Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

oregontrail-150x150.jpg

The Oregon Trail is a classic educational travel game following a family heading west from Independence, Missouri to Oregon, during the gold rush in 1848.

The official iPhone port of Oregon Trail is being offered free for a limited time by developer Gameloft as a promotion for the release of its sequel, The Oregon Trail: American Settler.
Assume the role of a wagon leader in a side-view journey where your strategic decisions must ensure the safety of your party along the treacherous Oregon Trail. Overcome the perilous journey to Oregon in America's Wild West. Just like the real pioneers, experience the decision-making, problem-solving, and role-playing fun of this historical event. A unique strategy/educational game relating the first pioneers' journey to Western American.
The Oregon Trail is normally $0.99 from the App Store, currently free for "a few days." [iTunes]

Article Link: Gameloft Giving Away The Oregon Trail for iPhone

SidewaysTakumi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
Texas
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Loved this game as a kid...played this on Mac's back in elementary. Beast Mode!

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
I already have this... Never played the original, but I found this version to be over the top... A little too comical, I guess.

ModestForumName

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

WTH happened to my hunting?!?!? This isn't what I remembered as a kid =(

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Apparently they've changed the game to include a currency you have to purchase through in-app purchases in order to play. Although the game used to have almost 5 stars, most of the new ratings are much lower. Too bad.

Morrius

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2007
This isn't the Oregon Trail you grew up with on the Apple IIe. More like a collection of minigames.

gageray

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2006
Takes too long to complete

Game play on this is crazy, I can't finish the game in under an hour. That is a long time to be playing a game on the iPhone, also I can't ever get to Oregon before December for some reason even at the fastest pace.

SirChadwick

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2011
As a kid of the 80's, I remember playing Oregon Trail on my Commodore 64. Holy smoke I'm getting old.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
I bought this game when it was first released and played through it very easily. It's not a short game, but it was much easier than the original. No challenge, no fun.

Also as ModestForumName noted, there's no hunting. There were also no in-app purchases when I played either.

EDIT: Apparently the game has changed quite a bit since I first installed it...

Last edited:

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
Awesome, I loved this game as a kid.

Grueling pace,
no rations,
continue on!

We'd always see who could last the longest :)

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I bought this game when it was first released and played through it very easily. It's not a short game, but it was much easier than the original. No challenge, no fun.

Also as ModestForumName noted, there's no hunting. There were also no in-app purchases when I played either.

EDIT: Apparently the game has changed quite a bit since I first installed it...

Interesting.. the version I have has hunting.. and I bought it last year, plus installed the updated version.. then again, I updated while in the middle of the game, so I'll have to check again. It keeps crashing on my iPhone 3G, but that may be because of being in the middle of it.

SirChadick said:
As a kid of the 80's, I remember playing Oregon Trail on my Commodore 64. Holy smoke I'm getting old.

Know how you feel. I played this on my Apple IIe when I was 9. Great times. I may pull it back out and see how it runs compared to this!

BL.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Oregon Trail is a cool game. I think it was one of those games that originally came on umpteen floppy disks, like King's Quest.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Interesting.. the version I have has hunting.. and I bought it last year, plus installed the updated version.. then again, I updated while in the middle of the game, so I'll have to check again. It keeps crashing on my iPhone 3G, but that may be because of being in the middle of it.

The old school computer version allows hunting anytime to get food (instead of buying food).

Current iOS version doesn't have [anytime] hunting, probably to force some people to pay the freemium fee. (Especially with all those things you have to do that requires items you can't gather).

Other problems:
- Incessant loading screens, even on iPad 2
- Custom scrolling behavior doesn't not match that of iOS standard behavior

not nearly as fun as the original. it has stupid micro transactions for items which kills the mood of the game.

Freemium tax.

Last edited:

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
The old school computer version allows hunting anytime to get food (instead of buying food).

Current iOS version doesn't have hunting, probably to force some people to pay the freemium fee. (Especially with all those things you have to do that requires items you can't gather).

Other problems:
- Incessant loading screens, even on iPad 2
- Custom scrolling behavior doesn't not match that of iOS standard behavior

Freemium tax.

Good to know.. I haven't deleted the previous version, so I may drop back down to that version and be happy.

BL.

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2008
DLed it as soon as I saw this post. I want the green and black version without the option to buy fake money with real money! Still fun.

Tiggs

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
They ruined the game by almost forcing you to purchase currency to play it. So sad, had some promise too. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.