Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

It has taken nearly two years, but CNET reports that an appeals court has ruled in favor of Apple in its lawsuit against Psystar, a company that began selling unauthorized Mac clones back in 2008.
Circuit Judge Mary Schroeder ruled yesterday that Psystar's Mac clones violated copyrights Apple holds, and its ban on sales will be upheld. According to Judge Schroeder, Psystar specifically violated copyrights Apple holds in Mac OS X, and said that the U.S. District Court's ruling in favor of Apple was just.
Apple was awarded a permanent injunction against Psystar in December 2009, but Psystar appealed the decision to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit a month later.

i_sued_psystar_shirt.png

Psystar's 2009 last-ditch effort to raise funds for its legal fight against Apple
Psystar was unusually defiant in its stance against Apple given the threat it faced from the substantially larger company, and extended its legal efforts well beyond what most small companies would typically be willing to engage in. Those efforts lead Apple to suggest that Psystar could have been part of a conspiracy with the backing of a larger entity attempting to break open Apple's stranglehold on Mac OS X systems, but no concrete evidence of such a connection has ever been exposed.

Article Link: Appeals Court Sides with Apple in Dispute over Psystar's Unauthorized Mac Clones

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
Holy touchdown Jesus, I barely remember when this started lol I remember even less clearly how I almost ordered one...

nerdo

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2010
Deathstar Cantina
Always wondered where that money came from and how they could afford being so defiant. Who knows, perhaps some internet bubble money went into this.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
The only surprise here is that it took this long to get upheld. Seriously, Psystar should have given up after the first cease and desist letter, their business plan never made any sense.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Those efforts lead Apple to suggest that Psystar could have been part of a conspiracy with the backing of a larger entity attempting to break open Apple's stranglehold on Mac OS X systems, but no concrete evidence of such a connection has ever been exposed.

Oh please lol, if I wanted to read nonsense like that I could go to one of those schizophrenic websites like Above Top Secret

anonicon

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2006

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Were they(phystar) including a copy of OSX with their machines or were they just selling the systems pre-configured fully and compatible without an OS installed?

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
If i recall correctly they were preinstalled with an altered version or something like that.

I know they were providing copies of the OS which was a huge issue. Man that was a long time ago. Forgot all about this case.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Isn't this also the company whose business address was the home of one of the owners Mom?

I seem to recall some Google map images circulating.

greenmeanie

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
AmigaWarez
Who cares where the money came from?
Should the rich be the only one who should win a court case?

Always wondered where that money came from and how they could afford being so defiant. Who knows, perhaps some internet bubble money went into this.

----------

Don't forget TONYMAC the best way to run a hackingtosh.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
The only surprise here is that it took this long to get upheld. Seriously, Psystar should have given up after the first cease and desist letter, their business plan never made any sense.

And yet I spent a lot of time reading arguments from folks telling me I was wrong when I explained why Psytar would lose.

Psystar lost, but they did help point the way for mackintoshes:

Nice revisionist history.

Actually, wasn't Psystar just ripping off the hackintosh community's work for their own purposes ? I think you got the roles reversed here. It's the hackintoshes that paved the way for Psystar.

Exactly.

Dae

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2009
They should have been selling Mac OS X / EFI / whatever-enabled PCs and the retail version of OS X, providing an instruction how to install it.

42streetsdown

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2011
Gallifrey, 5124
I don't understand why the case even still existed up to this point. Psystar stop existing a while back right? Or maybe i don't understand how bankruptcy works.

It must have been the 3 families behind this! No one else can hide that well.

Clearly there's no other explanation!! :eek:

Am I right??

I don't think many people will get your joke.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.