Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPod_nano_Hero_PRINT-500x300.jpg

Apple announced updates to the iPod nano today with user interface changes to improve navigation and 16 clock faces to facilitate its use as a watch. Its fitness features have also improved with Nike+ compatibility out of the box with no requirement for additional accessories to track walks and runs.

The nano's interface now sports larger icons for easier navigation. The new clock faces include a range of designs, including one mimicking an analog Mickey Mouse watch to classic digital and Roman numeral designs.

Nike+ compatibility for tracking walks and runs no longer requires a dongle that was part of an accessory kit sold separately. The updated nano is now capable of tracking distance traveled, pace, time and more out of the box.

The updated nano will cost $129 for the 8GB model and $149 for the 16GB model, down from $149 and $179, respectively. Both are available starting today. The available colors for both capacities are silver, graphite, blue, green, orange, pink, and red.

Article Link: iPod Nano Updated, Price Reduced

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
They missed back-to-school season but this is in plenty of time for the holiday shopping season.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
I'm wondering if the Nike+ thing means that the nano has a pedometer built into it? I was hoping it meant it had GPS built in, but I'm guessing not.

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
Will last year's nano at least get the software update for the watches? :(

Thanatoast

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2002
Denver
If Nike+ worked by counting your strides, how is this supposed to work in the nano? People won't be wearing this on their shoes... Am I being a dimwit? I don't know enough about runners/pedometers/"being outside".

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I'm wondering if the Nike+ thing means that the nano has a pedometer built into it? I was hoping it meant it had GPS built in, but I'm guessing not.

If Nike+ worked by counting your strides, how is this supposed to work in the nano? People won't be wearing this on their shoes... Am I being a dimwit? I don't know enough about runners/pedometers/"being outside".

The nano 6G has a built in pedometer that counts your strides. Nike+ is not a pedometer. The nano 7G has the pedometer as well, but the Nike+ receiver is built-in.

Here's how the Nike+ system works. You have a sensor/transmitter in your shoe. I can determine the arc that your foot travels along and calculate your stride distance. It will also time the duration between strides and can calculate your speed.

Previous nano's required a receiver to be plugged in. The new nano doesn't need this dongle. All you need is the $20 sensor strapped to your sneaks.

ft

Edit - Just read the updated nano website ... it's quite confusing in regards to Nike+. They make no mention of a built-in receiver. In fact, they also mention that no shoe sensor is required. I guess it's all done with the accelerometer, but that doesn't explain why they couldn't also do it this way for the 6G nano.

Last edited:

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
No capacity update for 4 years in a row could give two-***** less about this model as I already have last years model.

black743

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2010
Huntington, WV
It sounded like they were releasing an update to the current Nano today....is that not what they're doing?

Not sure why they would have different UIs when its not a major refresh.

ayale99

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2007
Nike + is the Nano update is was looking for! Woohoo!
Sure beats not getting a redesigned phone.

The GPS feature would be nice to track your maps on Nike +

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
i like the current design and it does say they added some new clock faces, now if you could create your own nano apps.. that would be cool :D

parkds

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2003
The nano 6G has a built in pedometer that counts your strides. Nike+ is not a pedometer. The nano 7G has the pedometer as well, but the Nike+ receiver is built-in.
Previous nano's required a receiver to be plugged in. The new nano doesn't need this dongle. All you need is the $20 sensor strapped to your sneaks.

I was hoping that like you said, the receiver wouldn't be required any longer, but looking at the website it says no receiver and no sensor, so I am very confused how this can be accurate. Also what about the nike+ heart rate monitor?

From the Apple site:
There’s no need to connect a receiver or use a shoe sensor to track your steps, distance, pace, and time.

TiMacLover

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2001
Clovis, CA USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

anyone else notice it says iPad nano on the first line of the story?

holy jeebus!!!1 and iPad nano! oh wait that's just an iPhone :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.