Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
But Arn, our bet is still on. I'm still thinking that Apple this year tightened down all their security (including sending people to raid other people's houses), and has made sure that no leaks ever pass by.

Alright, it's on! :)

arn

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I believe on Tuesday we will see the N94 as the newest iphone and the N90a replacing the 3GS.

I think the teardrop form factor will never happen and I think the existence of a larger screen would have likely given up the existence of a real iPhone 5. Many people have astutely noted between the late Verizon iPhone 4 launch and a possible l
Lte iPhone 5 in 2012 this makes the most sense. The presentation will focus on both the substantially upgraded hardware for the 4s or whatever designation it gets and iOS 5.

An 8 gig iPhone 4 for 49 would be an absolutely killer low end device. This is one of the reasons why I think a newly designed low end device will not happen. It is not necessary.

Apple may have the top 3 selling smartphones of 2011 if the 4s has a big quarter. They could also dominate 2012 with the 4, 4s and 5 and take the top three spots two years in a row.

Your logic is sound however I disagree.

on tuesday apple will reveal the iPhone 5

----------

arn

I am betting with AIP5

AIP5

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011

arn

Okay, so just curious about this, as I'm new to this rumor industry. But were there specific leaks about the production for iPhone 4, or iPad 2? Not part leaks, mind you, but tell-tale signs that there is production of those new devices going on?

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
This has been quite a confusing past few months. I'm known by my family and friends as the 'Apple guy,' and I cannot wait until Tuesday comes so I can stop telling them that I truly have no idea what will be coming out soon!

Here's a different thought I just dawned upon:

Obviously after last years incidents, Apple must have taken a lot of preventative measures in order to not have a repeat of last year.

With that in mind, the Cava 22 incident was obviously taken very seriously by Apple, with getting the PD involved as well as sending their high profile security officers. Would Apple do this for any lost iPhone prototype? Most likely. Would Apple be more likely to do this for a radically different iPhone 5 (different design, bigger screen, etc.) versus an iPhone 4S (same case, faster processor, more RAM, better camera, basically things that are indiscernible without dissembling the phone)? Most definitely.

Just something to think about.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Okay, so just curious about this, as I'm new to this rumor industry. But were there specific leaks about the production for iPhone 4, or iPad 2? Not part leaks, mind you, but tell-tale signs that there is production of those new devices going on?

Part leaks are some of the signs that things have shifted into production.

iPhone 4 was a special case since Gizmodo leaked the entire device. Parts were uninteresting and probably went unreported, since we'd seen the whole device.

arn

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
I mentioned this in another thread but didn't get any possible explanations. Why is Apple calling the next phone the iPhone 4S? Why don't they call it the iPhone 5?

AIP5

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
With that in mind, the Cava 22 incident was obviously taken very seriously by Apple, with getting the PD involved as well as sending their high profile security officers. Would Apple do this for any lost iPhone prototype? Probably. Would Apple be more likely to do this for a radically different iPhone 5 (different design, bigger screen, etc.) versus an iPhone 4S (same case, faster processor, more RAM, better camera, basically things that are indiscernible without dissembling the phone)? Most definitely.

Just something to think about.

Exactly. I had the same suspicion. Apple really went over the top by raiding the guy's house... and all for what? An iPhone 4S that looks like the CDMA iPhone 4? Probably not.

However, playing the devil's advocate here: if it was indeed a redesigned iPhone, why have no pictures shown up? That's making me wonder that it was just an iPhone 4 like device that could have fooled anyone who picks it up into thinking it's just another iPhone 4.

You think Apple could have tracked the iPhone 5 to wherever it was shipped to from craigslist, and retrieved it? I wouldn't say that thought is too far out.

JAFO

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2011
I love all the comments from iPhone 4 users saying they've been waiting so long for the next iPhone. I bought the 3GS the week it came out and I've been waiting a lot longer than you folks for the iPhone 4 successor.

For me the iPhone 4S or 5 will be a massive upgrade. I'd prefer it be the 5 but if it's just a 4S it will still be an insane upgrade over what I've got.

That being said, Apple will only be playing catch up with other products, coming out with something just as good as what's out there, and not surpass the specs of other phones. I think that would be a mistake. They want to be the leaders, not the ones playing catch up. It'll still be a successful phone either way. Only a tiny percentage of people (lots of them readers here) that will give up on Apple if they don't release a new design.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I mentioned this in another thread but didn't get any possible explanations. Why is Apple calling the next phone the iPhone 4S? Why don't they call it the iPhone 5?

Because it looks like an iPhone 4? It's the iPhone 4 design but faster. Like the 3G and 3GS.

arn

Bistroengine

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2004
Just a thought

Has anyone considered that the leaked prototype design for the 'iPhone 5' might actually be the new larger redesigned iPod Touch instead? If this is the case I would find it disappointing that the iPod Touch got a larger screen before the next iPhone. My gut feeling says that's exactly what will happen.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD

iPhone 4 was a special case since Gizmodo leaked the entire device. Parts were uninteresting and probably went unreported, since we'd seen the whole device.

arn

We also saw it leaked in Vietnam with the screen test image displayed before launch.

Has anyone considered that the leaked prototype design for the 'iPhone 5' might actually be the new larger redesigned iPod Touch instead? If this is the case I would find it disappointing that the iPod Touch got a larger screen before the next iPhone. My gut feeling says that's exactly what will happen.

Why in the world would they do that?

AIP5

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011

arn

I dunno Arn, but if it's part leaks that we're basing the production theory on, then not very convincing. ;)

Okay, what about this: I remember there was a post on MR about a leaked "iPhone 5" camera (without LED light). If I recall correctly, the camera had a circle around it that was made out of an Aluminum-like metal material. Or at least so it appeared. Many comments were made on it, but I'm not sure if we concluded anything about it.

Edit: here's that article: https://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/2...ack-camera-and-audio-flex-cable-parts-leaked/

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
Did any iPad 2 parts leak beforehand? I know that the case design was known well before the release but I can't recall much else.

AIP5

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
By the way, Arn, you mind if I make a poll in the Forums to see which way the MR community is siding on? :)

Tuesday just won't come fast enough!

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
Also, even if we get a iPhone 4 with better internals, I hope Apple calls it the iPhone 5 and we can avoid the number confusion game.

But if they call it the iPhone 5 even though it's really the 4S, how will I know whether or not to be enraged about the fact that they didn't release the real iPhone 5 like they said they would by not saying anything about it at all? I don't want to be left behind in the post-event Macrumors chaos!

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
Did any iPad 2 parts leak beforehand? I know that the case design was known well before the release but I can't recall much else.

No. The only actual leaks were related to iOS (FaceTime, 2 cameras, Photobooth).

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
No. The only actual leaks were related to iOS (FaceTime, 2 cameras, Photobooth).

Indeed, I just went through the news archives and the only evidence of a redesign was the cases and physical mockups done by case manufacturers. However, there was never this much confusion as there is now, but I can only hope Apple is trying to mess with us, though I truly doubt it.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

AIP5 said:

arn

I dunno Arn, but if it's part leaks that we're basing the production theory on, then not very convincing. ;)

Okay, what about this: I remember there was a post on MR about a leaked "iPhone 5" camera (without LED light). If I recall correctly, the camera had a circle around it that was made out of an Aluminum-like metal material. Or at least so it appeared. Many comments were made on it, but I'm not sure if we concluded anything about it.

Edit: here's that article: https://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/2...ack-camera-and-audio-flex-cable-parts-leaked/

I think there is no chance a larger display would have been developed and prepared for production without several strong rumors about it's existence.

Of all the pieces that would be the most difficult to hide that would be the one and I don't recall any even semi reliable rumors a out larger displays being tested, prepared, ordered or manufactured. Given the number of devices they would be ramping up to make they could not hide the development of 15 million 4" screens where none were needed before.

Rend It

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2003
United States
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Arn,

We don't yet have evidence for this (waiting for N90AAP to show up in iTunes beta), but has anyone considered that the slightly redesigned iPhone 4 may also become a world phone (CDMA + HSPA)? To me, if they're reducing the amount of storage to 8GB, and the Verizon phone already has a multiple-mode baseband chip, there's nothing really stopping them from making the low-end iP4 world mode. Well, nothing except demands of the carriers. It would seem a silly thing to continue separate phones for CDMA and HSPA.

AIP5

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
I think there is no chance a larger display would have been developed and prepared for production without several strong rumors about it's existence.

Of all the pieces that would be the most difficult to hide that would be the one and I don't recall any even semi reliable rumors a out larger displays being tested, prepared, ordered or manufactured. Given the number of devices they would be ramping up to make they could not hide the development of 15 million 4" screens where none were needed before.

This is true. I would have also expected some different screen size leaks. But, given how badly the iPhone 4 security was managed (apart from the chance Gizmodo finding, there was the iPhone 4 prototype in Vietnam, and random iPhone 4 prototypes on sale on Ebay), you'd think that Apple learned from its mistakes and patched all those security holes.

I dunno. I know I'm trying to rationalize my way out of this, but in the end of the day, I find myself coming back to my theory about why Apple didn't use "rumors" to quell down these iPhone 5 expectations. And for that, no one seems to be able to find an answer.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
To be very honest, I'm gonna be TOTALLY dissapointed with Apple if they don't release the iPhone 5. I've waiting to buy a new phone since June. No iPhone 5 = Samsung Galaxy S2 or Nexus Prime for me. Don't care about how many thumbs down you gonna give me.

Is it the rumored mock-up shape you want? Or new hardware features? Or the name?

One of the three you can have, and it’s the one that matters :)

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
This is true. I would have also expected some different screen size leaks. But, given how badly the iPhone 4 security was managed (apart from the chance Gizmodo finding, there was the iPhone 4 prototype in Vietnam, and random iPhone 4 prototypes on sale on Ebay), you'd think that Apple learned from its mistakes and patched all those security holes.

I dunno. I know I'm trying to rationalize my way out of this, but in the end of the day, I find myself coming back to my theory about why Apple didn't use "rumors" to quell down these iPhone 5 expectations. And for that, no one seems to be able to find an answer.

This is an interesting theory that I am somewhat behind. I don't understand why Apple isn't doing this if an iPhone 5 isn't going to be announced because there will likely be a massive backlash online that may overshadow the announcement.

Feltzem

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

But the iPhone 4 is still the best looking smartphone, by a long shot. I actually hope they keep the same design rather than go for a more iPod touch-like tapered one.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
This is an interesting theory that I am somewhat behind. I don't understand why Apple isn't doing this if an iPhone 5 isn't going to be announced because there will likely be a massive backlash online that may overshadow the announcement.

Apple never comments on rumors, because it would be a dangerous precedent for them to set. What happens if this one time they say no, the iPhone 5 is not real? Then every time they don't deny a rumor, it somehow gains credibility.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.