Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England

It might be a year old but it's still "all-new" to Apple...

Screen Shot 2011-09-30 at 15.15.28.png

http://www.apple.com/uk/appletv/

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
I'm still waiting for Apple to revolutionize the TV industry...

first MP3... then Cell Phones... then tablets.... TV is next I can feel it!

the redownload feature is a killer feature if you only watch a few programs

my kids only watch a few cartoon episodes and some are free on the ipad. apple tv + ipad + mirroring to TV is a killer feature for some programs especially on PBS

and my vane 4 year old son will love to see photos of himself on the TV via the ipad

iPhisch

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
Indiana
when you airplay video from iPad to aTV, do you get full screen 16x9 or is in a widescreen video smashed into a 4.3 box with black sidebars like i've seen with my hdmi dongle? I really would like to see them upgrade to the A5 chip, come on guys!

Ciclismo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Germany
Do I officially kiss my dreams of a soon-coming 1080p Apple TV goodbye?

Considering there were 3 years between Apple TV gen 1 and 2, and the current one being barely a year old, then I would say yes.

On a related note, I was rather disappointed when I finally bought my Apple TV yesterday - I had expected it to be quite a bit larger. Instead, it looks like it is cowering in the shadow of my amp :D

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
when you airplay video from iPad to aTV, do you get full screen 16x9 or is in a widescreen video smashed into a 4.3 box with black sidebars like i've seen with my hdmi dongle? I really would like to see them upgrade to the A5 chip, come on guys!

You get full wide-screen, ofc depending on the video source.

Ciclismo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Germany

Full screen (if the original source is available in 16:9).

ladymacintosh

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2011
Seattle
dumping the DVR next week and buying one. that will make it a PS3 for blu ray, x-box 360 for games and possible IP TV and apple TV for kids cartoons and maybe cheap movie rentals that i don't want to order a blu ray from netflix for

You might consider Roku instead. It has WAY more options for things to watch than the ATV. I have both, but lately the Roku is getting more play. They have a ton of kids channels for the Roku.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
I've got a Roku on one TV that I use for Netflix and Amazon Prime and I love it. I was really hoping for a 1080p AppleTV for my nicer TV and have been holding out...but I'm probably going to settle and pick up a 1080p Roku if they don't announce one soon.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
You might consider Roku instead. It has WAY more options for things to watch than the ATV. I have both, but lately the Roku is getting more play. They have a ton of kids channels for the Roku.

I have both and I don't see way more options on the Roku. Are you referring to all the free "channels" available on Roku? That's the same as the free "Podcasts" available on the Apple TV. In fact, Apple has hundreds upon hundreds of free channels available.

The only major thing the Apple TV is missing that Roku has is Hulu Plus. But Roku is missing so much more and the implementation isn't as good as the Apple TV. My Roku mostly collects dust these days.

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota
well!! what the ****!! happened to adding apps to the apple tv?!!

and what about those bits of code that made the apple TV look like game console?

sigh*

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I have both and I don't see way more options on the Roku. Are you referring to all the free "channels" available on Roku? That's the same as the free "Podcasts" available on the Apple TV. In fact, Apple has hundreds upon hundreds of free channels available.

The only major thing the Apple TV is missing that Roku has is Hulu Plus. But Roku is missing so much more and the implementation isn't as good as the Apple TV. My Roku mostly collects dust these days.

Amazon video. Several premium channels. Plus from what I hear Roku handles streams better (a buddy of mine has a Roku and an aTV and says aTV always has to buffer when playing netflix, Roku never does.)

EDIT: Also Pandora, Rdio, etc etc

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
I would also like to see a newer ATV have gigabit ethernet and maybe a bit faster processor. Gigabit ethernet would help it lots running XBMC - too much buffering currently with 100Mbps.

maprx

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2009
Hearing Impaired

Being hearing impaired, both Apple Tv 1st and 2nd generations are capible of closed caption, they have setting for cc. However, Apple TV just does not transmit cc. If anyone has an idea or a way for it to work I would be grateful. I have a Tivo box and that displays CC with no problems

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
New to those countries.

I disagree..I don't think Apple would advertise it as the "All New Apple TV". Because, well, it's not the "ALL NEW". It would just be "Apple TV coming".

I have a strange feeling that this event is going to be a MONSTER. And having it on campus is just throwing us off a bit.

I don't think I've ever wanted a weekend to go by as fast as I want this one to. Bring on next week!

----------

Considering there were 3 years between Apple TV gen 1 and 2, and the current one being barely a year old, then I would say yes.

On a related note, I was rather disappointed when I finally bought my Apple TV yesterday - I had expected it to be quite a bit larger. Instead, it looks like it is cowering in the shadow of my amp :D

Why would you be disappointed that its got a small footprint. That's the beauty of it. Mine sits & fits perfectly next to my Paradigm CC-690 Center channel and compliments it perfectly.

I love my ATV! Just give me 1080P

Biscuit411

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm getting a 'streaming' box soon and am leaning toward the Roku. It seems to have many features not found on the aTV. However, let's see what Tuesday brings. My guess would be no aTV updates though. We'll see...

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
It might be a year old but it's still "all-new" to Apple...

View attachment 304164

http://www.apple.com/uk/appletv/

That's weird to call it the "ALL NEW" ATV. I think that's the wrong way to phrase it. Should just be "APPLE TV IS HERE" or something like that. It's not "ALL NEW" if it's been out for a year. I understand it's "NEW" to those countries, but as far as the product goes, it's not the "ALL NEW" unless the current version is updated...I guess:confused:

nelmat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Damn, I was really hoping for a 1080p version. This doesn't bode well.

For most of us there is no 1080 streaming content, and our ISPs would very much enjoy the over bandwidth charges the could levy on us for streaming it. Until the telco infrastructure is in place to support this, there is no point.

----------

Amazon video. Several premium channels. Plus from what I hear Roku handles streams better (a buddy of mine has a Roku and an aTV and says aTV always has to buffer when playing netflix, Roku never does.)

EDIT: Also Pandora, Rdio, etc etc

Thats about his internet connection. I rent a movie, normally 20 - 30 seconds later the movie is ready to play with no further delay or in movie buffering. And this is on a standard broadband service in the UK averaging 5 meg.

it's a great service, the number of movies available grows weekly, and once the networks stop blocking Apple, it'll be an amazing device. For now, it's simply great. All my iTunes content, all my mates iPods/iPhones/iPads streaming straight to it at parties, easy, instantaneous displaying of pictures, movies, music. And for less than £100. Stunning, and getting better every week. Only criticism is the price of some movie rentals, but it's worth the extra couple of pounds for the convenience of not having to go to blockbuster...

----------

Apple is bringing Europe out of the Dark Ages :D:D:D

Is it now? You mean Europe with better cellphone coverage, better data plans, unlimited bandwidth as pretty much standard for home broadband and the iPhone on a dozen+ carriers with decent competition and regulation? Along with the fact that the inventors of the computer and of the internet were both European.

Enjoy your ignorance.

tosui

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2008
"All new" vs. "New"?

Interesting little discrepancy: UK site lists it as "The All-New..." http://www.apple.com/uk/appletv/ whereas the Canadian site (where it's been available for a few years now) says "The New..." http://www.apple.com/ca/appletv/

It's probably nothing - not like Apple to pre announce a product like this. And the shipping times is "In Stock" (UK) or "1-3 days" (Cdn). So, it's likely the same product, although we'll know for sure next week!

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
That's weird to call it the "ALL NEW" ATV. I think that's the wrong way to phrase it. Should just be "APPLE TV IS HERE" or something like that. It's not "ALL NEW" if it's been out for a year. I understand it's "NEW" to those countries, but as far as the product goes, it's not the "ALL NEW" unless the current version is updated...I guess:confused:

It's not even new to the UK, it launched here last year and replaced the original Apple TV.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
Airplay is really that good. It brings a whole lot more value to the iDevices you already own.

Me too.

I can't help feeling that somehow Apple has "dropped the ball" on selling the AppleTV 2. The Apple Stores near me don't even seem to have a halfway decent display showing the product. Half the people working in the stores don't seem to understand the product.

Airplay is sometimes simply magical. A friend of mine, who happens to be a big Monty Python fan, was over the other day. And so, with my iPad tuned to the appropriate YouTube channel, we called up clip after clip from our favorite movies and shows. No - it wasn't 1080 high definition. But it was instant. It played on my 50" plasma TV. The sound played through my A/V amplifier. And somewhere along the way, I realized that this was the ultimate manifestation everything I'd ever wanted from computers, the internet, and television.

AppleTV is the difference between two or three people huddled around a laptop, and a group of friends roaring with laughter at the magic on a bigscreen TV.

Moccasin

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2011
Newcastle, UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

With the upcoming iCloud, I see opportunity for ATV to stream directly from that rather than from iTunes running locally. Would remove a barrier to uptake if you didn't need to have your mac running all the time.

One remote possibility I have considered is that the launch in these countries is a way of clearing stocks of ATV2 in advance of an upgrade. Seems odd that they should launch now.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

With the upcoming iCloud, I see opportunity for ATV to stream directly from that rather than from iTunes running locally. Would remove a barrier to uptake if you didn't need to have your mac running all the time.

One remote possibility I have considered is that the launch in these countries is a way of clearing stocks of ATV2 in advance of an upgrade. Seems odd that they should launch now.

Apple is already doing this with TV shows, so it's only a matter of time for Movies. I would guess contracts is the hold up on Movies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.