Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
Its nice that we are getting faster data speeds but honestly until the data caps get to a point where I can get rid or my DSL connections (not going to happen for a long time if ever) I don't really care. Current 3G is fast enough for my needs on the cell phone. I rarely use my phone as a hotspot again cuz data caps suck.

So faster data doesn't entice me that much to upgrade. Bring me my bigger screen! lol

AeroUK

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2008
New York
Oh no, I was going to move to Verizon but can someone clarify... Verizon do not support this right?

So if I move there to get better voice service I will be missing out of the faster internet speeds that ATT will be getting with the new device???

This sucks ;o(

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
I'd wish...

I'd wish Apple would use its market power at tell providers that they have to offer an unlimited data plan if they want to sell the iPhone. Apple can be progressive at times, so why not stating that with capped data plans, the experience would suffer and therefore it can only be offered with unlimited plans? Besides: Caps are only there to make more money. They don't have to buy one dollar worth more equipment to provide unlimited data. And the providers said it themselves, it only affects some heavy users. It is bogus to say that this would affect all others because they leach the bandwidth... because they still let them and charge extra. :mad:

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
If so, if this is true...

THIS is the BEST new I have heard about the iPhone 5 -- what good is a faster processor when an internet communication device is still crippled by slow-as-molasses 3G data speeds? If this indeed supports ~ 10x speed increase with the HSPA+, then this is good incentive to upgrade to the iPhone 5. The speed alone is a sole selling point for me, rather than dual-core A5, higher Megapixel camera, etc...those are minor deals...

But to actually make this an effective internet surfer by making HSPA+ speed a reality on the iPhone 5 -- this gets me excited! I would like to be able to stream video, really take advantage of cloud computing, and be able to handle broadband-like mobile computing needs on my iDevice, something 3G just can't deliver...for example, uploading a video to YouTube == This is a pain and a hassle on 3G but would be much mor feasible with 4G speeds. So, I am hyped about this news.

You do realize hspa+ is really still part of a 3rd generation cellular network (UMTS with WCDMA air interface).. Although I think hspa+ will be a great upgrade to have on the next iPhone.

The iPhone 4 has HSUPA (5.76mbps uplink) so how exactly is uploading a video a hassle on 3G?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Faster speeds make sense given all the rumors coming out about the iPhone5. With Twitter/Facebook(?) integration, the Assistant and iCloud - there will be more reliance on getting/sending data quickly.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Oh no, I was going to move to Verizon but can someone clarify... Verizon do not support this right?

So if I move there to get better voice service I will be missing out of the faster internet speeds that ATT will be getting with the new device???

This sucks ;o(

yep. AT&T data speeds are already faster than Verizon if you get good coverage. So potentially, at&t speeds will be even faster in the next iPhone, if this is true.

arn

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Honestly, the idea of dividing technologies into 2G, 3G, 4G, etc. is just a marketing gimmick. They all encompass a variety of different technologies which have a range of speeds. Yes, there are official dividing lines, but since they're just marketing gimmicks anyway, it's kind of pointless to argue about what goes in what category. If you really care exactly how fast your connection is, you need to look at the precise technology being used, the same as with a wired connection.

I disagree.. 2G, 3G were ways to differentiate between generations of cellular networks. When marketing got involved that is when it really became a mess. Actually t-mobile coming around and calling hspa+ 14.4mbps 4G and somehow getting the ITU to buy into it started all this nonsense.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
about friggin' time.

i've had 4G LTE since Dec 2009 at 50Mb/s down, 5Mb/s up.

with NO cap.

if the iP5 is LTE, I would consider buying it. 6995 SEK / 1000 USD would be worth the cost, but NOT before LTE implementation is included.

I just can't believe that Apple would release a phone in (almost) 2012 without LTE. It really shows that Apple is an American company.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
If so, if this is true...

THIS is the BEST new I have heard about the iPhone 5 -- what good is a faster processor when an internet communication device is still crippled by slow-as-molasses 3G data speeds? If this indeed supports ~ 10x speed increase with the HSPA+, then this is good incentive to upgrade to the iPhone 5. The speed alone is a sole selling point for me, rather than dual-core A5, higher Megapixel camera, etc...those are minor deals...

What? It is listed as more like a 3x speed increase, not 10x (7 -> 21), and it's still using 3G technology.

Yeah, it's faster, but it's more conservative than 4G or LTE. (which is good, for battery life) Not everyone eats up tons of cellular data.

UnseenLlama

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
about friggin' time.

with NO cap.

if the iP5 is LTE, I would consider buying it. 6995 SEK / 1000 USD would be worth the cost, but NOT before LTE implementation is included.

I just can't believe that Apple would release a phone in (almost) 2012 without LTE. It really shows that Apple is an American company.

Sorry that the US has a lot more area to cover for an LTE upgrade...one tower won't cover the whole country, you know? :cool:

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
From the AT&T, it's not really true 4G. It uses the same radio as the 3G chips, just allows faster speeds. It's not a different radio like 4G LTE or WiMax is. And yes, if you upgrade to a new phone, you can keep your unlimited, even if you're out of contract. The key is to have maintained your current smartphone plan with no changes and no breaks.

Got a source for that?

bigbadnewill

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
As mentioned the hybrid chipset used in the CDMA iPhone is known to support HSPA+ (14.4mbps), so it's almost certain to be supported in the next hybrid iPhone 5.

arn

There we have it, no more of this silly iphone 4s talk...Arn says it's a 5, so it's a 5! FACT

jamesnajera

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2003
AT&T Grandfather users better be able to keep that unlimited data capacity or I'm never switching from the 4! Unlimited Data FTW!

That's is exactly what I thought of, but I think ATT will make us upgrade to a "4G" data plan, bye bye unlimited data. I say "4G" with quotes because I do not believe that 21Mbps is real 4G.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Apple would never do that. That's against Apple's core philosophy. The fact that that option would even be necessary shows a huge failure in the carrier's part.

What a ridiculous statement. On the Iphone 3GS and Iphone 4 Apple provides the capability to turn off 3G. Why would they not provide such a standard feature for 4G.

RyanR.

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2008
Virginia
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A5313e)

JangoFett124 said:
My current phone, an EVO, has a widget that allows 4G to be turned on and off. Hopefully Apple gives the consumer the option.

Apple would never do that. That's against Apple's core philosophy. The fact that that option would even be necessary shows a huge failure in the carrier's part.

Really b/c I just turned my AT&T 3G off on my iPhone 4 and it goes into edge...
:/

LukeHarrison

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2007
This is one of the many reasons I prefer the networks over here in the UK. They've just started rolling out HSPA+ and are advertising it as...wait for it...HSPA+.

It also means my Motorola Atrix is just an Atrix and not a Motorola Atrix 4G Evo SuperSpeed Plus 2.0. :p

Saintlycow

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2011
why not instead of att&t upgrading to 4g, they do a little work on the network they have now and make it so us in smaller regions have at least a descent signal? congrats to you for living in an area that gets 4g, 3g or even full coverage, but some of us don't, and yet we still pay the same as if we were.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
about friggin' time.

with NO cap.

It's not Apple's fault that American mobile operators are pathetic.

After all, Sweden has a population density roughly the same as the continental United States (as well as similarly dense urban areas) and they seem to have their cellular networks in order (as a matter of fact, they were amongst the first to have LTE).

If you want to point the blame at LTE's tardy arrival, you should squarely accuse AT&T, Verizon Wireless, Sprint, and T-Mobile USA. Not Apple.

I would never expect the U.S. to have the same cellular coverage and performance as Japan, Hong Kong, or South Korea, however we should be able to have coverage similar to what Europe enjoys. If it weren't for our pathetic cellular companies here.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Faster data is always great, but I wouldn't want to see the iPhone's phenomenal battery life diminish between 4G and a rumored 4" display.

Anyways, glad to hear Apple is pushing the envelope in regards to tech specs.
Stay well MR friends

Phenomenal? Recently I had to a course in London, and while I had 3G on, my iPhone would be pushing 20% battery life by 4pm with light usage at lunch and breaks.

I dread to think what the iPhone "4G"s life would be if they enabled 4G, especially as they're probably going to go for this "Thinner & Lighter" still, resulting in them probably not being able to improve the battery life.

oshia86

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2011
about friggin' time.

with NO cap.

Oh, you mean a successful company, right?*

*that sting is just your pride, that'll go away in a few days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.