Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AnthonyHarris

Cancelled
Jun 4, 2009
Cambridge, England
Possibly.
Interesting decision to have the 'iPhones' rendered in different colors though.

While it sounds like a big device. It's really not.
If I didn't have a real one next to it, I wouldn't have picked that it was any larger.

iPhone 2G for scale.

Looks like the same footprint of the iPhone 4 to me. Maybe we will see an edge to edge display (much like the first iPhone) but to the dimensions of iPhone 4's current antenna 'band'.

IMO That is what this image seems to be depicting. It STILL doesn't mean a complete overhaul in design though. I doubt a slimmer 'tapered' form factor is even possible unless the footprint grows in size, because the iPhone 4's tech is packed quite tightly as it is... AND as someone quite rightly pointed out to me once before, if it gets much slimmer, they won't have the room for a decent camera sensor.

Tonewheel

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

I hope there is no iPhone 5, so I never have to see any of these fugly cases!

msb3079

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
collingswood. nj
Looks like the same footprint of the iPhone 4 to me. Maybe we will see an edge to edge display (much like the first iPhone) but to the dimensions of iPhone 4's current antenna 'band'.

IMO That is what this image seems to be depicting. It STILL doesn't mean a complete overhaul in design though. I doubt a slimmer 'tapered' form factor is even possible unless the footprint grows in size, because the iPhone 4's tech is packed quite tightly as it is... AND as someone quite rightly pointed out to me once before, if it gets much slimmer, they won't have the room for a decent camera sensor.

How was the first iPhone "edge to edge"? It had more gaps than the current one.

Jared1990

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Maybe this is a new iPod touch... Larger replacing the iPod classic.

Peterg2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I'll repeat what I have said earlier, the iphone 4S will be announced today and the iphone 5 will *also* be announced today but availability (at least widespread) of the latter will be in Q1 2012. One rumour which I personally gave credence to was that stated a few months ago that there were design and manufacturing issues with the 5.

cheeseplane

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

This ain't gonna happen as far as I'm concerned. An edge to edge screen with the current dimensions (or slightly bigger) is my bet. >4" phones aren't comfortable to hold with one hand.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'd wager $100 on iPhone 4S only, plus an 8GB iPhone 4 if I was a betting man. No way there would be that little info leaked about iPhone 5. We'd have gotten more info, and there wouldn't just be one case manufacturer making cases that fit. Of course, I could be eating my words in about three and. Half hours. :)

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
Three different sources justified making this case? If they are off my 1/10th of an inch it's all just useless plastic bits. Makes no sense to me why they'd do this. My gut says they know.

Adidas Addict

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
England
signbot-1.gif

signbot-1.gif

signbot-1.gif

signbot-1.gif

smotheredhope

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Sweet!!! Only a couple hours till the horrible let down.

dexthageek

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2007
Wow, I have a feeling all these case manufacturers are going to be out of quite a bit of money.

crazy4apple

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2010
London (UK)
Apple the masters of secrecy

one things for sure Apple have definately bluffed this hand, the will they won't they produce a bigger screen iphone has definately intrigued the media, analysts, tech geeks, nerds and consumers and even the most die hard apple fans

like me lol :D well done apple. 1 things for sure media event today is going to be off the hook :)

nitro230

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2008
I'm currently a 3G'er and i'm a big fan of the iPhone 4 design and initally all I wanted was a bumped up iPhone 4 spec for the up and coming iPhone 4s/5.

BUT with all these rumours over the past few months i'm suddenly having a feeling that I'm going to be disaapointed if we DON'T see a re-design....

Anyway it's 10.30am here in the UK and in approx 7 and 1/2 hours I don't know how I will feel about whats unveiled :confused:

This is exactly how I feel. Back in May I was all set for an iPhone 4 looking device with with upgraded internals to come out in June/July and was fully content with that. Now that the wait time has increased drastically and with all the rumors of a new design with a bigger screen I feel like I am going to be extremely disappointed/pissed off if all they come out with is a 4s and even though I know I will end up getting it anyway, it is starting to make me doubt my choice and want to look at the new galaxy s2 of windows phones instead.

I feel that if having the new iPhone come out in oct instead of the usual june/july timeline was solely to get more holiday sales than doing it now (assuming it is only a 4s) is a huge mistake. Im sure a lot more people who were completely fine with a 4s device back in may/june will be very disappointed today if no redesigned iPhone 5 comes out.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
I'll repeat what I have said earlier, the iphone 4S will be announced today and the iphone 5 will *also* be announced today but availability (at least widespread) of the latter will be in Q1 2012.

That would be a fantastic plan if Apple wanted to sell exactly 0 iPhone 4S's.

tripjammer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
I will say this one more time...There will be an redesigned Iphone 5!

We will see it in less than 4 hours!

Steve Jobs will be there to.

Apple Stock is gonna go through the roof!

The 64gb version is gonna be $299!

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Has there ever been an iPhone/iPod release where case manufacturers ended up making them for a model that wasn't released?

It's weird, it sure looks like a feature bump today and no new design but if that's what happens there will be a lot of cases going into landfills. Do the case companies have the inside scoop on an otherwise well-kept secret, or did they all just make a wild guess this time around and blow it?

ARM1968

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Tick toxk

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.