Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mowogg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2004
San Gabriel, CA
OK I have had an odd problem on both my G5 and iBook. When trying to download an update through Software Update, it downloads just fine and then says there is an error in expanding the file and that I should check permissions on tmp/softwareupdate/etc...
I have updated my permissions with both Cocktail and the Disk Utility but that didn't work. I eventually threw out all pref files that said software update and that seemed to work on the G5. It didn't on the iBook. I also tried downloading with out installing and it said I didn't have sufficient permissions on /packages/ folder. I checked the permissions and it said I have read/write on that folder.
Here's the really weird thing: I downloaded the 2005-003 update from Versiontracker twice and both times it failed to mount with a checksum error. I have run out of ideas and am thinking about reinstalling 10.3 on the iBook. I can't pinpoint anything that has occurred on the iBook to initiate this.
Any ideas?

TIA,

Rob

mowogg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2004
San Gabriel, CA
yellow said:
What if you download them directly from Apple (the best source for updates of this nature)?

Well, I thought that I was doing so by going through VT. I don't think VT hosts the files, they only provide a direct link to the download URL.

I was able to download the update on my G5 and it mounted properly this morning. I'm going to try and move it over to my iBook and install it there. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Yes, it should be coming from apple via VT, but who knows? I'd prefer that the middleman was simply cut out and you downloaded directly from Apple's website to the iBook.

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/securityupdate2005003client.html

Beyond that, I would try creating a new admin account (or logging in as one if you already have it) and using Software Update. It'd be an interesting test to see if the problem is relegated to your user or is a system-wide problem.

mowogg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2004
San Gabriel, CA
yellow said:
Beyond that, I would try creating a new admin account (or logging in as one if you already have it) and using Software Update. It'd be an interesting test to see if the problem is relegated to your user or is a system-wide problem.
You know, I was going to try the new admin trick, but when I went to set one up, I could only create a standard user. I have to look at the help docs to see how to create a new admin. It was late and I was tired when I was trying to do this last night. I am still scratching my head over how it could have happened to both the laptop and desktop at about the same time.
Weird.

Thanks for your help,
Rob

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Create the user, click on the Security tab, and then check the "allow user to administrate this computer" box. Bam, admin user.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.