Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Sep 27, 2011, 08:52 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Rushing Retail Store Renovations Ahead of iPhone 5 Launch

While Apple has received considerable publicity for its push to open dozens of new retail stores over the last three months, the company has also been renovating a number of its stores to bring them up to the latest designs. Most of these straightforward renovations result in the stores being closed for about a week, during which time they are boarded up with Apple's standard black construction barriers and posted with notices directing customers to either the closest alternative store location or to Apple's website for information on locations.

Among the locations currently under renovation in the lead-up to the iPhone launch:

Chestnut Street retail store in San Francisco
- Chestnut Street (San Francisco, California): Closed September 26th through October 4th. 9to5Mac posted a photo yesterday showing the closed location with an AT&T worker and his van directly in front of the store.

New layout of University Village retail store in Seattle
- University Village (Seattle, Washington): Closed September 26th through October 6th. GeekWire posted the details on the renovation, which include new display counters, Genius Bar, and other fixtures. Planning documents show Apple moving from a layout three product display tables wide to one using four narrower tables across the width of the store. The report also notes that Microsoft will be opening its own retail store directly across a small parking lot from Apple's store on October 20th, giving Apple additional incentive to spruce up the location.

Walnut Creek retail store (Thanks, John)
- Walnut Creek (Walnut Creek, California): Closed September 26th through October 3rd. The location opened in 2003, but was remodeled back in August 2009.

At least two other stores, Biltmore in Phoenix, Arizona and Sagemore in Marlton, New Jersey, were closed for renovations last week and have since reopened for business.

Article Link: Apple Rushing Retail Store Renovations Ahead of iPhone 5 Launch
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 08:54 AM   #2
tigres
macrumors 68040

Hey,
Don't forget Somerset
Old Sep 27, 2011, 08:57 AM   #3
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Nice... nice...

looks like Apple is preparing for a new product launch, right?

Have the stores open by October 7th to accept pre-orders, and begin shipping on the 14th?
ArtOfWarfare is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 08:57 AM   #4
coder12
macrumors 6502

Such a great new phone needs new stores and new layouts
Old Sep 27, 2011, 08:58 AM   #5
drumpat01
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to drumpat01
UPV in Fort Worth, TX

University Park Village in Fort Worth, TX was closed last week as well for about 4 days.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 09:00 AM   #6
jmpnop
macrumors 6502a

This shows Apple pays attention to every detail, the key behind Apple's success
Old Sep 27, 2011, 09:00 AM   #7
bDoc
macrumors newbie

So are they making the stores thinner too?
bDoc is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 09:00 AM   #8
Widashy
macrumors regular

If these stores are getting renovated, iPhone 5 must be huge. Can't wait
Old Sep 27, 2011, 09:00 AM   #9
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Just a hunch, but these renovations are probably in lead up to the holiday season not the iPhone 5. And I doubt they are "rushed" as the totality of the planning, approval, and implementation process takes months.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 09:01 AM   #10
starvingartist8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by coder12 View Post
Such a great new phone needs new stores and new layouts
Yeh I can't wait to see the new iPhone and watch it blow competition out of the water and protect its ideas to bits so no sheeping from samsung. All this new flashy retail stores all over the world I bet it just rubs lemon in the eyes of those haters out there. I bet some of them try to graffiti on it and get caught. Such a waste of life being an Apple hater. Unhealthy to be negative lol
starvingartist8 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 09:02 AM   #11
DrMotownMac
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigres View Post
Hey,
Don't forget Somerset
Yeah, I'm from the Detroit area too (obviously, by my user name), but I don't think the Somerset store is going to be open by early October. An employee at the temporary store on the second floor said the new store should be done by THANKSGIVING!

However, it should be a VERY nice store, in light of how it will double in size!
DrMotownMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 09:02 AM   #12
starvingartist8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa Chupa View Post
Just a hunch, but these renovations are probably in lead up to the holiday season not the iPhone 5. And I doubt they are "rushed" as the totality of the planning, approval, and implementation process takes months.
I think it has been planned for a year at least to line up nicely for product launch and holiday
starvingartist8 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 09:03 AM   #13
ajones46
macrumors 6502

Why would the one store open back up on October 5th and the other on the 4th.. wouldn't they all be the same date?
Old Sep 27, 2011, 09:03 AM   #14
applefan289
macrumors 68000

Are we sure this is specifically for the iPhone? Or is this just their routine renovation? They said in the article that a few other stores already finished renovating...but that wasn't for the iPhone.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 09:03 AM   #15
Mr. Gates
macrumors 68020

Renovated ?

What, like some doilies on the Tables ?

Hang a few posters?

New light bulbs?

There ain't much to the Apple stores to begin with
Old Sep 27, 2011, 09:04 AM   #16
starvingartist8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajones46 View Post
Why would the one store open back up on October 5th and the other on the 3rd.. wouldn't they all be the same date?
well that is up to the workers renovating them :P
starvingartist8 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 09:05 AM   #17
Muad'Dib
macrumors 6502

Can we now stop the stupid speculation about Oct 5th?? That was just dumb.

Anybody know when the Knox Street store in Dallas is supposed to re-open in it's usual location?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajones46 View Post
Why would the one store open back up on October 5th and the other on the 4th.. wouldn't they all be the same date?
Why would they all be on the same date? They are all finishing AHEAD of some unknown date (and it's NOT Oct. 5th).
Muad'Dib is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 09:05 AM   #18
starvingartist8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gates View Post
Renovated ?

What, like some doilies on the Tables ?

Hang a few posters?

New light bulbs?

There ain't much to the Apple stores to begin with
Apple does their store layouts very strategically just as they do with their products. The products go over new designs so does the stores. That is why lots of companies even copy the Apple store layouts. Because they are so good.
starvingartist8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 09:05 AM   #19
drober30
macrumors 6502a

I sent in a picture of the store in our mall a couple of months ago which had the black construction barriers but I guess it was not news worthy at the time.

Apple opened a temporary store upstairs in the mall while the main store underwent renovation.

This is a very upscale mall that does a ton of Apple business. They receive massive quantities of products on launch days.
drober30 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 09:07 AM   #20
ajones46
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muad'Dib View Post
Can we now stop the stupid speculation about Oct 5th?? That was just dumb.

Anybody know when the Knox Street store in Dallas is supposed to re-open in it's usual location?

----------

Why would they all be on the same date? They are all finishing AHEAD of some unknown date (and it's NOT Oct. 5th).
ahhhhh.. you're so smart
Old Sep 27, 2011, 09:10 AM   #21
syan48306
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigres View Post
Hey,
Don't forget Somerset
Funny, a hand full of people actually know which store you're talking about.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 09:11 AM   #22
QuiteSure
macrumors 6502

Enough!

Whatever it is, I just want it.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 09:15 AM   #23
DeaconGTG
macrumors member

If we're just listing stores that are being rennovated, you missed Knox Street in Highland Park (Dallas, TX).

It's the shop that's always notorious for having one of the first people lined up for big releases. I call West Coast bias on the editors.

Though to be honest, I don't think there's a chance that it's open by next week. It's been closed for months (before the iPad 2 launch), and I was in the temporary store down the street yesterday for a genius bar appointment and saw no signs that the new store was about to open.
DeaconGTG is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 09:16 AM   #24
Muad'Dib
macrumors 6502

Yeah, still wondering when that store is going to open back up. What could they possibly be doing that is taking so long???
Muad'Dib is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 09:16 AM   #25
WLS
macrumors 6502a

If there is to be an event next week on the 6th or 5th or 4th then they pretty much have to send out invites today or tomorrow.
I am sooo sick of waiting.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion