Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is offering up to $200 (for a 32GB iPhone 4) for used iPhones, depending on condition, via its recycling and trade-in program. The company also takes in iPads, old Mac and PC notebook and desktop machines for recycling.

Apple has partnered with California-based PowerON for its recently-expanded recycling service, calling the company "an industry leader in the responsible reuse and recycling of used IT assets."

To return an iPhone, users must first choose which model they have and then answer a few simple questions about the state of the device, including whether it is severely scratched, water damaged, and if it works properly. PowerON provides free shipping materials and, upon receipt and verification of the device, mails out an Apple Gift Card for the fair market value of the product -- or approximately what it would be worth selling it privately.

recycling.jpg

Apple/PowerOn isn't the only way to dispose of old electronics, of course. Online trade-in services like Gazelle, selling devices on eBay or Craigslist, or trading in iOS devices at GameStop are all viable alternatives.

Understandably, some may prefer the official Apple path versus the hassle or risk of selling their devices to third-parties.

The trade-in service isn't the only useful recycling program that Apple offers. It also gives a 10% discount on a new iPod to customers who bring in an old iPod -- working or not -- to an Apple Retail Store for recycling. Retail Stores will also take in dead batteries and any cell phone for free recycling as well.

In recent years, Apple has worked to aggressively improve its environmental image.

Article Link: Apple Offering Up to $200 Gift Card for a Used iPhone 4

Menopause

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
To be fair you can get a much better price for a 'device of monetary value' on eBay.

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008
I think I could sell my factory unlocked iPhone 4 for about double that price.

room237

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2008
Queens, NYC
Not bad, in theory, but can't put the money towards the new iPhone, unless I'm without a phone for a few weeks.

I'll try ebay.

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
I like to try Craigslist first then if apple will give more than what a friend gives me then I'll go with them. Whoever gives me more basically lol.

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Too bad I already got $400 for mt iPhone 4 32gb on Criagslist, and I got cash which is just as good as money.;)

Sbrocket

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
/dev/null
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A334)

Adidas Addict said:
What a con.

http://www.mazumamobile.com/

Give £280 = $433

Never heard of them. Does this mazuma mobile place except US-based iPhones? I cant see why they'd pay double what US-based places pay. Seems scammy, but a quick google search hasn't turned up anything.

Trauma1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Considering I sold mine for over $400, definitely not worth it.

----------

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A334)

Never heard of them. Does this mazuma mobile place except US-based iPhones? I cant see why they'd pay double what US-based places pay. Seems scammy, but a quick google search hasn't turned up anything.

There are plenty of US-based sites like that, Gazelle is one of them.

The problem with those sites, from what I have read in user reviews and other articles, is that when you send them your phone, they will offer you a lesser amount than what was originally quoted on the website. And there is a short time-frame in getting your phone back, so they essentially hold your device hostage so you accept the lesser amount.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
Apple says my Mid-2009, 17" matte, 2.8 GHz C2D, in good or very good condition (except the discrete 9600 GPU) is worth < 35 US$. Yeah, that is right. I paid > 2900 US$ (including tax) in 2009 for this machine.

No thanks, Apple!

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
eBay Instant Sale is much better, let alone selling on Craigslist and/or selling as auction on eBay. I got $500 last week for my iPhone 4 32Gb.

Matth345

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2010

They are very well known in the UK as are envirofone who I have used before. They also offer £280

millertime021

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2010
AZ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

For everyone complaining... Apple isn't making anyone do this. It's good that they have the option. I know plenty of people that don't care about max resale, and would rather have an easy way out.
I personally prefer eBay, but there's no need to complain about the offer.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
I tried the tool to see how much they would give me for my used iPhone 3GS 32gb, in good condition, just some minor scuffs and scratches. It says they will offer me a fair market value of: $0. (It didn't even say no thanks, it really did say they will offer me $0, and allows me accept).

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK

They are definitely not a scam - I use them to get rid of all my old phones (much less painful than eBay) - they don't reduce the offered price based on condition of the phone, either: As long as it works, that's what you get
No idea if they accept phones from abroad though

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
For everyone complaining... Apple isn't making anyone do this. It's good that they have the option. I know plenty of people that don't care about max resale, and would rather have an easy way out.
I personally prefer eBay, but there's no need to complain about the offer.

Agreed. It's another option for people who don't want the hassle of dealing with Craigslist, eBay, the kid down the street, etc. If you don't like the offer, you don't have to take it.

Actually, I'd take it a step further and say that they're really only offering this service to earn "Green" points so their gear doesn't end up in landfills. Paying the customer is only secondary.

markdj

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2010
Not real cash

You only get a gift card. That's not real cash and you can only spend it on Apple.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
You only get a gift card. That's not real cash and you can only spend it on Apple.

That's true, normally these sites give you more money for gift card vs cash option. I.e. Best buy or crutchfield gift card. I just think this is a horrible idea, but like another poster said, they may want an easy way out.

Sardonick007

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
Fair Market Value?

Too bad private sellers haven't heard of Apple's definition of fair market value. There's always some shmuck ready to fork over more than a used phone is worth. Oh, be right back, I just got a hit on my ebay sale.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Wow, so Apple is willing to buy back the stuff they sell you for a retail gift card worth half the devices' value, but considering retail markup only costs them about a quarter or a third of the devices value (depending on what you buy with that gift card). Additionally, you will likely spend more than the amount on the gift card you get so Apple will then make money on anything over and above the amount of the gift card.

I'm guessing selling on Craigslist or eBay will be better for most folks.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
the article stated trading in iPods for 10% off..

does that mean i can trade in my 1st gen iPod shuffle for 10% off?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.