Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
Oddly enough, Apple considered the iPhone 3G as a minor update to the original iPhone...and the 3GS as major upgrade to the 3G model.

Regardless of what this phone is called - and I think there will be only one - I think the combo of new hardware and iOS5 will make this a worthy successor to the iPhone 4. So far, the rumors are an 8 megapixel camera, an A5 processor, and 1GB of RAM.

Keep in mind marketing names the phones. Also keep in mind that the iPhone 4 is currently outselling all other smartphone models. And it's 18 months old. Do you honestly think the average consumer is going to forego buying a new iPhone simply because they stuck the letter "S" on the end of its name?

oiuh151

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2011
Here you go.....http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/15/alleged-iphone-5-images-begin-to-surface-online/ And he CONFIRMS that the casemate designs that surfaced briefly, which are bigger and represent a redesigned iphone, have been quoted as being authentic from apple employees. Again, I don't know how anyone forgot this article. And I choose to believe the EMPLOYEE.

I don't exactly consider The New York Times a credible tech related source nor can I find any other source that says that that information came from an Apple employee. The BGR report they link to has no mention of any Apple employee.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

This is disappointing if true. I'm going to buy it regardless but dang, Apple, really? Give us a bigger screen! I'm all for same case design as iPhone 4 with a bigger screen, but if only internals improve, I'm going to be upset.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
By making the 4 a world phone, they would be internally improving it. Hence, the 4S. You are completely out of your mind, Maam.

And who are you to say that Apple reserves "S" for anything. They've had one device with an S at the end. It's not like there is some common pattern that they have followed.

Maam? I am not a woman. You know what, wait till Tuesday and get back to me. There is a common pattern they have followed. Where have you been?

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
I will never wait for an Apple device with "5" on its name, ever. First PowerBook G5, and now the iPhone 5. Also iPod Touch 5G will likely be missing this year.

Stay assured that, in 2014, your expectations for the iPad 5 will be betrayed.

:p

Thalesian

macrumors member
May 12, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Good enough is not good enough

Apple is either the second or first ranked company in the world in market capitalization (depending on stock swings). The iPhone represents a sizable fraction of its income.

aapl_sales_by_quarter.jpg

The iPhone 4S would have a lower CPU relative to its peers at Samsung (1 x 2 Ghz vs. 1.2/1.4 x 2 Ghz). The screen would be inferior to the SAMOLED displays. The iPhone 4S would have limited connectivity relative to these devices ("4G" vs. 3G).

A spec-bumped iPhone would be a good phone, but it's not clear that it would be a great phone. And it's certainly not clear that it would be sufficient to hold the iPhone's market position for a full year. iPhones 1-3 did well because they had almost an entire market to themselves. The iPhone 4 did well by taking advantage of a common name and having incredible specs relative to its peers. It matched the Nexus and hurdled past the Droid.

I guess the iPhone 4S would be good enough for now - but that doesn't strike me as the Apple way. Especially after an extended period of development.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
Apple's priority, like any business, is to make money. If this new phone is just a refined iPhone 4, from their perspective they've got a common model across all carriers, including overseas, in a form factor they've been producing for awhile that they can now make for less money than a new design. Top it off with a new operating system that will answer many functional complaints the naysayers have of the existing phones, and I don't see how one could argue against their priorities. Any of the rumored redesigns are simply icing on the cake in my eyes because I look at the overall functionality of the phone as still being the best experience of any cell phone on the market.....

They don't need to take design advice from you.

lol, i clearly see where Apple is coming from, in a business standpoint.

I'm talking as a consumer who expects more from the #1 tech company in the world. And the design advice isn't coming from me, the design is the supposed to be iPhone 5 based off Chinese case designs.

janderson0719

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2011
There's something I'm having trouble figuring out. And it's not specifically you, most people in this thread so far are guilty of it. What exactly is it about a redesigned outer shell that makes enough of a difference to influence whether you stick with the platform or jump ship? Whether it looks new or it looks like an iPhone 4, the internals and upgrades are bound to be nearly identical. Why is everyone putting so much weight on just the appearance of the phone?

I get what your saying as I'm one of those people. To answer your question, partly, I think there are a good size of people who are wanting a bigger screen on the iPhone. With a bigger screen there will be a redesign.

I'm sick of the 3.5" screen.

The smartphone industry is changing and looking at a 3.5" screen for all my browsing and media junk, it just doesn't cut it anymore.

vikingjunior

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2011
By making the 4 a world phone, they would be internally improving it. Hence, the 4S. You are completely out of your mind, Maam.

And who are you to say that Apple reserves "S" for anything. They've had one device with an S at the end. It's not like there is some common pattern that they have followed.

As a disgruntle Android user I welcome the 4s.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I don't get all the handwringing over this. Internals will be upgraded either way. The only real issue is whether the screen size will change. Yeah 3.5 vs 4 is a difference, but enough to leave a platform you're otherwise happy with? Not for me. Really not a big deal either way. The ip4 design is quite nice. I've got no problem sticking with it for another generation.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A5313e)

Mr X.

At least the source is credible, not like that phony Mr Y.

I8P'CS

Suspended
Jul 29, 2010
The iMac stays the same for about 2-3 years during this time it gets up dated with spec bumps same for MBP & MBA why do people want/expect a redesigned iPhone each year? Just be grateful you can afford a new iPhone cos there is more important things to life than the constant moaning to have the latest apple products.
The winners are apple who make the money and the share holders.

theperipheral

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
You know what, wait till Tuesday and get back to me. There is a common pattern they have followed. Where have you been?

Listen lady, can you please explain the pattern to me? You must have some kind of Stephen Hawking mathematical hypothesis about patterns if you see one.

iPhone
iPhone 3G - redesign
iPhone 3GS - no redesign, way better internals
iPhone 4 - redesign, way better internals

The only "pattern" that Apple has followed thus-far is releasing the iPhone in June...which they have broken this year. So if you think that there is some kind of pattern in any of this iPhone business, I'd love to see where it is. Just because they released an S device ONE TIME out of 4, doesn't mean it's somehow a pattern that they follow. Grow a cerebellum.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
The iMac stays the same for about 2-3 years during this time it gets up dated with spec bumps same for MBP & MBA why do people want/expect a redesigned iPhone each year? Just be grateful you can afford a new iPhone cos there is more important things to life than the constant moaning to have the latest apple products.
The winners are apple who make the money and the share holders.

You can't compare a mobile smartphone to a desktop or laptop. They're completely different.

Be grateful? Yeah, true i guess if we always see the things we have, as a blessing, and don't demand more, then we can say bye-bye to innovation and economic growth.
I never moaned for constant Apple product, heck i'm using an iPhone 3G so you can clearly see i don't want the latest and greatest all the time. I just expected more from Apple.

Pro31

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2009
I really want a bigger screen. If it doesnt have one, I will highly tempted to jump ship. I still like my iphone a lot, so I cant guarantee it, but I definitely will be considering it.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Can you please explain the pattern to me?

I sure can!

iPhone
iPhone 3G - redesign

..... You just illustrated the pattern. Next will be the iPhone 4S with iPhone 4 as the low-end offering. Neither will be redesigned- iPhone 4 will remain as is for the most part, if not completely. iPhone 4S will receive the internal boosts, worldwide whatever, etc. Next year we will have a redesigned phone. Whether or not it is named "iPhone 5" is anyone's guess- but I am guessing it will not be (iPhone 9, 10, 11? Really?)
Is this seriously that hard?

I already established that I am not a lady, I am a man. You are being juvenile and you are this upset because I have a different opinion than you on a phone? :cool:

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
If and only if there is only a 4S -- yeah it'll be disappointing. However this disappointment will be offset (somewhat) by the fact that a significant amount of resources have been poured into the software side of things. It seems people are kind of forgetting about this little nugget of truth.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I sincerely hope all the people whining in this thread, and those like it, who "threaten" to "leave" if there is no major redesign, actually stick to their word.

Last edited by a moderator:

rockrigo

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2007
iMacs/Powerbooks/etc haven't been constrained to 1 display size, there are different sizes and those are basically industry standard sizes so a redesign doesn't really work the same way on those

Widashy

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2011
Listen lady, can you please explain the pattern to me? You must have some kind of Stephen Hawking mathematical hypothesis about patterns if you see one.

iPhone
iPhone 3G - redesign

The only "pattern" that Apple has followed thus-far is releasing the iPhone in June...which they have broken this year. So if you think that there is some kind of pattern in any of this iPhone business, I'd love to see where it is. Just because they released an S device ONE TIME out of 4, doesn't mean it's somehow a pattern that they follow. Grow a cerebellum.
You guys are actually debating on whether the iPhone would have 5 or 4S. That is hilarious.

ArchaicRevival

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2011
Bucketheadland
Because the iPhone 4 is a flawed design? Due to the antennagate, glass breaking, proximity sensor issues, ergonomic issues, the fact that consumer report couldn't recommend it etc.? Because a 3.5" screen is too small for the current smartphone industry?

Even if the next iPhone looks similar to the iPhone 4, i just want a rounded edge, no glass, and a bigger screen, that will do for me.

Yet it's still selling like hot cake in my store even if I tell customers that the new iPhone is just weeks away...

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
What exactly is it about a redesigned outer shell that makes enough of a difference to influence whether you stick with the platform or jump ship? Whether it looks new or it looks like an iPhone 4, the internals and upgrades are bound to be nearly identical. Why is everyone putting so much weight on just the appearance of the phone?

Screen size, fragile glass, antenna problems. These are not appearance issues, but they can't be resolved without external physical changes to the phone. I don't want different for the sake of being different, I want these improvements - and I won't get them if they don't redesign.

echo44

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
My iPhone 4 has no problems with the antenna, runs all
software reasonably well, my collegue has the new galaxy with the
big screen, Nice phone howvere the battery only last a few hours.

All these comments on how apple is shooting itself in the foot etc.
sounds like armchair quarterbacks. Apple is by far one of the most efficiently
run companies in the world. The earnings have been growing every quater at record pace. They sell every iphone that is made and have trouble keeping up with demand. They now are the biggest corporation in the world as measured by market cap. However so many of you complain and suggest apple will loose buisness by releasing only a 4s. Illl put my money on Apple.

Also what really makes the iphone so great is the software and integration with apple services which is sooooooo more important than the hardware!!
as steve one said " the software is the Jem"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.