Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

galenmd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
Title says it all. I have both an iP4 (AT&T) and an iPad2 (AT&T), both on the latest firmwares.

Starting about 10 days ago, neither device could send emails from my AOL account. I can receive emails just fine. I get the following message:
"A copy has been placed in your Outbox. Sending the message content to the server failed."

I have an exchange account that works fine.

I already tried deleting the account and re-programming it. Same problem.

Oh, and please, nobody make fun of me for still using AOL. I've had the account for years and don't have the energy to change.

Can anyone help?

Last edited:

galenmd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
Just tried it. Same error. Darn!

Why both devices. Gotta be something with AT&T or AOL.

galenmd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
Well, I tried IMAP, POP, deleting and adding the account several times, rebooting, etc., all to no avail. I still get this stupid error message.

Anybody else have a suggestion (besides leaving AOL)?

lifeguard

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2010
Well, I tried IMAP, POP, deleting and adding the account several times, rebooting, etc., all to no avail. I still get this stupid error message.

ok since its not working on your iphone and ipad what about setting up another new aol account as a test. if it works then its not the devices but an account setting.... just an idea

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Oh, and please, nobody make fun of me for still using AOL. I've had the account for years and don't have the energy to change.

I don't want to derail your thread or go against your wishes, but I did want to mention that Gmail has a handy feature these days where it will import all of your mail from another address and automatically retrieve incoming mail for some period of time while you notify everyone of your new address. My wife went this route when she grew tired of Hotmail and it worked perfectly. If you can't get AOL to work for whatever reason, this is probably the path of least resistance to change.

With all of that said, I agree with the poster above that recommended creating a new account and testing to see if it is a settings issue.

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011

ok since its not working on your iphone and ipad what about setting up another new aol account as a test. if it works then its not the devices but an account setting.... just an idea

Before making a dummy account to test, have you tried sending an email from a different device?

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
Why the heck are you using AOL mail? Nobody but a housewife would take you seriously with that.

Having "no energy" is no excuse. Get yourself a real email provider like Gmail, Zoho, Lavabit, etc.

Last edited:

galenmd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
Before making a dummy account to test, have you tried sending an email from a different device?

This is an interesting suggestion. I only have the iPad and iPhone. Otherwise, I only have desktops/laptops, from which I have no issues sending email from these.

I tend to agree with lifeguard, that it may be an individual account setting, but I have no idea what setting that could be, and AOL customer support won't help me. Why both my iPad and iPhone at the same time, and why don't other people have this problem? There has to be a simple answer for this. I searched AOL's website/account settings to no avail.

----------

Yes, I get that AOL is so 20th century, but that's how long I have been using it for. It is so imbedded into my social and business network, that it is not so simple to change. In fact, I WANT to change to gmail, and have a username there, but I cannot right now. Maybe in a few months.

Polekat

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
Apple no longer supports AOL you will have to upgrade your email client

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
[/COLOR]Yes, I get that AOL is so 20th century, but that's how long I have been using it for. It is so imbedded into my social and business network, that it is not so simple to change. In fact, I WANT to change to gmail, and have a username there, but I cannot right now. Maybe in a few months.
Explain how it's "imbedded" into your social and business network.

BENI

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2009
Apple no longer supports AOL you will have to upgrade your email client

apple no longer supports aol????? you guys don't half BS! :rolleyes:
it's an option in the system preferences for goodness sake. (i'm using the the latest version of lion) :apple:
don't tell me - however fickle apple may be - that they would include AOL in the operating system as a server option if it is officially unsupported.:p

also i've seen plenty of similar threads (with no helpful answers) complaining of the same problem with gmail...

coffey2go

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2011
ISO5 e-mail problem

I have the same issue as others who are complaining about the Aol e-mail problem since upgrading to IOS 5, I have to keep this account because to many of the people I do genealogy with for over 17 years have this e-mail address and I like keeping them separate, plus I have a ton of saved e-mails in folders on my AOL account. My gmail and verizon accounts work fine,but on my aol account all of mye-mail I send gets stuck in an outbox.
I have contacted Aol, At&t and Apple and the problem has not been resolved and help would be appreicated.

Thanks in advance
Shirley

galenmd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
I have finally solved my problem. This was clearly something to do with the idiots over at AOL.

As part of a routine security measure, I changed my password. I did this using the settings feature on aol.com. That's when the problem began. After spending hours an hours trying to get aol to figure this out, I was able to solve the problem by installing an old version of AOL (9.0 or earlier) on my PC (NOT using aol.com) and changing the password there. Once I did that, my iphone was able to send email again.

Once I get the spare time and energy, I will get the h*ll away from aol and never look back. Can you believe that at one time they ruled the internet???

Reactions: TwinCitiesJHawk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.