Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tastic Bycrom

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008
Kansas City, MO
Seems unfortunate to kill off the old iPod line completely without having the new line be a complete replacement. Maybe higher capacity + better voice control will be good enough.

... or maybe they'll introduce a new classic iPod that runs iOS! :eek: Just kidding.

jmcguckin

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2008
Akron, OH
I've owned a couple HDD-based iPods in the past (starting with the 4GB iPod mini, then a 60GB "thick" classic and finally a 160GB "thin" classic), and it'll be tough for me to see these old standbys finally get the axe (assuming that's Apple's plan) considering they're what got me interested in Apple in the first place... that said, though, I'll gladly welcome a transition from the slow file access times of HDD-based iPods to those with much faster flash memory, as long as the excellent sound quality of the iPod classic can be maintained in the next-gen iPod touch/iPhone.

Obi-Wan Kubrick

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2007
The Doors iPod Edition

I can just imagine the Apple event opening to the music of The Doors song The End. My only friend the end. Maybe Apple will release a Door's themed iPod Classic similar to the U2 iPod. lol

Perrumpo

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
sad day. still use my ipod classic everyday on the morning commute.

still is a class music player, just hope the touch ipods get bigger storage to accomadate the large libraries people have.

Same here. Although what would really be awesome is if your car stereo could access all of your music via the cloud. I rarely even remember to bring my Classic in from the car to sync it.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Why the Classic was never upgraded with more storage.

Apple never upgraded the capacity because they want the storage gap between the Touch and the Classic to be as little as possible when they discontinue it.

My theory.

walnuts

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
If they introduce a 128 GB Touch, it kind of reduces the market for Classics down to next to nothing; especially when coupled with Cloud services.

Can they do this now? I don't know the details, but as I recall the iPod touch has two "slots" each capable of holding the then max of 32GB (or cost effective max). The iPhone has only one "slot" (the space for the other filled with antenna parts). So, if the other rumors are true that a 64GB option on the iPhone is imminent (1 slot with 64GB), then a 128GB iPod touch is possible and likely.

With such a iPod touch is possible, I'm sorry to say, but I don't see apple keeping the iPod classic around just to appease the people who like the older design. An iPod touch has a lot of benefits for apple- classic owners aren't shopping on the App Store and all. Plus, having had a classic, I know the hard drives are fragile- its great if yours still works but it is still definitely fragile. The company that prides itself in axing old tech- floppy discs, cd-roms, etc., can't possibly keep around the classic with all of this stacked against it.

macintoshdaddy

macrumors member
May 31, 2009
Apple is turning everything into the "all-in-one" device... what does the iPod Classic do? It simply plays music. Like the Kindle displays books. Like a DSLR used to only shoot photos. Apple's "motto" has always been to keep things simple.. why not keep doing that, in addition to making all of these wonderful iOS devices? I want something I can listen to music on, so as not to get distracted with the internet, or games, taking pictures, etc. And he's right, they DO make great additions to a car stereo! I use my iPod Video 5G for that!

:apple:

Exhumed

macrumors member
May 12, 2011
I have to restore my iPod classic every time I update it, and iTunes practically locks up my computer each time I connect it. If you actually have 160 gigs of music, the iPod classic is a huge hassle. Even the click wheel is a bit unintuitive for a library of that size. I feel somewhat cheated, like they were never catering to my demographic but I bought the model offered to my demographic out of (stupid) loyalty. They don't care about the audiophiles, they care about the people who have never had a problem fitting all of their crappy songs and apps on an 8 or 16 gig iPod touch.

I'm just reaching maximum capacity, so I guess I'll be buying my first non-Apple MP3 player soon.

Kitschier

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2011
Seems logical...

iPhone boost to 64 GB
iPod Touch boost to 128 GB
iPod Classic discontinuation
iPod Nano remains a Shuffle/Nano hybrid

Don't know about you guys, but this seems perfect to me.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
The iPod appeared to be unbeatable until it became clear that in the near future, people would be listening to music on their smart phones. Soon, it would be redundant to carry a single purpose music player when you could have everything in your one device. The big elephant in the Apple boardroom: The mighty iPod had its days numbered.

Apple was smart to get in the phone business. If they hadn't, today, we would be talking about Apple going down in defeat as they shut down their iPod line.

Instead, Apple is closing it down but still at the top with a duo of at the time non existing products: iPad and iPhone. How far they've come :)

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I really hope they don't drop the Classic. I take mine everyday to work with me and still works great after daily use for years. I'm tempted to buy a new Classic for when this one dies.

ThatDeafGuy

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2011
Arrogance show by some people on this thread (and others, usually the same people) is astounding! Just because you don't want the iPod Classic does not mean no one else does!

My thouights on this, it's sad to see the Classic go (that's if it is, it may get a re-launch, you never know), as it's a high capacity gadget. It would be rather strange should Apple discontinue it and have nothing else to replace it with. But then, it's all down to Apple, there's nothing any of us can say about it.

Would be nice to see 128GB iPod Touch (or even bigger, again it can go either way) I agree..... we'll just have to wait and see what happens next week.

cPol

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2011
Lowell, MA
Damn shame to see this device go. I'll miss the ease of being able to interact with it without ever having to take it out of my pocket.

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
Obviously the Touch makes a ton more money for them via the AppStore, but it would be sad to see the click-wheel go the way of the dodo, it is much easier and safer to use while driving than the touch screen on the iPhone and Touch. I still use my 80GB iPod for music in the car and my 40GB still works. Of course the thought of Apple nuking the iPod Classic makes me want to buy one.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
Time to buy some Classics and put 'em in the freezer. Even if Flash surpasses HDD capacity, I still prefer the click wheel UI for music.

PapaStu

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2011
Bay Area, CA
I bought one game right around the time I got my 30GB Video (which was at it's launch). It was a SRPG by SquareEnix and had some cute innovations (attaching songs to the game, so when played, they'd level up and made your characters stronger), but using that wheel for the interface was clunky and tedious. Besides the darn thing sucked up so much juice playing the game that I gave up on it pretty quickly.

I never bought another game for either that 30 or the 160 'Classic' that replaced it. A little sad that the classic is going, but when there is no demand it doesn't surprise me. I'm sure those game sales have been stagnant for years.

Sequin

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2010
I didn't even know there were games for my iPod. Either way I can't live without my classic though! Don't let it die! D:

lucascampelo

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2011
THIS !

Everyone I know uses one as a Car system !

Can't they just make less iPods but keep it available for their loyal customers so we can replace our iPods when they die !?!?

Please Apple !

Making less is more expensive in the long run.

rowley

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
London, UK
Final Fantasy: Song Summoner was one of the coolest click wheel games released. You turn your songs into warriors, which level up each time you listen to them on your iPod!

I like that one, and vortex too.

I haven't had a classic ipod for years, I thought of getting a nano 3G a little while ago, just for the games, and a tiny video player - just to be different.

----------

So it does suggest the classic is out.
I still think they're going to keep the shuffle, just leave it in it's current configuration for a year or two.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.