Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Really a bummer that Apple wouldn't put a third party USB 3 controller in this, it would have been just perfect.

Especially since they put third-party USB 2.0 controllers inside!

lol @ 1 inch subwoofer

That's not a subwoofer, that's a subyipper!

"...a small 1-inch subwoofer..."

Had to laugh as well.... My $1600 home theatre speaker set has 1" tweeters! (and dual driver 10" subwoofers with their own 300 watt amp...)

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Apple should really add MagSafe power connection to the Mini.
I highly doubt they will. What happens when accidentally pull lightly on a MagSafe cable powering a laptop? Nothing. What happens when you do the same with a MagSafe cable powering a Mac mini? The mini crashes potentially damaging data (and certainly loosing unsaved data).

----------

Yep. I don't understand why USB 3 isn't included.
As if Apple would introduce USB3 to its computers via a display. The display will not get USB3 before the computers themselves get it, everything else would just look stupid.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Good to learn my current 27" isn't totally useless for a daisy chained setup, as long as I pop a TB HD between them!

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2008
I can't wait until all this technology is integrated. I've got my iMac (love it), Sony TV, :apple:TV2, roku, remotes, iPhone, etc. I don't know if I'd jump on a first gen. Apple television set, but it will be nice when it comes together. Maybe we're getting closer.

hchung

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008
[/COLOR]
As if Apple would introduce USB3 to its computers via a display. The display will not get USB3 before the computers themselves get it, everything else would just look stupid.

Actually, it's because USB3 controllers operating off PCIe suck right now. Kinda like how SATA 6gbs controllers operating off PCIe suck right now too.

When there's a good third party chip, then Apple will use it.

(the technical reason is that current 3rd party chips for USB3 and SATA 6gbs over PCIe arn't using enough lanes, so the overhead cost in bridging to PCIe means that the USB3 ports will run at speeds that compare badly to USB3 connected to northbridges.)

Stiksi

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2007
I am sure Apple could figure something out.

I was simply stating that it would be sick if the monitor could power the mini thus eliminating another cable.

But it doesn't really eliminate a cable, does it? Either the cable goes from the monitor to the mini, or from the power strip to the mini.

Anyway, I seem to remember a day in the distant past when I owned a pc which had a monitor that drew its power from the computer. Of course, that's entirely different because the current flows the other way…

I don't get why this would be an improvement.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
(the technical reason is that current 3rd party chips for USB3 and SATA 6gbs over PCIe arn't using enough lanes, so the overhead cost in bridging to PCIe means that the USB3 ports will run at speeds that compare badly to USB3 connected to northbridges.)

Or to be more accurate, "add-in PCIe x1 cards for USB 3.0 and SATA 6 Gbps 'suck'"...

However, a USB 3.0 interface on a PCIe 1.0 x1 slot has full duplex 2.5 Gbps bandwidth, so it's certainly much better than USB 2.0. If it's a PCIe 2.0 x1 slot, it's 5 Gbps - so that doesn't suck at all.

Agreed, however, that a SATA 6 Gbps interface on less than a PCIe 1.0 x4 slot is a bit limited - although a PCIe 2.0 x1 slot will give SATA 6 Gbps all of 5 Gbps throughput, which does not have great suckitude. No spinning hard drives, and very few solid state hard drives, can sustain over 500 MBps.

RebelScum

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2007
Toronto
Awesomeface_Tbolt.jpg

accessoriesguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
wow, i'm glad they didn't skip on it since it has such a high price tag. I'll wait for it to have a 1080p facetime cam and USB3.0 ports :D

Macintosh2010

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2011
Thunderbolt is SILLY

Bought a new macbook pro,,,,,,no more firewire port..no more express card slot (13" model"...but hey i get a frikkin Thunderbolt "hole"...what can i plug into it....NOTHING but this overpriced monitor that is nothing but a chopped up 3 year old iMac.......thank for NOTHING.

LeoCastillo

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Bought a new macbook pro,,,,,,no more firewire port..no more express card slot (13" model"...but hey i get a frikkin Thunderbolt "hole"...what can i plug into it....NOTHING but this overpriced monitor that is nothing but a chopped up 3 year old iMac.......thank for NOTHING.

What are you talking about? My Macbook Pro still has a firewire port.

I think you're just here to troll. You didn't really buy a new MacBook Pro.

Leo

Last edited:

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
I am sure Apple could figure something out.

I was simply stating that it would be sick if the monitor could power the mini thus eliminating another cable.

The whole point of MagSafe is that is easily detachable (instead of dragging your laptop off the table when you trip over the cable). On a desktop it has to be non-easily detachable.
The only way to achieve this is create some kind of clamping mechanism at the Mac mini. Which would mean you likely would need some kind of release button. All do-able but all fiddly. You could also think about some kind of adaptor that fits on the MagSafe male end, grips it tightly and then is inserted into the Mac mini like the current adaptor is. Again another fiddly adaptor to loose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.