Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hikeNM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Hello,

I'm trying to boot a G3 iMac from an external DVD drive. I hold down the option key but the external drive won't show in my options for booting.

Anybody know how to make it see the external?

Thanks

P.S. The reason I'm trying to do this is because I want to upgrade from Leopard to Tiger and the G3 doesn't have a DVD drive, only CD-RW.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Is it connected via USB or Firewire?
PPC Macs can only boot from Firewire drives, unless the OS or installer has been cloned from the running Mac to the USB medium.

hikeNM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Is it connected via USB or Firewire?
PPC Macs can only boot from Firewire drives, unless the OS or installer has been cloned from the running Mac to the USB medium.

Ah, it's USB. So, that's my problem.

So, now I have an interesting problem. I only have the DVD's for install of Tiger and I don't have a firewire drive.

Any way to get the DVD's where I could upgrade from them?

Thanks so much!

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Some optical drives don't support booting PPC Macs over USB. Does the Mac see the drive in the Startup Disk pref pane? It will not see it in the menu that appears when Option is held down at boot.

If you have another PPC Mac, you can connect the two via a FireWire cable and use Target Disk mode to install Tiger.

hikeNM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Some optical drives don't support booting PPC Macs over USB. Does the Mac see the drive in the Startup Disk pref pane? It will not see it in the menu that appears when Option is held down at boot.

If you have another PPC Mac, you can connect the two via a FireWire cable and use Target Disk mode to install Tiger.

No, it doesn't unfortunately. And at the moment, I don't have another PPC around to connect by firewire. All I have is a MacBook Air.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
No, it doesn't unfortunately. And at the moment, I don't have another PPC around to connect by firewire. All I have is a MacBook Air.

If it doesn't appear in the Startup Disk pref pane, then that optical drive/disc combination is not supported.

Apple did sell Tiger on three cd's. Try checking on eBay for the Tiger retain cd's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.