Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
Explain to me why you would need a Facebook app for the iPad when you can just go to the website? What functionality would an app offer that the website wouldn't at a 1074x768 resolution?

Uploading of photos.

Takeo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2004
Canada
Explain to me why you would need a Facebook app for the iPad when you can just go to the website? What functionality would an app offer that the website wouldn't at a 1074x768 resolution?

Because the Facebook website blows on the iPad. There are a lot of key features that simply do no work on the iPad. I agree that we don't need an app IF the website were iPad-friendly... but it's not.

Last edited:

puffnstuff

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2008
What's to consider? Just have to wait until more people sign up for it to be as useful.

I downloaded the G+ app when I found out it had the "nearby" feature. It's awesome sadly it's the same 20 ppl posting each time. More people need to start using it it's fun.

urbanj

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2008
People just need to stand up and leave. I had a google+ account from the start. Unfortunately even at this time not many of my friends do. Last week I bit the bullet and downloaded all my info from facebook and deactivated the account.

Eventually I know my friends will follow :)

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011

Push notifications, chat, image upload, gesture support, optimized for touch use. To name a few.

jtrauscht

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2010
Nashville, TN
Vocal, disgruntled employees often lack credibility

Just because potentially "difficult people" now have the ability to vomit their feelings on the internet, doesn't mean there's evil afoot. I wouldn't read too much into this. Sometimes they're just whiners who haven't gotten their way.

PatrickHenryPDX

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2008
I'll believe it when I see it

I'm sure they're keeping this one under wraps because it's just too good. Verkoeyen sounds like that engineer that quit General Motors, saying they'd developed a car that ran on water instead of gas but would never let it see the light of day...

rickdollar

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2007
Bummer.
The FB site in Safari on the iPad has far too many missing functions and annoying quirks to list. It's O.K. for reading your feed. That's it.

Takeo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2004
Canada
Here's a short list of things that don't work on the iPad. A complete list would be a lot longer as I come across little things all the time that don't work on iPad. Also, overall the interface just isn't touch-friendly. Everything is really tiny.

• Removing posts
  • Editing posts
  • Embedding link previews in status updates
  • Chat
  • Photo uploads
  • Viewing video

They either need to make their site iPad-friendly or release an app.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Just because potentially "difficult people" now have the ability to vomit their feelings on the internet, doesn't mean there's evil afoot. I wouldn't read too much into this. Sometimes they're just whiners who haven't gotten their way.
There are usually two sides to these employee stories.

I'm not sure I'd want to hire someone who gripes about their former employer on their blog. It seems less than professional. But maybe that's common now that everyone tells everyone their opinion about everything. Perhaps it's to be expected.

qtaran111

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
Good luck to him. He obviously put a lot of work into the app and it looks great on the iPad. It's a shame it'll never be released. I hope he does great things at Google, hopefully a Google+ iPad app.

What's weird is that Facebook made all this noise at f8 about Timeline and Verbs and all that and essentially nothing new about Facebook on mobile platforms.

makingdots

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2008

- Uploading photos
- Uploading videos
- Chat
- Notifications

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yeah, well, good luck with the Goog.

Cancelled
Jul 23, 2008
What's to consider? Just have to wait until more people sign up for it to be as useful.

If everyone had that attitude and 'waited' it would never take off. If you're thinking about it just go for it, what's stopping you?

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I haven't spent many cycles experimenting, but browsing with Mercury [browser] with the user agent set to 'Chrome', the chat is available and does work, just a little clunky and the layout is funky.

I've also (briefly) checked out the touch.facebook.com vs. the regular front end (at http://www.) and it's a little more touch friendly, but still missing major features.

Bottom line, after seeing the dedicated iPad app (I was able to run the hack and activate it in the iPhone version, but got locked out pretty quickly), that's exactly what I want.

I've tried a few of the 3rd party apps, they seem pretty mediocre (unlike the Twitter market where I prefer 3rd party, Twitterific).

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Wow it really sounds like FB is self destructing

Google is so ready to for Facebook to mess up. They have created the alternative to Facebook, they just need to FB to keep making people angry and get more and more people to create Google+ accounts. Mind you, neither company gives a darn about your privacy, but it seems to me that Facebook's recent announcements may be playing directly into Google's hands.

Facebooks downward slide has been steadily picking up steam.

From privacy, content rights wrangling, & even a usability standpoint, their site continually sucks more and more as time goes on.

I guess that is the nature of things. With enough time, everything goes to **** eventually.

Yup. Google+ will head the same direction. Its a big a reason I am keeping my social life off the internet. You know, like back in the day when burying your head in a screen and your fingers in a keyboard was considered "anti-social"? I love those new Toyota commercials with the girl who is concerned about her parents not being social enough -- my point of view exactly. I have no need for Facebook or Twitter or Google+ -- at least not until I have some serious privacy guarantees backed by federal law.

Facebook is evil. They want to suck your personal info dry. Most likely to sell it to Goldman Sachs. Beware.

I don't think Google wants your real name and personal info for the sake of making the world a better place. People trade their personal information way too easily and are a bit too willing to share it openly. Sure I use Google services (like Google checkout), but at least I know Google is not going to post a public-viewable timeline of every purchase I have made with that service. Gmail, calendar, chat and checkout are about as far as I go with Google. I recognize they are targeting ads at me -- I am okay with giving up that much of my privacy, but I do not need my information shared online with the world. I don't need to be "online friends" with every person I ever knew -- especially those high school "friends" who I have not spoken to in almost two decades.

I especially dislike the online social etiquette that goes with turning down a friend request -- people get hurt and upset when you refuse to "friend" them. My brother sent an invite request for me to join Facebook. Somehow the mere act of doing that allowed all of his friends to see me on Facebook and they all did the same. I had ex-girlfriends and former acquaintances and former coworkers whom I had not spoken to in years asking to be my friend on Facebook and then emailing me and wondering why I had not accepted their request. My response was simply "sorry, I don't do Facebook". Looking back, I am grateful for this experience because it seriously turned me off to Facebook and all the clones that are out there (even back when they had better privacy policies).

cburton

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2008
Facebook is turning into myspace.

I'm seriously considering switching to google plus.

I've already done it! I invited everyone on my friends list to join me but people are resistant to change. Maybe when this new "improved" profile business gets deployed but who knows.

Chris

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.