

Last edited:

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Thanks for youtube video. It looks bigger in the video. At least there is plenty of room for folks to wait on line.

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
Wow. Is possible they have more customers since China economy is not poor as is your country. More customer = more employee. Very simple logic. :rolleyes:

LOL are you for real? At least we have freedom of speech/religion/assembly over here...

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
All I'm sayin is, if they've spent all this time and money erecting all these stores, I sure as hell hope the same can be said about the upcoming iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.