Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As part of their new iPhone 4S promotional web pages, Apple has included several full-resolution sample shots for download.

We've included three of the shots here. Clicking on the image will download the full-size 2-3MB 3264x2448 pixel photos to your computer.

Several other examples are available to download at the bottom of Apple's 4S camera page. Of course, these may represent ideal shots, but should give you something to analyze while you wait for the 14th.

(via TheNextWeb)

Article Link: Full Resolution Photos from the New iPhone 4S Camera

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
for all the magic in this camera they forgot one critical aspect that makes all the difference .................... no wide angle :roll eyes:

and I was watching the keynote on the :apple: site ...... is it me or does that presenter not know much about cameras? The only other explanation I can think of is that he intentionally talked down the tech terms; like Dynamic Range; which seems to be the same as the current i4 camera (which is decent but no dSLR)

Last edited:

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Wow these pictures are much larger than I thought they would be, in comparison to my 3GS. Looks like i'll have to go 32GB.

BaronStein

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2010
NY
for all the magic in this camera they forgot one critical aspect that makes all the difference .................... no wide angle :rolleyes:

They forgot to make iPad a widescreen device too according to your perspective, right?

so what you're saying is that you're not familiar with camera lenses?

ohnoyoudidnt.jpg

Trauma1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Those eight pics are nice. But it doesn't really tell the whole story.

Show us some impressive low-light pictures, then we can talk.

backinblack875

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2010
USA
for all the magic in this camera they forgot one critical aspect that makes all the difference .................... no wide angle :roll eyes:

and I was watching the keynote on the :apple: site ...... is it me or does that presenter not know much about cameras? The only other explanation I can think of is that he intentionally talked down the tech terms; like Dynamic Range; which seems to be the same as the current i4 camera (which is decent but no dSLR)

the bolded part is your issue right there. It's a phone.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
the bolded part is your issue right there. It's a phone.
and it never will be (a dSLR)

but they try to play it up and compare

then again I'm an INTJ. Don't give me crap or fancy marketingspeak, just facts :D

I wanted to see a 24mm equivalent wide angle lens instead of this eternal 36mm and narrower stuff (heck 30mm would have been good)

SuperMacMan

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Absolutely beautiful. These are miles better than what I can get on my point-and-shoot, and certainly better than what my parent's high-end point-and-shoot takes!

I cannot wait to get mine. Mum, who currently uses a Nokia feature phone, is even wanting one after seeing the Siri video and these pictures!

I, for one, am incredibly pleased with this new iPhone. Haters gonna hate.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Those eight pics are nice. But it doesn't really tell the whole story.

Show us some impressive low-light pictures, then we can talk.

The iPhone 4 is already great in low light—I use it that way all the time. The HDR feature helps, as does the Flash, but even unaided it’s better than the dedicated camera I used to love, and better than the pics other people are taking in the same locations. Definitely competitive with standalone cameras (the kind you leave home and get nothing from).

And the iPhone 4S should be even better than that in low light: 72% more light sensitivity than the iPhone 4.

P.S. For REALLY low light I 've downloaded a couple great long-exposure apps. Some more serious, some more for fun. And then there are apps like 360 Panorama. So easy! Let’s see a “real” camera do these things! And editing, and uploading and....

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Looks good. Especially for a phone. Good details and colors. Metering needs some work as the highlights blow out easily and while they mentioned DOF, the bokeh that is present is poor.

Trauma1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
The iPhone 4 is already great in low light

I disagree. They may look ok on the phone itself, but once they are upload to a full-sized display, the weakness shows.

But I'm not complaining, because it is a phone.

smalltimewine

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2010
and it never will be (a dSLR)

but they try to play it up and compare

then again I'm an INTJ. Don't give me crap or fancy marketingspeak, just facts :D

I wanted to see a 24mm equivalent wide angle lens instead of this eternal 36mm and narrower stuff (heck 30mm would have been good)

It seemed pretty clear to me that they were making a comparison to P&S cameras, not DSLRs. The lead in slide was even a generic P&S icon.

Sure 24mm or wider is fun, but the average iPhone or any average photo taker is less interested in wide than tele. So, 36mm with a digital zoom is reasonable, considering the physics of such a small lens. To go wider, I'd guess that you'd start to run in to some serious distortion and loss of sharpness.

Like someone else said, it's a phone. You obviously have other equipment to use when you want to go wide.

ENTJ here.

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Will you be able to purchase the iphone 4S WITHOUT a contract like you can all the other iphones?

I travel alot, and dpnt need the phone, but sure would like the iphone 4S as a travel camera, skype, video recorder. Instead of lugging around a laptop and dslr....this would be a really compact nice alternative.

Even if its $600 or $700 unsubsidized, it'd be worth it for me considering dslrs cost alot more...and even a good point & shoot camera costs around $300 or so. And the iphone does so much more.

Not activating the phone part, but having it for travel woukd be sweet.

BiscottiGelato

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2011

Seems like you are the one that is dropping the ball. With a fixed focal length lens, it's a mistake to leave it very wide. You have to balance both the tele and the wide side and choose a median ground. And as the other poster mentioned, reducing distortion and improving corner sharpness while fulfilling whatever cost restriction Apple has in place is also vital. This leaves anything too much on either the wide or tele side out of the question.

I'll leave my serious photo expeditions to my DSLR, 2.8 zooms and 1.4 primes. For everything else, the 4S camera sounds excellent. The Samsung Galaxy S 2 camera in my opinion only barely edged out the iPhone 4 even with the extra megapixel. The 4S camera probably will simply blows the competition away.

I still want my 4"+ screen tho... And from a market standpoint, making a phone that does not at all easily differentiation from their last generation might not be a good idea....

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
Great detail, awesome photos.
Would prefer RAW or at least PNG, though. Lossy JPEG? Seriously? It kinda ruins the purpose of an 8MP camera.

*everybody rages over RAW part of the comment and ignores the PNG part*

Last edited:

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
Great detail, awesome photos.
Would prefer RAW or at least PNG, though. Lossy JPEG? Seriously? It kinda ruins the purpose of an 8MP camera.
I don't think I've ever had a phone or a point and shoot that produced RAW images. How much more memory do RAW images require?

----------

How the heck did they get so close to the squirrel??
Some sort of time delay aperture control, and put some food next to the phone, maybe?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.