Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

applecare_plus_iphone.jpg

Alongside all of today's other announcements, Apple also quietly debuted AppleCare+ for the iPhone, a new extended warranty program that also includes coverage for up to two incidents of accidental damage with a $49 service fee. The new AppleCare+ offering is valid for all iPhone models and is priced at $99.
Every iPhone comes with one year of hardware repair coverage and 90 days of telephone technical support. AppleCare+ for iPhone extends repair coverage and technical support to two years from the original purchase date of your iPhone and adds coverage for up to two incidents of accidental damage due to handling, each subject to a $49 service fee.
Basic AppleCare for the iPhone, which is no longer available, had been priced at $69.00 but did not cover accidental damage.

Article Link: Apple Launches 'AppleCare+' with Accidental iPhone Damage Coverage

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Ha, just saw that on the Apple Store. Pretty cool if you are accident prone.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
They charge $200 to replace your phone, so this is $50 off. It only becomes valuable if you have to replace it due to damage though.

mtbgtr

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2009
My wife had her iPhone 4 on the roof of her car then drove off. Phone was demolished, she then took the pile that was left back to Apple store and they replaced it for free. I like that plan better.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

Square trade is all I use...

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
So, essentially identical to SquareTrade, with the Genius Bar experience.

Remember that many credit cards will add an additional year of basic warranty coverage to electronics (for a total of 2 years), and offer 90-day purchase assurance which covers accidental damage AND theft. For free.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i got mine insured (?) on tmobile and i "accidentally" dropped it last week and got a new iPhone 4 already. a friend of mine is already on his 3rd and they only charge u 60 bucks each time. its great

jsalda

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2008
This will be interesting. I know a lot of people that have received new phones when they have accidentally broke theirs. It seems that those with AppleCare had a better chance of getting a replacement, which is why I bought it. However, as mentioned, it seems that you can get a replacement without AC, usually with the "just this one time as a courtesy" warning. I bet it'll be a lot harder for those without AC to get replacements now. The $49 replacement fee (on top of the AC cost) is a joke, though.

Mr. Chewbacca

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2010
Dallas TX
If you can transfer it you will get a much better resale price on your current phone.

pretty much squair trade but in the apple store so not bad.. better than paying 750

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
My wife had her iPhone 4 on the roof of her car then drove off. Phone was demolished, she then took the pile that was left back to Apple store and they replaced it for free. I like that plan better.

I wished I was the sales person at the time.

I would have looked at her and said, "yep, you broke it alright, are you here to buy something?"

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I buy an iPhone , 11 months after purchase I drop it in the pool!
I get apple care and then for 100$ and then go to the apple store and give them $50 more.

Not to bad if you ask me!

No way to get a used iPhone for $150 with 13 months apple care +. With one more exchange if needed.

I might consider this

sunseeker

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2004
Perhaps the $49 fee covers them sending you the replacement before you return the damaged unit

Until now that has been known as an 'advanced repair' and has come in handy for me more than once, for instance when my 3GS kept crashing during calls and I was able to keep using it until my replacement arrived

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
I just tried to look up AT&T insurance, and this is what I found.

AT&T's plan:
- $5/month ($120 over two years).
- $50-$125 per incident (depending on model of phone - 8GB, 16GB, etc).
- Must sign up within 30 days of purchase.
- You have to deal with AT&T stores (and they will always charge).

Apple's plan:
- $100 for two years.
- $50 per incident, maximum of two.
- Must sign up within 90 days of purchase.
- You deal with the Genius Bar. Annoying if you hate crowds or hippies, but there is always a chance they will just replace your phone for free without it counting as a claim.

I will probably just get the AppleCare again. I got it with my 3GS, and even if it wasn't needed, I got the warm fuzzy feeling of knowing they would take care of me. Now I know they will definitely take care of me if I smash my phone accidentally!

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Now my iPhone will finally go naked!

AppleFanTeacher

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2011

I wish they did that for me. My son, while on our first day at DisneyWorld, knocked my two-week old iPhone 4 out of my hand and cracked the screen. It still works but hate the crack on it. Came back from my trip and neither Verizon or Apple would help unless I pay the $179 for the insurance. (this was back in first week in June.) If someone has an idea of how to get it fixed without this fee or reduced, i'm all ears.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I wonder if they'll be less likely to do that now that this new paid plan for accidental damage has been added.

Zepaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
MN
Smart move. Now I will probably grab Applecare for my iP4S rather than Square Trade. My iPhone 4 met its fate through my klutiness in a parking lot. :(

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
True. But isn't that "if" the basis of all insurance? ;)

Of course. I've never had to replace an iphone under warranty because I'm careful, so it's not for me. My wife, who dropped hers in a toilet amongst other things... maybe :D

benmrii

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2007
FL

That's nice, and if you catch someone feeling like making that as an exception, great. But Apple is not going to do that the vast majority of the time as the standard warranty (and previously Apple Care) specifically states it does not cover such instances, especially now that accidental damage coverage is available.

This is a nice, new option.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Of course. I've never had to replace an iphone under warranty because I'm careful, so it's not for me. My wife, who dropped hers in a toilet amongst other things... maybe :D

I'm like you. Very careful with my phone. I've never dropped it, and never will...until I do.:eek: :eek:

I will probably pay the extra tariff on my next phone (iPhone5?? iPhone6?? whatever) :)

black743

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2010
Huntington, WV
Apple's plan:
- $100 for two years.
- $50 per incident, maximum of two.
- Must sign up within 90 days of purchase.
- You deal with the Genius Bar. Annoying if you hate crowds or hippies, but there is always a chance they will just replace your phone for free without it counting as a claim.

Actually, you just have to buy it within the first year; however, coverage starts from the purchase date of the phone. So if you waited 11 months to buy, you would still only be covered for two years after your purchase date.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.