Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raviadso

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2011
Looks great.

Apple likes the big gambles-- loves inventing completely new devices and making previously failed technology viable/successful.

They've failed a lot, but this could be HUGE. Tablets and ipods huge. First you get the technology that works, then you get the behavior that changes to adapt to it. If its good enough it could begin a change in behavior similar to the introduction of the cellphone in public.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
I think this would be pretty cool. Driving and texting is no longer a problem. I think I would use it a lot, but not in public.

brookshanes

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2011
Midwest
Why does NOBODY realize this is for driving?

The use for this SDK is obviously for when you're behind the steering wheel and cannot type an email or find directions. In those circumstances you look like a dummy typing on your phone, not talking to it.

theperipheral

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
Looks great.

Apple likes the big gambles-- loves inventing completely new devices and making previously failed technology viable/successful.

They've failed a lot, but this could be HUGE. Tablets and ipods huge. First you get the technology that works, then you get the behavior that changes to adapt to it. If its good enough it could begin a change in behavior similar to the introduction of the cellphone in public.

The problem with it is that if you want to send a text or an e-mail, many times I would imagine the person sending it doesn't want their neighbor on the train, or the person in line behind them at McDonald's to get in on their personal stuff. Any voice stuff is really only good for alone time.

Plus, if you're sitting there having a text conversation, what's the point of not just calling the person you're texting and having a normal human conversation?

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
I thought if you just put it up to the ear then it'll start recognizing commands?

"Hi Rachel, this is Consultant, I was just calling you to let you know that you should call Bob..."

Call Bob. Work or mobile

"No, don't call...err I mean, sorry Rachel. Well here, I have the number on my phone, let me just get Bob's information..."

Get information on Bob

*breaks phone*

grimmace

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2003
Boston
coming to iPhone 4 as well?

Hopefully this will be for the iphone 4 as well.. Otherwise we will all have to continue texting while driving.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thing is, it would have to be really REALLY accurate. It only has to screw up a few words to be effectively useless. given that the current voice recognition is often waaay off, I'm pretty skeptical. But then again, I'd buy the new one just for the better processor/RAM/battery/camera, so this is just icing (if it works well).

dantiston

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2010
I have a feeling that this rendering is way cooler than Apple's interface will be. Yet, apple's will work better. I wish we could have the best of both worlds.

locust76

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2009
I think this would be pretty cool. Driving and texting is no longer a problem. I think I would use it a lot, but not in public.

You're assuming the voice recognition actually works with such precision that you won't have to sit there repeating the same phrase over and over again and then eventually retyping your text message anyways, all while speeding down the road at 75mph

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Voice dialing already works really well for me. The irony is that I rarely use it. I find it just as quick to tap my favorites and speed-dial them that way. But I do like the possibility of speaking long search strings. That could save quite a bit of time.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

locust76 said:

You're assuming the voice recognition actually works with such precision that you won't have to sit there repeating the same phrase over and over again and then eventually retyping your text message anyways, all while speeding down the road at 75mph

Exactly. It needs to be *extremely* accurate or it's more trouble than it's worth. Like 99% accurate. I doubt that'll happen.

ryanmcv

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I'll admit, this is an awesome feature. But like others have said, I can only really see myself using this when I'm alone in my car or at home. There's no way in hell I'm going to start talking to my phone in public so everyone can hear the texts and emails I'm sending. Hopefully this won't be the only "new" feature of the next iPhone.

majortom1981

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2010
hmm

I am guessing i am the only one who finds this usefull if you are driving. I always wanted to be able to speak a text hand have it send while i am driving. Nothing long just things like "sorry traffic home late" and things like that

here in NY its illegal to text and drive so this is better then not being able to send the text at all.

notsofatjames

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Wales, UK
Voice dialing already works really well for me. The irony is that I rarely use it. I find it just as quick to tap my favorites and speed-dial them that way. But I do like the possibility of speaking long search strings. That could save quite a bit of time.

it is far easier for dialling to just select from your favourites lists- but when driving asking for directions, or asking to have your latest text/email read aloud and being able to speak a reply will be great for those road warriors who spend more time driving than they have to stop to reply to emails texts etc.

And also if you find yourself calling more than 8 people, the favourites list becomes kind of redundant, then I could imagine voice dialling to be much more useful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.