Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Comcast, the United States' largest cable and internet provider, is working on a television streaming solution for iPads, to compete with Cablevision and Time Warner. The streaming product was announced earlier this year, but details haven't been released until now.

The product, called AnyPlay, allows Comcast subscribers to view live television on their iPad as long as it's connected to their home network; users must have a special Motorola box which, apparently, takes the live cable stream and sends it directly to the Xfinity TV iPad app over a local wireless network. The service won't work over Wi-Fi from other locations, or via 3G.

Other solutions, like Time Warner's, stream live video over an internet connection. Comcast's AnyPlay appears to be a cable box that sends video to the iPad rather than to a television. Users can watch "most" channels included with their Xfinity TV service. Users can register up to 10 tablets, but only watch live TV on one tablet at a time.

Currently, Xfinity customers can use the Xfinity TV app to watch On Demand programming, search TV listings, and schedule DVR recordings.

There is no indication of release dates or availability, but AnyPlay will be available in limited markets at first, and spreading to all Comcast customers eventually.

Comcast previously used the "AnyPlay" name on an announced but never released product with Panasonic in 2008.

Article Link: Comcast Working on iPad TV Streaming Service Called AnyPlay

guru_ck

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2005
Bay Area, CA
This is stupid. I don't want to watch TV on my iPad at Home, I'd turn on my television for that. And I'm definitely not replacing my Time Capsule with some craptastic Motorola Wi-Fi device.

jlgolson

Contributing Editor
Jun 2, 2011
Durango, CO
This is stupid. I don't want to watch TV on my iPad at Home, I'd turn on my television for that. And I'm definitely not replacing my Time Capsule with some craptastic Motorola Wi-Fi device.
I believe it's a box that plugs into your existing Wi-Fi network.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Was excited when I saw the headline since I'm a Comcast subscriber and feel like the service is missing a lot of things (esp. considering the cost!)

But when I saw what it actually is...

I have no interest.
I don't want to watch live TV on my iPad (or Mac for that matter).
Geeze, I've got a couple of half decent TVs... why not watch on one of them, like I already can?

(not that there are not uses for this... there are... but it's a niche thing. I have higher hopes.

nigo33

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2011

why is it stupid? i have 1 TV, and share it with wife and lil kids.

or, how about the college kids who don't have a tv and share an apartment.

it doesnt say you have to replace anything.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Um, how does this compete with Cablevision and Time Warner? None of them compete in the same areas.

As for Cablevision's app, it is awesome.

nigo33

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2011
Was excited when I saw the headline since I'm a Comcast subscriber and feel like the service is missing a lot of things (esp. considering the cost!)

But when I saw what it actually is...

I have no interest.
I don't want to watch live TV on my iPad (or Mac for that matter).
Geeze, I've got a couple of half decent TVs... why not watch on one of them, like I already can?

(not that there are not uses for this... there are... but it's a niche thing. I have higher hopes.

slingbox

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I used to love the TW app for the iPad. You could watch your favorite shows anywhere(ie bathroom lol) in your home. Nice to see other cable companies doing the same thing.

MetalMoon

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2010
San Jose
Might come in handle if the tv's in your house are all being used and you want to watch something different. Or if your in the bathroom. Maybe you want to cook breakfast and watch the news. It has some uses if you think about it.

RASTERMAN

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2011
OnlyPlay...

Poor choice of branding and a nearly useless service. Spend the money I send you monthly on developing a decent, flexable service that I can use when I'm away from home. THAT would add value.

The "AnyPlay" brand might be appropriate if we were able to play from "Anywhere" on "Anything" at "Anytime" but not on only one iPad at a time and only from home.

What they're apparently offering is really "OnlyPlay."

Cheers!

---RASTER

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Assuming it's similar to the Motorola box I tried (and returned) with CenturyLink's Prism service...good luck with that. :rolleyes:

danielwsmithee

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2005
You can pretty much already do exactly this with Elgato's EyeTV, though I assume Comcast's solution would work with encrypted channels.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier

It's not a separate WiFi device. It's a new Cable box that has WiFi in it.

This would be great if person A is watching a show in one room and person B wants to watch a different program in room B and use Airplay to send it to their TV set.
It basically removes the cost of a second set-top box but I'm sure Comcast will charge for it.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Bravo Comcast......by requiring a box to do this, you've guaranteed yourself another source of revenue.

No thanks.

-Kevin

Pos7al

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2009
I think the box they are talking about would be an upgraded version of your existing HD box. This, going off of the fact that I have a motorola box at home as my set top.

They'll add the functionality, charge an extra $2 to rent it a month and call it a day.

Bravo Comcast......by requiring a box to do this, you've guaranteed yourself another source of revenue.

No thanks.

-Kevin

redkamel

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2006
Oh, so its like a slingbox,only worse. I wonder if anyone will even bother hacking it...kudos to Comcast for thinking ahead though. It will probably fail and they won't understand why.

why is it stupid? i have 1 TV, and share it with wife and lil kids.

or, how about the college kids who don't have a tv and share an apartment.

it doesnt say you have to replace anything.

Wells, its aimed at people who already have cable and TV. If you dont have a TV, why would you buy this?

If you can afford cable, you can probably afford a TV. You can get a small LCD for a couple hundred dollars. A 60inch tv is now $600..still a hefty sum, but a few years ago a TV that size was a luxury for the very wealthy. You can get an old, giant,CRT or projection for cheap since people don't even want to move them.

And any college kid knows you are better off getting a 600 dollar 60 inchTV (~6 months of cable cost) and then hooking up your computer to it and watching hulu, youtube, netflix, torrented movies for a fraction of the cost. The only thing youd be missing is live sports.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.