Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I love that I can send out a mass text message, say to like 8 friends announcing... "Beach bonfire, 7pm, Pier 14"

But am not a fan of the fact that when any one person replies to me, it send their SMS message "Awesome! See You There!" to all 8 people I originally messaged.

Any way to circumvent this?

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
I love that I can send out a mass text message, say to like 8 friends announcing... "Beach bonfire, 7pm, Pier 14"

But am not a fan of the fact that when any one person replies to me, it send their SMS message "Awesome! See You There!" to all 8 people I originally messaged.

Any way to circumvent this?

i didn't know it did this, when i send a mass text out, only i get the reply to me as a seperate text outside of the group one i sent, or am i missing something?!

Squid7085

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2002
Charlotte, NC
It is in the Settings App under "Messaging." Group Messaging toggle to off. "Group Messaging" as Apple defines it creates a thread similar to a chat room, which can be useful when setting up an event or something, having everybody part of the conversation. However, if you just want to send out individual messages en mass, then turn that feature off.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's only present if your network supports it. Most do not so you can send a group message but replies will come back outside of that txt from people!

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
It is in the Settings App under "Messaging." Group Messaging toggle to off. "Group Messaging" as Apple defines it creates a thread similar to a chat room, which can be useful when setting up an event or something, having everybody part of the conversation. However, if you just want to send out individual messages en mass, then turn that feature off.

Ah right, i don't have that in my messaging section.

Ke1ington

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2009
I'm on AT&T and this happened to me recently. A buddy sent a video out to several people, including me. When I replied that it wasn't working for me I started getting texts (who is this?, ???, etc.) from other people the video had gone to.

So turning off Group Messaging prevents this?

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
I'm on AT&T and this happened to me recently. A buddy sent a video out to several people, including me. When I replied that it wasn't working for me I started getting texts (who is this?, ???, etc.) from other people the video had gone to.

So turning off Group Messaging prevents this?

It only recently started happening to me as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.