Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A number of Apple's MobileMe services appear to have been down for several hours now, and Apple's system status page indicates that the company is experiencing issues with MobileMe Mail, me.com web apps, and Find My iPhone.

mobileme_status_down_92911.jpg

Occasional downtime for MobileMe is not terribly unusual, but today's issues appear to be more widespread than usual and lasting a fairly significant period of time.

Apple is of course expected to officially launch its iCloud services in the near future, with much of MobileMe's functionality transitioning to the new service. Users with active MobileMe subscriptions will, however, be able to continue using the service through June 30, 2012, after which time MobileMe will be officially discontinued.

Article Link: Widespread MobileMe Outage Affecting Mail, Me.com, and Find My iPhone

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
I saw earlier when I was in itunes that genius was down as well...

Russell L

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2006
San Francisco
I've been unable to send mail from my MobileMe account for the past several hours. Tried with my iPhone, desktop, and MBP. Keeps rejecting because it doesn't like my password (which of course is correct)....

kylebshr

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2011
Tennessee
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

Similar with iCloud, keeps rejecting my password o_O related?

alectheking

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

Similar with iCloud, keeps rejecting my password o_O related?

Agreed, icloud has not been working right for the last few hours. For what its worth, I upgraded from mobile me, so my account is till partially tied to me.com

MakX

macrumors member
May 27, 2009
Cannot login to my iTunes account in iTunes, but can do it on the "My Apple ID" website. Must be related?

jsttesting

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2008
Down for the past few hours here as well

Same here, from Australia.

I'm using the transitioned account from MobileMe to iCloud.

Last refresh was at 12.18 pm and can't get mails from then.

Combustion

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2009
In Australia as well, and still no go with iCloud; MobileMe seems to be fine tho.

I think this has something to do with the fact that Apple just moved the entire web interface/apps to Akamai. iCloud used to resolve to Apple's IP ranges and hosts; but now resolves to Akamai IP's and http://www.icloud.com is actually now http://www.icloud.com.akadns.net

I suspect they are having DNS and routing issues with the move. Gotta get it all playing nice with S3 and Azure as well; or maybe this is Apple finally moving to their own data centre and using Akamai inbetween?

kiwiboi87

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2011
New Zealand
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Was having load issues with app store and iTunes on iPhone.

Not sure if it's linked or not.

Combustion

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Both the App Store and iTunes rely on Akamai as a CDN for the entire service.
I think we have found the culprit.
Would make even more sense than I thought actually; due to iTunes Match w/ iCloud.
I'm putting money on that they are about to or are rolling everything to their data centre and that Akamai isn't playing nice.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
This is why Apple shouldnt do web services. They quite clearly suck at it. I'll stick with S3 and Rackspace Cloud thanks!

kycophpd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
Louisville, Kentucky

One final fail for MobileMe before extinction.

kansai-pj

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2008
mobile me still out

I have been unable to send or receive mail for the last five and a half hours (with a ten min exception about two hours ago). This in unacceptable. I understand difficulties with the conversion to iClould, but 5 hours?~?

Help Apple!!!

:mad:

kiwiboi87

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2011
New Zealand

Combustion said:

Would make even more sense than I thought actually; due to iTunes Match w/ iCloud.
I'm putting money on that they are about to or are rolling everything to their data centre and that Akamai isn't playing nice.

Great.
Makes iCloud look more inviting,

I must say over the week, I have had a few issues with MobileMe, different days and times.
From log in rejecting, to mail issues.

I think it's just been building up

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
gallery down too

have been trying to upload photos unsuccessfully in the past 12 hours.
activity monitor showed no upload, photos are not on my gallery this morning....

peterp1960

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2011
Lack of information to me.com customers

hello
in Belgium: after at least 3 hours still no mail. I contacted the phone support and got some guy in the Netherlands who had the nerve of telling me to look at the support website and adding "they were not working for me.com". I then tried the chat support who were blissfully unaware of the problem. The support guy discovered it when checking me.com webmail. He also referred me to the support website saying that this would be the fastest way to find out what's going on. This really not acceptable. Apple could at least provide regular updates on this problem. It is a paid service, after all. Is this the way they expect customers' loyalty?
peter

henchosbandito

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2008
Somewhere between 10 and 11
Just got access back in the UK - hate to sound conceited, but service was resumed after a few hours of downtime and I had no new mail which is almost unheard of for on a Friday morning (I get loads of marketing emails which get sent like clockwork). Hope no messages were lost! It is most probably because Im unpopular though :(

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Just got access back in the UK - hate to sound conceited, but service was resumed after a few hours of downtime and I had no new mail which is almost unheard of for on a Friday morning (I get loads of marketing emails which get sent like clockwork). Hope no messages were lost! It is most probably because Im unpopular though :(

**Tears up** We all love you. Don't feel bad.:p

But if you are conceited again - we'll all rip you to bits. :rolleyes: :D

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX

Apple still needs CDN's.

henchosbandito

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2008
Somewhere between 10 and 11
But if you are conceited again - we'll all rip you to bits. :rolleyes: :D

Noted :)

AS a small but uninteresting update, the emails I would normally have received during the outage have hit my inbox. Whether or not they were just sent later than usual or have taken some time to filter through we may never know. Thanks *low cost airline* and *cheap but tasty pizza place* for making me feel wanted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.