Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Just as Apple is apparently planning to bring the iTunes Music Store to ten more European countries, the company also seems to be rolling out access to iTunes movie sales and rentals in a number of European countries where it already offers music content.

danish_itunes_movie.jpg

Movie from Danish iTunes Store
Reports of the new movie offerings began coming in from MacRumors readers late yesterday, with Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Netherlands, and Sweden so far having been cited as adding the new movie content. Apple has not yet added a dedicated movie section to the iTunes Store in these new markets, but content is accessible through the store's search function.

finnish_itunes_movies.jpg

Movie from Finnish iTunes Store
The content expansions appear to be extending even beyond music and movies, with macprime.ch reporting [Google translation] that paid iBookstore content has just begun showing up in the Swiss store. The Swiss iBookstore had previously been limited to free content, primarily from Project Gutenberg.

Article Link: Apple Rolling Out iTunes Movie Content in New European Countries

Polarlynx

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2011
Apple TV 2 in Norway at last ?...

At last ! - Just searched for 127 hours on the Norwegian store as a test and its there 39 kr to rent.

Hopefully the New apple TV will be released here now ?...

prodox

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2011
Good news

I am from Denmark, and bought my AppleTV from the UK.

I actually noticed a slight difference in the Apple TV menu system a few days ago. There's 4 menu's (Movies, Internet, Computers and Options).
When I use my Danish iTunes account I normally just see "In Theaters" under the Movies tab, but a few days ago it was changed to include "Rentals" as well (I didn't update the software or anything). The only movie available though was the Beatles movie.

I know this is directly connected to the iTunes account location/country - as I also have an American iTunes account, and when signed in on my AppleTV with this, - the menu system is changed to include rentals and tv-shows etc.

Hopefully we will se a lot more Movie/TV Shows in Scandinavia soon :)

Chazn

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2011
5 pounds to rent a movie?
Now this is why people pirate and download them for free elsewhere.

Last edited:

interestedabit

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2006
5 euros to rent a movie. Funny how the price of rentals have gone up, food has gone up, taxes up yet our salaries stay the same. Paying 5 euros to RENT a film is not appealing to most. What they should do is make it appealing, price-wise. It's not even economically possible for most. It's not sensible to spend this amount of money on a mere rental when it's the same price as a meal or two. They don't seem to understand that. Maybe it works in the US but this will not work in Europe as living prices are high across the board.

Nisso

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2011
Confirmed in Norway also, both in iTunes store, and on the AppleTv :D Allthough the US store is still way bigger, and much cheaper, so ill keep my US account for a while..

Lindberg

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
Denmark, Aarhus
Why does Apple expect Scandinavian customers want to pay more than Americans for the same product?

If they don't standardisere prizes for movies and music we'll find other ways to get our hands on the stuff we want!

MrFusion

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2005
West-Europe
Yep. I don't think paying half the price of a movie to rent it 24 hours is normal. I'd rather buy it and share it with friends or sell it after.

I agree. I rather own the movie. Then the price is 9.99 to 14.99. Similar prices to the dvd. But on the other hand, it saves some shelf space and it's (nearly) instant gratification.

The selection they have is also rather small (only 235 movies) and old. I already saw a lot of them and I would have seen the others by now if I had wanted to. But it's a start, I guess.

SimonTheSoundMa

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2006
Birmingham, UK
Why bother when you can get monthly subscriptions with unlimited streamed movies and one disc hire at a time from companies like Love Film, all for the same price as one 24 hour rental from Apple?

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
This is the best news I have heard in a long time!
I am one happy Dane right now. Now, let's get a wider selection and some High Definition. :)

Thank you, Apple.

Why bother when you can get monthly subscriptions with unlimited streamed movies and one disc hire at a time from companies like Love Film, all for the same price as one 24 hour rental from Apple?
- Because the streaming selection from LoveFilm is laughable, because the video quality of their streaming service is abysmal, because discs per mail order is not nearly as convenient as streaming, and because you can't get it for the same price as one 24 hour rental from Apple (at least not in Denmark). You can get it for the same price as three iTunes Movie rentals, though.

With this said, I agree that LoveFilm is a pretty good service, but the waiting and slowness just annoys me. In my experience, the capacity was 2 films per week, and that was because they were sent together.
What I experienced was: LoveFilm mails the films on Tuesday (for some reason they refused mailing them on Monday), I receive them on Wednesday, I watch them on Wednesday, I return them on Thursday, LoveFilm receives them on Friday, and sends new ones Tuesday the next week (because their offices are closed during the weekend).
It's just too slow.

Is it any different in the UK?

Last edited:

DESNOS

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2011
This is just too tempting, so I must say it: I am Finnished with my Danish. Thank you.

aphylotus

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2011
Confirm Luxembourg Store too

Hello,

tested the Luxembourg Store, and using the search function, I can confirm seeing the movies too, rental and buy.

Rental : 2.99 euro
Buy : 9.99 Euro

Update : iBookStore also available in Luxembourg

Cheers from Luxembourg,

Tom

SicMX

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2009
What other movies are available except for the two mentioned in the article?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.