Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has been rumored to be working on advanced speech recognition technology for some time.

After Apple's acquisition of Siri, TechCrunch reported in May that negotiations were ongoing with Nuance to integrate their speech recognition technology into iOS. Earlier this week, 9to5mac detailed much of what is expected to be the major new feature in the next generation iPhone to be release on October 4th. The story was met with some skepticism in our forums, but we were especially confident in the report as we had privately heard the exact same story from our sources.

The Siri/Nuance-based voice recognition Assistant will be the major new feature in the next generation iPhone and will be an iPhone 4S/5 exclusive feature. As detailed, the Assistant will allow users to speak to their iPhones in order to schedule appointments, send text messages, retrieve information and much more. Voice recognition happens on the fly and reportedly with great accuracy.

assistant.jpg

Assistant interface, artist rendition​
We've created this artist rendition (above) of what the Assistant interface looks like based on sources with knowledge of the feature. After a long press on the home button, the screen fades and slides up, just like with the multitasking interface. Revealed is a silver icon with an animated orbiting purple flare which indicates a ready state. From what we've been told, this image is a close representation of the actual Assistant interface.

From there, the user may be taken to a conversation view that somewhat mimics Siri's original interface, but in Apple's own styling.

Based on this knowledge, we contracted Jan-Michael Cart to put together a video representation of the Assistant workflow. Cart had been responsible for a number of iOS concept videos in the past, but we wanted to mock up what the actual Assistant interface looked like. Due to the short turnaround, we know that not all elements in the video represent actual look/feel of the Assistant interface, but should show off the general workflow.

After receiving spoken commands, the Assistant shows you back the recognized text and then takes the next step. This could involve sending a text message (with confirmation) or pulling data from Wolfram Alpha. The feature is said to be one of the major differentiators for the next generation iPhone.

Apple is hosting a media event on October 4th, where they will introduce the next iPhone and these new features.

Article Link: A Look at Apple's Assistant Interface for the New iPhone

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
Pretty cool! Would I use it? probably never, and no, I'm not just saying that because I have a iPhone 4. :apple:

texfire

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2007
Yea, it's cool but..
are people's lives quiet enough that this is useful frequently?
What about background noise?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
If you activate it by holding down the home button, how will you rearrange your apps?

by long pressing on the app icon as usual. :)

long press home button is already occupied by voice control.

arn

FriarNurgle

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
I'm sorry Dave, I can't find anymore boob pictures on the internet. You seem to have seen them all.

tatical

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2009
This is a great feature, having it stock just like Android is a good move for Apple's iOS.

Tabris82

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2010
Manchester CT
If it is a rendering of an iPhone why does it have the 'Music' icon? Isn't that for iPod Touch?:confused:

-Understood! Thanks for the info f00f!

Last edited:

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
This is what MacRumors needs. More original investigatory articles. Here's looking to October 4th.

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
Having a dedicated Assistant UI seems.... clunky.

Hypothetically speaking:
So I send a txt to Scott via the Ass.UI.
He sends one back that I then read in the Messages App (or would Ass.UI read it back?)
If I want to reply via voice-to-text, I have to go back to the Ass.UI?

Also having to "long-press" anything to initiate this kinda kills any hopes of being truly hands-free.

Yes, yes. "artist's rendition". More like artist's comedy.

Tuesday will be Truthday. In iPhone Land anyway. ;)

----------

If it is a rendering of an iPhone why does it have the 'Music' icon? Isn't that for iPod Touch?:confused:

Because the iPod app was split into "Music" and "Videos" in iOS 5.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Have they solved the problem of feeling like a complete idiot when you use these sort of interfaces?

I imagine you would use it in a vehicle where you are either alone or you know your passengers.

Example:

"Navigate to 1234 Bakka Lakka Dakka Street"

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas

liavman

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
Whether it turns out to be true not or exactly like this or not, the effort put into this is much appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.