Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Sep 30, 2011, 12:02 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Widespread MobileMe Outage Affecting Mail, Me.com, and Find My iPhone

A number of Apple's MobileMe services appear to have been down for several hours now, and Apple's system status page indicates that the company is experiencing issues with MobileMe Mail, me.com web apps, and Find My iPhone.

Occasional downtime for MobileMe is not terribly unusual, but today's issues appear to be more widespread than usual and lasting a fairly significant period of time.

Apple is of course expected to officially launch its iCloud services in the near future, with much of MobileMe's functionality transitioning to the new service. Users with active MobileMe subscriptions will, however, be able to continue using the service through June 30, 2012, after which time MobileMe will be officially discontinued.

Article Link: Widespread MobileMe Outage Affecting Mail, Me.com, and Find My iPhone
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 12:06 AM   #2
benhollberg
macrumors 68020

It was out for about three hours for me earlier but back working now.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 12:07 AM   #3
LimeiBook86
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to LimeiBook86 Send a message via MSN to LimeiBook86 Send a message via Yahoo to LimeiBook86
Well I hope they fix it soon! My mail seems to working okay for now, but things were glitchy before.
LimeiBook86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 12:08 AM   #4
TMar
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Yahoo to TMar Send a message via Skype™ to TMar
I saw earlier when I was in itunes that genius was down as well...
Old Sep 30, 2011, 12:12 AM   #5
Russell L
macrumors regular

I've been unable to send mail from my MobileMe account for the past several hours. Tried with my iPhone, desktop, and MBP. Keeps rejecting because it doesn't like my password (which of course is correct)....
Russell L is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 12:23 AM   #6
kylebshr
macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

Similar with iCloud, keeps rejecting my password O.o related?
kylebshr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 12:42 AM   #7
alectheking
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylebshr View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

Similar with iCloud, keeps rejecting my password O.o related?
Agreed, icloud has not been working right for the last few hours. For what its worth, I upgraded from mobile me, so my account is till partially tied to me.com
alectheking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 01:02 AM   #8
captain kaos
macrumors 65816

Yep, same here and its still down.

Last edited by captain kaos; Sep 30, 2011 at 01:16 AM.
captain kaos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 01:08 AM   #9
Peace
macrumors P6

I'm using a transitioned . Mac to iCloud account in IOS5 and it's down for me too. Has been for the past 3 or 4 hours.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 01:09 AM   #10
MakX
macrumors member

Cannot login to my iTunes account in iTunes, but can do it on the "My Apple ID" website. Must be related?
MakX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 01:18 AM   #11
jsttesting
macrumors newbie

Down for the past few hours here as well

Same here, from Australia.

I'm using the transitioned account from MobileMe to iCloud.

Last refresh was at 12.18 pm and can't get mails from then.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 01:44 AM   #12
Combustion
macrumors newbie

In Australia as well, and still no go with iCloud; MobileMe seems to be fine tho.

I think this has something to do with the fact that Apple just moved the entire web interface/apps to Akamai. iCloud used to resolve to Apple's IP ranges and hosts; but now resolves to Akamai IP's and www.icloud.com is actually now www.icloud.com.akadns.net

I suspect they are having DNS and routing issues with the move. Gotta get it all playing nice with S3 and Azure as well; or maybe this is Apple finally moving to their own data centre and using Akamai inbetween?
Combustion is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 01:47 AM   #13
kiwiboi87
macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Was having load issues with app store and iTunes on iPhone.

Not sure if it's linked or not.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 01:53 AM   #14
Combustion
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiboi87 View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Both the App Store and iTunes rely on Akamai as a CDN for the entire service.
I think we have found the culprit.
Would make even more sense than I thought actually; due to iTunes Match w/ iCloud.
I'm putting money on that they are about to or are rolling everything to their data centre and that Akamai isn't playing nice.
Combustion is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 02:07 AM   #15
rmwebs
Banned

This is why Apple shouldnt do web services. They quite clearly suck at it. I'll stick with S3 and Rackspace Cloud thanks!
rmwebs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 02:15 AM   #16
kycophpd
macrumors 6502

One final fail for MobileMe before extinction.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 02:45 AM   #17
kansai-pj
macrumors newbie

mobile me still out

I have been unable to send or receive mail for the last five and a half hours (with a ten min exception about two hours ago). This in unacceptable. I understand difficulties with the conversion to iClould, but 5 hours?~?

Help Apple!!!

kansai-pj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 03:27 AM   #18
danckwerts
macrumors member

I'm surprised anyone noticed

This sounds about normal for MobileMe, at least on this side of the Pond.
danckwerts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 03:30 AM   #19
kiwiboi87
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combustion
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiboi87 View Post

Would make even more sense than I thought actually; due to iTunes Match w/ iCloud.
I'm putting money on that they are about to or are rolling everything to their data centre and that Akamai isn't playing nice.
Great.
Makes iCloud look more inviting,

I must say over the week, I have had a few issues with MobileMe, different days and times.
From log in rejecting, to mail issues.

I think it's just been building up
Old Sep 30, 2011, 04:47 AM   #20
kyjaotkb
macrumors 6502

gallery down too

have been trying to upload photos unsuccessfully in the past 12 hours.
activity monitor showed no upload, photos are not on my gallery this morning....
Old Sep 30, 2011, 05:00 AM   #21
peterp1960
macrumors newbie

Lack of information to me.com customers

hello
in Belgium: after at least 3 hours still no mail. I contacted the phone support and got some guy in the Netherlands who had the nerve of telling me to look at the support website and adding "they were not working for me.com". I then tried the chat support who were blissfully unaware of the problem. The support guy discovered it when checking me.com webmail. He also referred me to the support website saying that this would be the fastest way to find out what's going on. This really not acceptable. Apple could at least provide regular updates on this problem. It is a paid service, after all. Is this the way they expect customers' loyalty?
peter
peterp1960 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 05:26 AM   #22
henchosbandito
macrumors member

Just got access back in the UK - hate to sound conceited, but service was resumed after a few hours of downtime and I had no new mail which is almost unheard of for on a Friday morning (I get loads of marketing emails which get sent like clockwork). Hope no messages were lost! It is most probably because Im unpopular though
henchosbandito is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 05:57 AM   #23
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchosbandito View Post
Just got access back in the UK - hate to sound conceited, but service was resumed after a few hours of downtime and I had no new mail which is almost unheard of for on a Friday morning (I get loads of marketing emails which get sent like clockwork). Hope no messages were lost! It is most probably because Im unpopular though

**Tears up** We all love you. Don't feel bad.

But if you are conceited again - we'll all rip you to bits.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 06:26 AM   #24
diamond.g
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combustion View Post
Apple still needs CDN's.
diamond.g is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2011, 07:33 AM   #25
henchosbandito
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post

But if you are conceited again - we'll all rip you to bits.
Noted

AS a small but uninteresting update, the emails I would normally have received during the outage have hit my inbox. Whether or not they were just sent later than usual or have taken some time to filter through we may never know. Thanks *low cost airline* and *cheap but tasty pizza place* for making me feel wanted.
henchosbandito is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion