Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Sep 29, 2011, 07:11 AM   #26
afairhurst
macrumors newbie

Fingers crossed the firmware update works for my MBP2011 and 24"

I've had this issue since upgrading my MacBook Pro earlier this year... 23 weeks ago. It's been very frustrating to live with and unpredictable... I didn't take my Mac & Display into the Apple Store, as I figured it'd probably behave itself and waste my time. I'm pleased to hear that some people had their 24" swapped for a 27". Makes me wish I'd taken my set up in and had the same good fortune.

Although I think the fix should've been released months ago, I'm pleased it's now here. I just hope it works!
afairhurst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2011, 07:26 AM   #27
jimmy0x52
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by afairhurst View Post
I've had this issue since upgrading my MacBook Pro earlier this year... 23 weeks ago. It's been very frustrating to live with and unpredictable... I didn't take my Mac & Display into the Apple Store, as I figured it'd probably behave itself and waste my time. I'm pleased to hear that some people had their 24" swapped for a 27". Makes me wish I'd taken my set up in and had the same good fortune.

Although I think the fix should've been released months ago, I'm pleased it's now here. I just hope it works!
I called apple help AND took it to an apple store. They treated me like I was lying about it and refused to admit they had a fix or do anything about it.

Glad to see they were lying the whole time. Too bad I sold the cinema display thinking it would never work with my brand new macbook pro. Lost money on the deal too.
jimmy0x52 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2011, 08:21 AM   #28
Gen
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by fekimoki View Post
Apple only care about their new product. What about MacBook Pro late 2008 flickering issue on nvidia 9400M? It's been 3 years, and still no fix.
It's a logic board issue. Same thing happened to mine. Took it Apple and they just gave me this new 15" quad-core computer
(i've had several other issues through-out that computers life, of course)
Gen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2011, 08:50 AM   #29
kirky29
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Yahoo to kirky29 Send a message via Skype™ to kirky29
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelmat View Post
Quite some time? The very longest is 8 weeks! the hardware has only been available since July. In this period of time you've had plenty of opportunity to return the product or have it repaired/replaced by Apple.
I got my MacBook Pro in March and that's when my flickering issue started.
I bought my Apple 24" Display in April 2010 from eBay and I didn't know if Apple would do anything about it so I left it...but it didn't bother me & I thought Apple would fix it eventually with an update. Hopefully they have now.
kirky29 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2011, 08:50 AM   #30
randomrazr
Banned

how come they don't offer a 24inch? i mean 27inch display is awesome, but its to big for some people. 24inch would be perfect for me, plus be cheaper then shelling out a 1000 bucks for one lol
randomrazr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2011, 10:10 AM   #31
jonnysods
macrumors 68030

Uh oh. I'm still waiting for my brand new replacement 27" TB display over this very issue.

I hope I still get it! I've been waiting 6 weeks!
jonnysods is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2011, 11:47 AM   #32
pittster
macrumors regular

I've just got back from work to install this dmg file.... doesn't seem to exist any more... any one else able to find/install it?
pittster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2011, 11:59 AM   #33
Mainstream!Hero
macrumors newbie

Apple Support says issue stems from computers

Hmm I just called Apple and they told me the problem lies with the new Thunderbolt chips, not the ADC.

They told me to bring my 2011 MBP to a service provider, who will then install a fix on the computer which is not publicly available.

This is actually far more logical, because the problem only appears when a display is connected to a Thunderbolt port, not when connected to a MiniDisplayPort.
Mainstream!Hero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2011, 12:40 PM   #34
skoorbevad
macrumors member

Too bad they won't issue a fix for the older 27" LED Cinema displays that have been chronically flickering for years. Apple's stonewalled the issue, even though a ton of people are having it. Not what I expect from a $1000 monitor, through 2 replacements.

No real care for products that aren't the latest and greatest, even though the 27" LED Cinema Display is not an "old" product by any means.

Sigh.
skoorbevad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2011, 01:14 PM   #35
kainjow
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittster View Post
I've just got back from work to install this dmg file.... doesn't seem to exist any more... any one else able to find/install it?
Yep looks like Apple pulled it.

Someone uploaded it here though:
https://discussions.apple.com/message/16253604#16253604
kainjow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2011, 01:20 PM   #36
tn9design
macrumors member

My 24" was fine until I bought a macbook pro w thunderbolt. It wasn't a big enough problem to warrant a return (only happening occasionally for a few short seconds) but nonetheless it wasn't working the way it should.

Recently purchased two 27" thunderbolt displays and neither have had any problems with flickering.

My only concern is with selling my 24" since I will feel bad if I sell it to someone with a thunderbolt port.
tn9design is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2011, 01:38 PM   #37
hchung
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMyMac View Post
Is it possible to have a design flaw that no firmware can totally solve?
In general, yes.
hchung is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2011, 01:52 PM   #38
Tony1uk
macrumors newbie

OMG, why would they upload something that fixes an issue that is pretty damn important to me (I paid 650 for this and it doesn't work properly on my 2011 Macbook Pro) and then go and pull it.

They sort of owe it to their customers to assure us of compatibility. FFS, it's only two years ago since I bought it and I am expected to accept it and be happy that I cannot use it properly with my computer. Yes I really have that much money to throw away. Why not just upgrade every year and break compatibility with the product just released.

Why the f have they pulled something that is supposed to provide a fix!!!
Old Sep 29, 2011, 02:01 PM   #39
julian2020
macrumors newbie

What about the Apple Cinema 23 (A1082)?

Hello,

does this Thunderbolt port issue apply to the ACD 23 (A1082)? It uses DVI-D.

Considering buying one second hand to accompany my Macbook Air 11 (2011).
julian2020 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2011, 03:08 PM   #40
andreiru
macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; ru-ru) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

What about those mid '09 MBPs that only work eith stock SATA 1 drives? When will that be fixed? Thy can just reduce SATA 2 back to SATA 1 if it cannot be firmware repaired. The update firmware is useless. So many people with these issues. Practically all owners that chained their drive.
andreiru is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2011, 10:18 PM   #41
accessoriesguy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by fekimoki View Post
Apple only care about their new product. What about MacBook Pro late 2008 flickering issue on nvidia 9400M? It's been 3 years, and still no fix.
yeah i'm on the same boat, i went in to the apple store and they told me i'm out of luck unless I want to pay the price of a new mac for the "repair"
Old Sep 29, 2011, 11:32 PM   #42
MacGuffin
macrumors regular

Adopt in haste, repent in leisure.
MacGuffin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 12:02 AM   #43
DESNOS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kainjow View Post
Yep looks like Apple pulled it.

Someone uploaded it here though:
https://discussions.apple.com/message/16253604#16253604
They even removed that link! There must be some serious bug in the update that they noticed too late.
DESNOS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 02:57 AM   #44
hchung
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian2020 View Post
Hello,

does this Thunderbolt port issue apply to the ACD 23 (A1082)? It uses DVI-D.

Considering buying one second hand to accompany my Macbook Air 11 (2011).
I doubt it. DVI and Displayport are too different for me to expect them to use the same firmware.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1uk View Post
OMG, why would they upload something that fixes an issue that is pretty damn important to me (I paid 650 for this and it doesn't work properly on my 2011 Macbook Pro) and then go and pull it.

They sort of owe it to their customers to assure us of compatibility. FFS, it's only two years ago since I bought it and I am expected to accept it and be happy that I cannot use it properly with my computer. Yes I really have that much money to throw away. Why not just upgrade every year and break compatibility with the product just released.

I dunno, maybe cuz they found other side effects or are still testing to see if they can make it better? (seriously, I've seen other companies pull firmwares for those reasons)
Old Sep 30, 2011, 07:31 AM   #45
qrayg
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1uk View Post
Well, I installed it immediately and have had success for the first 12 hours. Then last night after about 2 hours of straight use, I got another black flash. Haven't had one since, but I'm not sure if this Firmware was a complete fix.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 10:00 AM   #46
mtsmith2
macrumors newbie

Someone have a copy of the file?

Apple has pulled it -- I would love to try and see if the update helps me. Anyone have a copy?
mtsmith2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 11:07 AM   #47
kainjow
Moderator emeritus

Looks like it went official:
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4045
kainjow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2011, 03:49 AM   #48
hchung
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by kainjow View Post
Looks like it went official:
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4045
Huh, it says don't install it if your connected Mac is not Thunderbolt.
This I understand since we shouldn't mess with what's not broken.

It also says don't install it if you're using an extension cable.
Guess there's side-effects to whatever was tweaked.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 01:08 PM   #49
mtsmith2
macrumors newbie

Problem Solved

After 48 hours with the new firmware, No more blinking for me Works like a charm
mtsmith2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2011, 03:23 AM   #50
hchung
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtsmith2 View Post
After 48 hours with the new firmware, No more blinking for me Works like a charm
It worked for me too.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion