Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone_oct4_event_invite1.jpg

After following some of the comment threads on the latest stories about the new iPhones, it seems clear there's a lot of confusion about what is coming on Tuesday. The combination of Apple code numbers and natural use of the term "iPhone 5" has led to a lot of confusion about what to expect.

Here's a breakdown of all the current rumors about what could possibly be coming out on October 4th.

iPhone 4 (N90A)
- The iPhone 4 but with reduced storage capacity (8GB)
- Otherwise identical to iPhone 4
- Will replace the iPhone 3GS which presently sells for $49 with contract.

iPhone 4S (N94)
- iPhone 4 case design (3.5" Screen), but improved internals
- CDMA and GSM in one phone, "World Phone"
- HSPA+ (at least 14.4mbps)
- 1GB RAM
- A5 Processor
- SGX 543MP2 GPU (Same as iPad 2)
- Assistant Voice Recognition

iPhone 5 (N??)
- Tapered case design (mockup)
- ~4" Screen
- Presumably same specs as iPhone 4S (see above)

The source of much of the confusion is the natural use of the term "iPhone 5" to simply refer to the next-generation iPhone that Apple will be launching on October 4th.

Several retailers and carriers are beginning to list "iPhone 5" on their websites, which some readers seem to take this as evidence for a redesigned iPhone. Those companies' use of the term "iPhone 5" is not referring to any particular design (tapered or otherwise) but are simply placeholders. They are simply using the term "iPhone 5" as an naturally descriptive term to mean "the iPhone that comes after the iPhone 4".

One reader confirms these suspicions:
Its a place holder in their logistics and inventory system. Friend of mine works for a large international carrier in managerial level and has no idea what's coming. They only know it's the new iPhone but that's the far as it goes. These are the same guys who are responsible for day to day operations so that explains why you have something like iPhone 5 in the inventory lists as a placeholder. You have to be a top executive have real knowledge of future iPhones and those guys have nothing to do with these lists.
The most recent rumors suggest that the iPhone 4 will become the low end iPhone, while the "iPhone 4S" will become the top of the line. There has been no evidence that the tapered iPhone 5 design is actually in production.

Article Link: A Breakdown of Tuesday's Possible iPhone Releases

Last edited by a moderator:

otissmithd

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

Problem is some people have reported that the A5 is necessary to use apples new assistant feature (due to processing demands). Would they rerelease the iPhone 4 when it couldn't run one of the key iOS features since it only has the A4. Has apple ever sold an iPhone model that couldn't take full advantage of the iOS software? Would they rerelease a 16 month old phone for another 12 months only with reduced storage?

There were proven references to 4S in the iTunes beta, what about the iPhone 5 references in radioshack's database and all the case leaks?

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; es-es) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

If there is a new iPhone 5, it must be the best keep secret

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

There were proven references to 4S in the iTunes beta, what about the iPhone 5 references in radioshack's database and all the case leaks?

Read the entire post to see why the "iPhone 5" Radio Shack references don't mean anything.

arn

samsandy

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2011
New Zealand
Ya, I left that out on purpose. that's one that's more conflicted. I'd guess 8MP camera in N94.

arn

I really hope they have an 8MP camera because most new phones have a least 8MP if not more. Look at the Nokia N8 that has a 12MP camera. 5MP is getting a bit out dated.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Has apple ever sold an iPhone model that couldn't take full advantage of the iOS software?

The 3GS can't do FaceTime, obviously. Assistant might be this years' FaceTime.

I really hope they have an 8MP camera because most new phones have a least 8MP if not more. Look at the Nokia N8 that has a 12MP camera. 5MP is getting a bit out dated.

The sensor is what makes the camera, not the megapixel count. If you increase the megapixels without including a better sensor, the picture quality will be worse. I would rather they kept the 5 MP count and just improve the sensor.

Beatbeckham

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Norway
To be very honest, I'm gonna be TOTALLY dissapointed with Apple if they don't release the iPhone 5. I've waiting to buy a new phone since June. No iPhone 5 = Samsung Galaxy S2 or Nexus Prime for me. Don't care about how many thumbs down you gonna give me.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009

You should probably mention the different rumored screen sizes too.

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

samsandy said:

I hope they don't fall into the trap of thinking increasing camera MP = better camera, as we know from digital photography that that is not true.
It's the quality of the sensor that matters, not the pixel count.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Two things.

What source do we have on the 1 GB of RAM for 4S.

Also, what evidence do we have at all that a case redesign is in production? The story says little, but I think it's nothing but indirect evidence.

Side note: what happened to 4,1 4,2 and 4,3 references in itunes?

Forgot to add: why is CDMA iPhone 4 listed under iPhone 4S in beta? That suggests something different.

Last edited:

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Also, what evidence do we have at all that a case redesign is in production? The story says little, but I think it's nothing but indirect evidence.

Nothing, just the case leaks and the Photostream icon that matches the cases.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Two things.

What source do we have on the 1 GB of RAM for 4S.

There's no evidence of production actually. I guess I should be more blunt.

You should probably mention the different rumored screen sizes too.

Right, added that.

arn

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
Nice post! It's great to get a round-up of what to expect before the event!

I posted this elsewhere in the forums but i'll repeat..

I've accepted the following situations:

1) only an iPhone 5
2) only an iPhone 4S
3) iPhone 5 and iPhone 4S

I still believe that the iPhone 5 will be the 1 new iPhone, and the iPhone 4S will be a bumped up iPhone 4 for the pre-paid markets. So yes, i'm pulling for two iPhones.

So if the iPhone 5 design ends up being the iPhone 6's then so be it, i'll be disappointed but coming from an iPhone 3G i'll take it. Probably will sell the iPhone 4S for the next iPhone anyway.
Really looking forward to Assistant and rest of iOS 5.

Question, if all this is true, are we expecting phenomenal battery life due to the Dual Core processor?

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Won't it be great if there is a phone unveiled on Tuesday, that is completely surprising, with styling and features that no-one has predicted?!
Something innovative and market-leading, that does something new.
Wow, that would be good........

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Also, even if we get a iPhone 4 with better internals, I hope Apple calls it the iPhone 5 and we can avoid the number confusion game.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I believe on Tuesday we will see the N94 as the newest iphone and the N90a replacing the 3GS.

I think the teardrop form factor will never happen and I think the existence of a larger screen would have likely given up the existence of a real iPhone 5. Many people have astutely noted between the late Verizon iPhone 4 launch and a possible l
Lte iPhone 5 in 2012 this makes the most sense. The presentation will focus on both the substantially upgraded hardware for the 4s or whatever designation it gets and iOS 5.

An 8 gig iPhone 4 for 49 would be an absolutely killer low end device. This is one of the reasons why I think a newly designed low end device will not happen. It is not necessary.

Apple may have the top 3 selling smartphones of 2011 if the 4s has a big quarter. They could also dominate 2012 with the 4, 4s and 5 and take the top three spots two years in a row.

darbus69

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009

fact: IP4 is best phone on the market.
fact: iOS is best smartphone on the market.
fact: despite the first 2 facts unless apple comes out with a sexier design, which included a slightly larger screen the iPhone will lose market share to android phones, no matter what improvements are made in iOS5. My phone is my computer, even though I own 2 iPads I spend more time on my phone than any other internet device (FYI, I would never buy an android phone, but all apple fanatics need the platform to grow, keeping our technology of choice ahead of the curve.
NO redesigned iPhone is a fail, period.

lantinian

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2011
Varna, Bulgaria

I think Apple is being very practical in bringing out new hardware every year but a new design every 2 years.

It makes sence for sustaining production trough the switch.

It allows enough time to roll out the same phone everywhere.

It builds up the hardware ecosystem around the current design.

It allows for the last years model to be brought down to a lower price faster, since it takes advantage of new model' economy of scale

It allows Apple to clear any imperfections of the iPhone 4 model and clear the memory of Anthenagate and white model delays.

Who knows, maybe Apple now prefers to launch new stuff in the spring, allowingnit enough time to roll out everywhere and only have a hardware refresh in the Fall.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

darbus69 said:

fact: IP4 is best phone on the market.
fact: iOS is best smartphone on the market.
fact: despite the first 2 facts unless apple comes out with a sexier design, which included a slightly larger screen the iPhone will lose market share to android phones, no matter what improvements are made in iOS5. My phone is my computer, even though I own 2 iPads I spend more time on my phone than any other internet device (FYI, I would never buy an android phone, but all apple fanatics need the platform to grow, keeping our technology of choice ahead of the curve.
NO redesigned iPhone is a fail, period.

Why not a 6.5" screen then?

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
To be very honest, I'm gonna be TOTALLY dissapointed with Apple if they don't release the iPhone 5. I've waiting to buy a new phone since June. No iPhone 5 = Samsung Galaxy S2 or Nexus Prime for me. Don't care about how many thumbs down you gonna give me.

That reminds me of all those people who get mad that the latest MP, MBP or iMac doesn't have x GPU or y CPU or whatever. People get hung up on specs in that game when it isn't the end all be all, but that comes from being part of the PC race for so long.

If you are making your buying decision on specs vs. system, then you probably shouldn't be buying an iPhone at all, even ever. Not a fan boy who thinks Apple can do wrong, by no means, but you are either an iPhone user or someone willing to use any POS on the market. Enjoy the Samsung, and prepare to be disappointed even if you're not, as I suspect you may even get lucky and get some of what you ask for but not everything and then the moaning begins.

AIP5

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011

I'm thinking the same thing, too. There's a reason I didn't get the 4: I didn't really like the flat back in the design.

But Arn, our bet is still on. I'm still thinking that Apple this year tightened down all their security (including sending people to raid other people's houses), and has made sure that no leaks ever pass by.

I'm still sticking to my theory, that if there was no iPhone 5, then Apple would have used legit news sources like The Loop and AllthingsD to tame down these wild expectations about the legendary iPhone 5. I still see all of this as deliberate spread of information/rumors on Apple's part to keep the iPhone 5 this year's biggest, and best surprise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.