Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harrisondavies

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
This article is pretty useless, it doesn't tell you how to avoid this particular malware. I can't suddenly stop downloading PDF's for fear that some nutjob 10 year old with some skillz in programming or some bunch of data thieving criminals have infected the PDF I want.

If you are going to warn us, be specific.

Thanks for the heads up though.

Beaubarre

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2011
I've always wondered: if I'm using a public Wifi, like a Macbook in an airport, if the DNS is hijacked can it just direct the flash updater program to a false adobe update site and infect automatically your computer with a trojan ?

It seems a very easy way to infect Macs, hope flash updater has some sort of security to prevent this.

locust76

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2009
I'm confused, when did Malware become classified as a Virus?

Viruses, Malware, Trojans... it's all the same *****. In fact, Viruses are Malware, since Malware is Malicious Software. Either way, you're looking at data loss and/or theft.

Stick that in your pedantic pipe and smoke it

Last edited by a moderator:

Demigod Mac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
This article is pretty useless, it doesn't tell you how to avoid this particular malware.

Users requiring Adobe's Flash Player software are of course advised to download it directly from Adobe's site rather than attempting to install it from sites which may be trying to trick users into installing malware.

Trojans and Viruses are different in the method they infect a computer.
Once they're on, they do similar things, but knowing the difference of how they infect your computer is important.

A Virus is potentially scarier than a Trojan because it can attach itself to legitimate files and self-replicate - without the user being aware that anything is amiss until it's too late. The flipside to this is, modern operating systems (including OS X) are far more resistant to viruses and won't allow code to execute itself automatically without going through several security checks. So viruses aren't nearly as common as they used to be.

A Trojan needs to trick the user into installing it before it can do any damage. That's the price we pay for being able to run any program we want on our Macs without needing Apple to approve them first - someone can make a bad program and fool us into thinking it's good. Once you give the program permission to run, OS X will get out of its way. If it turns out it's a malicious program, it's your fault for allowing it to run, not OS X's.

locust76

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2009
I've always wondered: if I'm using a public Wifi, like a Macbook in an airport, if the DNS is hijacked can it just direct the flash updater program to a false adobe update site and infect automatically your computer with a trojan ?

Theoretically, yes, though I imagine Adobe has some kind of encryption code or key that lets existing installations know that a certain update is legitimate. Otherwise it would be too easy to just set up a few servers somewhere, poison the DNS tables worldwide and infect every computer looking for flash updates within a day or two.

It seems a very easy way to infect Macs, hope flash updater has some sort of security to prevent this.

It's easy to infect computers period, because the users are careless and don't understand what it is they're doing.

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
Viruses, Malware, Trojans... it's all the same *****. In fact, Viruses are Malware, since Malware is Malicious Software. Either way, you're looking at data loss and/or theft.

Actually it is not "all the same", but I'll defer to your eRage.

Last edited by a moderator:

Demigod Mac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
Let's say I write a program that erases your entire hard drive in one click, and I label it "Hard Drive Eraser" and upload it to Download.com. Legitimate, not malicious, not a security threat because I clearly state what it does, correct?

Now let's say I take the exact same program, but label it, "Adobe Flash Updater" and email it to grandma and tell her she needs to install it to watch a video on the web. She trusts me, runs it and her computer gets wiped. Is it OS X's fault that this happened? Does it mean OS X has weak security?

Nope. But things could be improved this way:

Apple creates a walled garden environment with the Mac App Store where only Apple-approved programs go up (similar to iOS)

By default, OS X would not allow installation of non-App Store programs. But there would be an option in the system prefs that disables this and allows any code to be run. It'll be fairly easy for computer savvy users to find, but for newbies it will require some effort. So when they next visit an infected page that tries to get them to install a fake update, the program will not run at all.

AnthonyChavez03

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2010
how do we know if we may have this?? Had the flash thing pop up a few days ago... hoping it was a legit flash update

I've also installed an update a few days ago that was not directly from the Adobe Website...It popped up during some video I wanted to watch. How do we know if we have been fooled? :confused:

dOoBiX

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2011
I'm wondering if I came across that second one yesterday. I pulled up a video and got a pop-up that looked very authentic asking me to update my Flash Player. I closed it without clicking anywhere within it, and nothing downloaded, but I may have dodged a bullet by not installing it. I consider myself a very educated Mac user, but even I might have been convinced if that was it, had I not been in a hurry and not willing to wait for it to install.

I installed a flash update yesterday, and after reading this article, it got me worried. So I checked the CNET article and they have screenshots of the fake and real flash installers. My mac is good... for now. :)

Fake:
9dYPZ.png

Real:
lcC1n.png

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Update for PowerPC Macs? I think not...according to the Apple support site, as of September 13th, they have dropped support entirely for all PPC Macs, including the G5.

greenbulb

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2011
Its good to see that apple actually update their os to stop this trojan threat. If only windows was as reliable...

KingCrimson

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2011
Haha! I thought Macs were impervious to viruses & trojans! Haha!!!! I'm laughing at *LTD* and the "superior intellect".

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Shut up you fool.

Mmmm, ALL viruses are malware, not all malware are viruses

sulliweb

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
A Trojan needs to trick the user into installing it before it can do any damage. That's the price we pay for being able to run any program we want on our Macs without needing Apple to approve them first - someone can make a bad program and fool us into thinking it's good. Once you give the program permission to run, OS X will get out of its way. If it turns out it's a malicious program, it's your fault for allowing it to run, not OS X's.

Yes and no... We've seen a couple of minor exploits in iOS (ie - Jailbreakme.com) where a site gained root level access without Apple's permission in an arena supposedly completely controlled by Apple. There is no such thing as a perfectly secure OS. Apple does a better job than Windows in some respects, but Win 7 is remarkably better in that regard. Also, MS now provides free AV protection as well, cleaning up their own mess, so to speak...

I know I'll get blasted for saying it, but Windows and Macs are mostly being targeted the same way now (Windows more so, but there are still more Windows boxes out there). It's all about tricking the user, not breaking the system. Both OS's are reasonably rock solid when it comes to system attacks... Windows patches more often, but really, they haven't had anything in the way of major attacks in a great while... Conficker happened when? And it was kind of a dud in a lot of ways... Pretty much, now the user has to allow stuff to happen outside of their profile.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
This is not a virus. It's a Trojan horse. They are two very different kinds of malware.

That's called comic license ... I thought it was was funnier with virus/bugs :D

I'm going to have to start posting a link to my CV so people won't be compelled need to come in and 'splain things to me :) Though the quoted post was probably helpful for the "civilians".

Speedy2

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2008
Now let's say I take the exact same program, but label it, "Adobe Flash Updater" and email it to grandma and tell her she needs to install it to watch a video on the web. She trusts me, runs it and her computer gets wiped. Is it OS X's fault that this happened? Does it mean OS X has weak security?

Bad example.
Yes, because no program should be allowed to wipe the computer without VERY CLEAR and scary warnings that will Grandma make click "no" or call you and tell her what to do.

Windows actually put similar measures in place with its initially-but-now-not-so-much-widely hated UAC. The scariest thing Mac OS comes up with in this case is a password prompt.

But I guess, your point was a different one. There is no absolutely security, and if a user runs a program, he or she is pretty much on their own.

TheSideshow

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2011
Yes and no... We've seen a couple of minor exploits in iOS (ie - Jailbreakme.com) where a site gained root level access without Apple's permission in an arena supposedly completely controlled by Apple. There is no such thing as a perfectly secure OS. Apple does a better job than Windows in some respects, but Win 7 is remarkably better in that regard. Also, MS now provides free AV protection as well, cleaning up their own mess, so to speak...

I know I'll get blasted for saying it, but Windows and Macs are mostly being targeted the same way now (Windows more so, but there are still more Windows boxes out there). It's all about tricking the user, not breaking the system. Both OS's are reasonably rock solid when it comes to system attacks... Windows patches more often, but really, they haven't had anything in the way of major attacks in a great while... Conficker happened when? And it was kind of a dud in a lot of ways... Pretty much, now the user has to allow stuff to happen outside of their profile.

Thank you! I wish people would realize this. "virus infested Windows" is not really true at all anymore.

"Trojan attacked Windows" may be, but thats the case for any OS.

B.LI

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2011
Damnn.. hope not that not many macs got infected

Just wondering, so the improvements to prevent these threats will be automatically be updated to our mac systems?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.