Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
I'm wanting to know how I should go about backing up my wife's iPad 2 before I install iOS 5 GM? The reason I ask is that I recently did a clean install of my iMac and this would be the first time I've plugged/synced it since the clean install, so it want's to erase and delete everything.

I've got PhoneView so I can manually backup her photos and books. However the applications are being a little tricky. I don't see a way to get a copy/backup her applications.

I'm going to be in the same situation on her iPhone 3GS also so I want to address this. I don't have to worry about her Contacts and email because we use MobileMe for syncing those.

Ideas?

darkfiber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Columbus, OH USA
I'm not sure I follow you. Do you mean another way to back it up other than connecting it to iTunes and syncing it? That will back everything it up. As a matter of fact I was in the process of installing iOS 5 GM on my iPad 2 but my Windows 7 PC is complaining about an unknown USB device just before it was going to restore using the iOS 5 GM. So I ended up having to restore from my backup of the 4.x.x version I was running.

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
I'm not sure I follow you. Do you mean another way to back it up other than connecting it to iTunes and syncing it? That will back everything it up. As a matter of fact I was in the process of installing iOS 5 GM on my iPad 2 but my Windows 7 PC is complaining about an unknown USB device just before it was going to restore using the iOS 5 GM. So I ended up having to restore from my backup of the 4.x.x version I was running.

Just imagine that you have synced/backed up your iPad 2 on another computer so when you plug it in and try to sync it with the other computer iTunes wants to delete/erase it.

Rubo Draco

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2011
Related Q

I have another related questions about backing up...

- What if I don't want to backup my iPad before updating to iOS 5?
I remember when I hit the "don't backup" option from the update, the process cancels itself.

- will I have to delete all data from the iPad using iTunes and then perform the iOS update?
cause my PC has just 8GB left, so I won't be able tu backup.

- is it possible to backup everything to iCloud, including the non-bought from iTunes things?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Plug in iPad
Cancel sync
Right click iPad and select backup
...???
Upgrade
Restore
Profit

iKIKO

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2011
yeah do a back up before, i personally make 2 back ups just in case before doing anything with restores or updates ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.