Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

codyc815

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2009
lol

But china does not have tea party. So they progress while you 'assemble'. lol

Article is of Chinese store. Apple stores in china show progress toward middle class. Is painful for you to see? Why so angry? :rolleyes:

But we innovate while they blindly produce what we created :D

Zulithe

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2010
San Francisco, CA
I think it is fantastic, the store looks great, and has created a lot of jobs!

I still don't know how a store this big can work in China... how can so many Chinese afford Apple products? In the USA, they are very expensive... easily 2x or more of a similar product made by other companies (ie Macbooks)

I guess the products are priced cheaper there, but if so, I wonder just how much cheaper?

soft

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2009

I still don't know how a store this big can work in China... how can so many Chinese afford Apple products? In the USA, they are very expensive... easily 2x or more of a similar product made by other companies (ie Macbooks)

I guess the products are priced cheaper there, but if so, I wonder just how much cheaper?

An unlocked iPhone 4 is 4999 rmb= $783,that is $156 cheaper than the Europe price so I think it's cheap. The average salary in Shanghai is $470 a month.

If you come to China you will witness the iPhone revolution here. You see IPhones everywhere and everyone wants one. Apple has been unable to meet the demand for iPhone 4 until the last few months(!).

hkenneth

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2011
Slow progress, its really for rich people.:)

Considering in Shanghai, the average price of estate is 30,000 RMB (4,650 USD) per square meter (that is 50,000 USD for a small apartment), I guess it is for middle-low income people LOL

----------

Not cheaper actually more expensive (because of tax, China usually include tax in the price tag). Only iPod nano is a tiny little bit cheaper (less than 10 bucks).

hkenneth

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2011
Maybe ipods and ipads. but macs are for rich people

Yeah, PC still rules the market in China, but I did notice in Chinese forums, that more and more people discussing Mac, while years ago, people considered Mac to be only for graphics designers.

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada

You really think urban China is THAT poor? You really need to open your eyes to the rapid development happening in the far east... Things are changing yearly - and for the most part the better.

This store is located in Shanghai - housing in this city is quite expensive ... in fact, it would not be unusual for an average apartment to cost more than a house in the US.

In any case, yes the city still has a lot of poorer people, but with a population of 25 million it is already many times bigger than most North American cities... so if only a fraction of the people purchase Apple products, this store will still do very well.

Last edited:

throx

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2011

Is time to have a visit to China and open your eyes. :D
Many people didn't realise that China development is already by pass many Country such as America, Japan, etc..

Yeah, you may not agree but go and check it out before you say something like freedom of speech, human rights etc...

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land

Seriously... China has more 4.5x the population of the US and a very rapidly expanding middle class.

China is a rich place, there are plenty of people with money to burn - and Chinese like showing their wealth off.

Time to travel a bit, Zulithe and learn what the rest of the world is like!

Sardonick007

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
Chuckle

Somehow I always think of Chinese (and most asian) people as reserved and professional. I can't picture a Chinese hippy slacker in a genius shirt. It makes me laugh.

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
In other news.. long lines of American scalpers are lining up way before the official store opening to snatch up the supply of iPad 2's are underway.

Sardonick007

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
Uh

Dude. Really? We're not as big and powerful as our media would have you believe. We're not as free either. I'm not saying it's drastically different, but the rest of the world isn't all what you see on CNN and those nutty non-profit late night commercials. It's not all "3rd World" out there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.