Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

itunes_10_5_beta_9.jpg

Just days before Apple's iPhone media event where the company is also expected to make the final public introduction of its iCloud services, Apple has seeded developers with the ninth beta version of iTunes 10.5. The release comes three weeks after Apple seeded the previous beta.

The beta 9 release is a required update for all developers testers of the company's forthcoming iTunes Match service, although the company continues to note several known issues with the release, including the following:

- "Scan and match" feature is not yet complete. Some users' tracks may not be recognized by iTunes Match even if the tracks are available in the iTunes Store, and those tracks will be uploaded to the users' iCloud storage. Some tracks may also be mis-matched to a different version of the same song on the iTunes Store.

- Music can only be added to iCloud from one computer at a time.

- Updating an iOS device to iOS 5 beta 7 may result in music failing to play. Users should turn off iTunes Match in settings and then turn it back on to restore functionality.

Apple continues to warn developers that their iCloud music libraries will be deleted at the end of the beta, so developers should be sure to maintain local copies of their music libraries.

Article Link: Apple Seeds iTunes 10.5 Beta 9 to Developers

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
- "Scan and match" feature is not yet complete. Some users' tracks may not be recognized by iTunes Match even if the tracks are available in the iTunes Store, and those tracks will be uploaded to the users' iCloud storage. Some tracks may also be mis-matched to a different version of the same song on the iTunes Store.

Ooof... STILL not ready for Primetime??

ksgant

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Chicago
Well, this kind of dashes my hopes that iOS 5 will come out next week. :(

EDIT: And yes, I figured it wouldn't be out...which is why I put "hopes" in my original post. Sheeh, downvote me because I showed a little disappointment why don't ya...

Last edited:

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
Heh. Well, at least there's comfort in knowing it'll likely be going public beta on Tuesday. With enough testers we can get the kinks worked out. ;)

Yeah well, I wouldn't define success as opening the gates to the public for them to upload gigs and gigs of unmatched tracks. Surely won't feel very "magical."

richard4339

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Illinois
I think that while iTunes Match will be built in to iOS 5.0 GM and iTunes 10.5, I think its still very likely that it will not be released with them if the service itself is not ready.

RichardBeer

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2009
England
I've noticed that when I try to import large quantities of music, iTunes locks up or begins playing songs whilst locked up, with no way of stopping it. I'd love to see that fixed.

FaustsHausUK

Contributor
Mar 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Yay! I filed a bug report about the matching issues and it looks like they're actively investigating.

I can't say much because of the NDA, but it really is gonna be a game-changing feature.

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
Yay! I filed a bug report about the matching issues and it looks like they're actively investigating.

I can't say much because of the NDA, but it really is gonna be a game-changing feature.

I hope so, because if I have to upload more than 20% of my library it will be dog slow.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003

So I wonder if there will be a beta with a "complete" version before the final release or if they'll just ship what they have. I guess that may depend on whether Match goes live along with iOS5 becoming available or if it's later.

Also, will they add a feature that allows users to select which songs are matched and uploaded? I'm sure I'm not the only one who has things that I just don't want in the cloud (much less taking up the space or wasting time uploading). Seems like a necessary feature but still no sign of it, doesn't make me optimistic.

And if they improve matching after release, will users be able to have songs swapped out from the upload versions to matched versions?

So how is this new update? How much has matching improved? And it was reported earlier that playlists can be synced through the cloud - are song ratings transferred? Customized ID tags or lyrics? When there are more than 25k songs in the library, how does it handle it (I believe in the previous it just refused to match anything)?

Can someone confirm that it actually does download upgraded files to the mac when the original is a lower bit rate?

This feature definitely interests me but only if the matching rate is VERY high. The last thing I want to do is pay the 25 bucks then have it only match a small fraction of my library and then tell me I can't use it unless I pay a lot more for a bunch of disk space.

iTunes match is already built into iOS5 beta 7.

True, but if Match isn't ready in time it's possible they could release a version of iTunes for iOS5 that has Match disabled (or have it turned off server side until it's ready).

richard4339

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Illinois
iTunes match is already built into iOS5 beta 7.

I worded my post badly. Gist of what I was getting at was that while the functionality will be there, they may keep the service locked out while polishing it up.

True, but if Match isn't ready in time it's possible they could release a version of iTunes for iOS5 that has Match disabled (or have it turned off server side until it's ready).

Or I could just point out what he said, which is what I was getting at.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.