Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ever since Apple released its first Thunderbolt-equipped machines earlier this year, reports have been surfacing from a number of users complaining about flickering issues on company's 24-inch LED Apple Cinema Display when used with the new Thunderbolt-equipped machines.

24_inch_led_cinema_display.jpg

Apple has apparently quietly released a firmware fix for the issue, although the update has not been publicly announced and its existence appears to have only been revealed to a small number of customers who have escalated their issues through Apple's support systems.

A link (.dmg download) to the firmware update was posted to Apple's discussion forums earlier today, and a number of users who have applied the update have reported at least initial success with addressing the flickering issues. Users report having to reboot their systems and power cycle their displays in order for the displays to function properly after applying the update.

From the description included in the download file:
The 24-inch LED Cinema Display Firmware Update addresses an issue that may cause intermittent display flickering. This firmware will only install on the Apple 24-inch LED Cinema Display when it is connected to a Thunderbolt-enabled Mac.

IMPORTANT:
This firmware update may not resolve the flickering issue if a Mini DisplayPort extender cable is used.

NOTE:
Some USB and FireWire devices may prevent firmware updates from installing correctly; disconnect non-essential devices and use only an Apple keyboard and mouse to apply the update.
Full instructions for installing the firmware update are also included in the documentation.

It is unclear why Apple has yet to publicly issue the firmware update for all 24-inch Apple Cinema Display users, and thus users should exercise caution in deciding whether to apply the update and prefer to check with Apple support regarding their specific issues.

Apple introduced the 24-inch LED Cinema Display in October 2008 and officially discontinued the model in July 2010 when Apple consolidated its display offerings with the 27-inch LED Cinema Display as its sole offering. Apple did, however, continue to sell off its remaining stock of 24-inch displays for a number of weeks after the official discontinuation.

Article Link: Apple Quietly Releases Fix for Flickering on 24-Inch LED Cinema Display over Thunderbolt

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Apple only care about their new product. What about MacBook Pro late 2008 flickering issue on nvidia 9400M? It's been 3 years, and still no fix.

Do you have AppleCare? I took mine in for a loose hinge and they ended up replacing my whole screen assembly cause they noticed it was flickering. Not sure if it got to the root of the problem but the screen no longer flickers.

m.amari

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2011
It's about time

I had this problem for quite some time, i hope it will be a permanent fix.

Greg McBride

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2007
MBA Question

I have a new 13" MacBook Air and the power connector is on the opposite side of the Thunderbolt connector. Does the cable on the Thunderbolt display reach both sides of the MBA? In the pics, it doesn't look like it does. Just curious if anyone knows.

Ignore this post. Just found the answer. Apparently it does work. (I figured it would. Apple wouldn't overlook something like that.

Last edited:

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Apple only care about their new product. What about MacBook Pro late 2008 flickering issue on nvidia 9400M? It's been 3 years, and still no fix.

I have this exact same problem. And apparently so do many others out there too. Just do a search.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Maybe fix the flickering on the brand new thunderbolt display, too? I have one hooked up to a 27" iMac and the random flickering always catches me off guard while working. Really, $1000 for a monitor and it acts this way?

benborman

macrumors member
May 28, 2008
I thought this would never come.

Always a pleasant surprise when Apple releases an update for a long discontinued product. I have spent hours researching this issue over the past few years. Display always flickered on my MacPro w/ATI Graphics, but Never flickered on my Wife's 2010 MBP with NVidia graphics. Flickered horribly on my 2011 MBP (15", 2.3 i7). Applied the update just now, no flickering so far!

Very happy about this!

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Is it possible to have a design flaw that no firmware can totally solve?

For this specific issue of the 24" and Thunderbolt Macs, I doubt it. They worked perfectly fine with the previous generation Macs.

I had this problem with the 24". Fortunately Apple replaced the monitor with a 27" at no cost, but hopefully this update fixes the issue for those still using these displays.

flamejob

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2007
London
I still think it is unwise to install a firmware update without an official notice from Apple.
I was one of the few who got the firmware from Apple Engineering and they told me it was specific to my machine. I suppose there might be different chips on the 24ACD throughout it's production run.

It has worked for me, so far.

Heilage

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2009

Logic board or display. AASPs have a way of finding out wich.

It's a known issue, but not widely enough to warrant a warranty extension.

nelmat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
I had this problem for quite some time, i hope it will be a permanent fix.

Quite some time? The very longest is 8 weeks! the hardware has only been available since July. In this period of time you've had plenty of opportunity to return the product or have it repaired/replaced by Apple.

FFX

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2011
Seriously..

Quite some time? The very longest is 8 weeks! the hardware has only been available since July. In this period of time you've had plenty of opportunity to return the product or have it repaired/replaced by Apple.

They'd rather complain than admit they failed to by AppleCare or didn't think it would cover it.

If you pay 1000$ for a monitor, it should at least work when you get it. I would never buy a product with "Apple Care" why should you pay extra, to get a regular warranty, that products must include by LAW.

Last edited by a moderator:

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
Hmm, had no issues with my MNA 2011 11" on the thunderbolt display. I'm not sure if I need to install this update. It looks like a typical case of "if it isn't broken in the first place, don't fix it"

Hey Jude

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2008
Florida
Hmm, had no issues with my MNA 2011 11" on the thunderbolt display. I'm not sure if I need to install this update. It looks like a typical case of "if it isn't broken in the first place, don't fix it"

Same here ---- I assume you meant "MBA". Yep, I'm going to leave well enough alone on this one, too.

duckduckgoose

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I had the flickering problem with my 24" acd. Got a free thunderbolt display because of it!! Yaaaaaaaaas.

renaultf1

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2010

You really have no idea what you are talking about. I love Apple apologists. :rolleyes:
It isn't only 8 weeks that this has been a problem. This affects people with a 24" ACD with a 2011 MBP. I've had the problem since February when I bought my 15" MBP 2.2 and have been waiting patiently for the fix to come along. I am a graphic designer by profession and trust me, the flickering has been a major problem. I've tried every patch they have offered (some made the problem much, much worse) and the last one actually made the flickering livable so I'm hesitant to try anything new until I hear this is actually an "official" patch. My 24" ACD is out of warranty, but the business rep at our local store is willing to help me if this doesn't do the trick. I don't want a 27", I want the 24" that I have to work because it fits my home office space.

Enlighten yourself, go to: https://discussions.apple.com/message/13138386#13138386
if you think the problem has only been going on 8 weeks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.