Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hwrdrrk

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Hugely disappointed by the lack of an iPod Touch update, I am facing the following purchase decision. Much of my dilemma is related to voice commands.

The 64GB iPhone 4s has Voice Assistant, which includes telling my iPhone what music to to play. It costs $849 unlocked.

The 64GB iPod Touch on iOS 4.0 allowed me to play artist, album, or playlist. It costs $399

My question is: Will the 64GB iPod Touch on iOS 5.0 also allow me to play by song, genre, etc. (in addition to artist, album, or playlist)?

In other words, which voice commands are iPhone/Siri specific. And which voice commands are iOS 5.0 native.

(I have posted this in the "buying tips and advice" section. If it is better suited in another section, please let me know)

Thank you in advance for any insights or advice you bring to my situation.

milbournosphere

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
San Diego, CA
Any reason why you want an unlocked phone? If Sprint plays their cards right, you could probably manage to get a subsidized 4S without getting raped on the data charges, which would make your decision much easier.

Parkin Pig

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Yorkshire-by-Gum
If there is a difference (which I suspect not), would it really be worth paying more than double for voice commands?

Agreed.
Also, picture this: 2 people listening to music in public, one with a $399 iPhone 4, one with a $849 iPhone 4s. One of them quietly touches the screen a couple of times and selects a new tune. The other announces to everyone in earshot: 'I want to listen to the Rolling Stones. Emotional Rescue'.

Guess which one paid an extra $450 to look like an idiot?

Jswoosh

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2011
Agreed.
Also, picture this: 2 people listening to music in public, one with a $399 iPhone 4, one with a $849 iPhone 4s. One of them quietly touches the screen a couple of times and selects a new tune. The other announces to everyone in earshot: 'I want to listen to the Rolling Stones. Emotional Rescue'.

I'm not sure if that's the best example. Like the iPod the 4s you can also go through and choose what song you want without announcing it to the world. However, it would be beneficial to have the 4s while driving, instead of looking down at the screen (which I do on my phone) all you need to do is hold the button and say what you want to listen to. That sounds a lot more helpful if you ask me. Regardless you can get the 4s for 400 I'm selling my 4 for 150 or so, so I'll probably end up spending a little less than I did when I originally purchased the 4.

spblat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
I'm as excited about Siri as anybody. But I don't think the premium would be worth it if you'll only use it for music. And I'd want to be dead sure of its accuracy first.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
is siri worth hundreds? i am looking forward to it too, but not enough to spend that kind of money.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Any reason why you want an unlocked phone? If Sprint plays their cards right, you could probably manage to get a subsidized 4S without getting raped on the data charges, which would make your decision much easier.

Really? You mean that in the states you can pick up an iPhone 4 (for instance) locked to a carrier, have it unlocked and hey presto - have an unlocked iPhone 4 for less than having bought an unlocked one? It sounds great :)

I'm from "across the pond" and I've lived in a handful of countries, but I have yet to see an iPhone and subscription being cheaper by buying the phone locked to the carrier than buying the phone unlocked and grabbing the best available subscription/prepaid-option.

hwrdrrk

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Agreed.

Oh, Macrumors. You guys are awesome, but some of you can be so silly. I especially love these bizarre examples that are totally irrelevant. But I appreciate the thought. I respect those of you who do not value voice command technology, but this is a post by someone for whom it is their favorite feature. Now, for all the grammar freaks in the room, have fun correcting that last sentence.

Updated thoughts/responses

1) Not paying more than double for for voice commands. Dual core processor, airplay mirroring, a dramatically improved digital camera, and true hi def video recording all make it worth exploring. If we were talking about a 64GB iPod touch for $400, and a 64GB iPod touch with Siri for $850 ... I would simply go with the $400 option case closed.

2) $80-$100/month for 24 months under contract is a big commitment; not for those of you with significant sources of income. But as an artist with little income and no health insurance, it is significant. tMobile prepaid plans are $30/month and that is more realistic.

3) Back story. I owned an iPod Touch 4g 32GB which I sold last month for $225 I am currently without a cell phone, or an iPod Touch. The iPod Touch (having never owned an iPhone which has a better camera) is my favorite apple device ever created. I use it 24/7, and I use it primarily in my pocket using voice control ... "Play Playlist workout mix," "Play Artist Brett Dennen" ... (Please forgive shameless plug. Wait, what?).

My voice control commands are made at the gym, in the car, at home, and are spoken quietly into my headphone microphone, not announced loudly to disturb those around me. Also, I am only considering a 64GB device as my next investment.

With siri, the ability to say "Schedule my date at the Fillmore on October 24th at 8:30 PM" and "Remind me to upload the new material to my website when I get home" would be very useful over the next few years.

To have the hundreds of benefits of Siri, in addition to the hardware upgrades, would break down to $18.75/month more for the next two years for an upgraded unlocked iPhone (at $850), instead of last years iPod Touch (at $400) with no hardware upgrades and a horrible (0.7 megapixel) still camera.

That said, it's still not an easy decision. Carrying an $850 device in my pocket would create some theft/loss anxiety. And then there was that time My 2G 8GB iPod Touch ($200) wanted to go for a ride in the washing machine, which I was totally opposed to. A $200 loss was difficult, but an $850 loss would be sickening.

Still contemplating...

Wyvernspirit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Massachusetts
I would say that, most likely, the non-Siri voice commands will be exactly the same in iOS 5 as in 4, assuming Apple keeps them active.

It is unlikely that Apple would upgrade that feature with Siri taking over, but I could see Apple removing the non-Siri version to help push the 4 S⃣ and so people don't mistake the limited non-Siri voice control for Siri.

I wouldn't agree with that choice, but I could see Apple doing it.

On a side note, I don't think you get the full features (3g/"4g") on T-Mobile, you may do better getting the touch and a true T-Mobile phone discounted through T-Mobile, if that is where you are headed. You may also check them for Hotspot capability so you can connect the iPod Touch to the internet where ever you can get a T-Mobile signal.

the S⃣ is for Siri :D

hwrdrrk

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
I would say that, most likely, the non-Siri voice commands will be exactly the same in iOS 5 as in 4, assuming Apple keeps them active.

It is unlikely that Apple would upgrade that feature with Siri taking over, but I could see Apple removing the non-Siri version to help push the 4 S⃣ and so people don't mistake the limited non-Siri voice control for Siri.

I wouldn't agree with that choice, but I could see Apple doing it.

On a side note, I don't think you get the full features (3g/"4g") on T-Mobile, you may do better getting the touch and a true T-Mobile phone discounted through T-Mobile, if that is where you are headed. You may also check them for Hotspot capability so you can connect the iPod Touch to the internet where ever you can get a T-Mobile signal.

the S⃣ is for Siri :D

Thanks for the thoughtful response. Let's hope Apple doesn't do that. I'm wondering if any developers with hands on experience with betas of iOS 5 could tell me how voice commands are working on iPhone 4 or iPod Touch 4 without Siri.

Likewise, if anyone with experience running their iPhone 4 on tMobile could chime in, it would be helpful to hear your experience.

Currently I'm leaning toward an iPod Touch 64GB refurb for $339. And a cheap pre-paid tMobile phone at $30/month

----------

could you not make do with a 16gb 4S and an ipod nano or whatever? or are you wanting an all in one? if so i'd go with the phone because, in the end you're gonna need both so may aswell Image

If I'm shelling out a ton of money (over $400) I'm going to want an all in one 64gb 4s.

If not, I'll spend less money for an iPod Touch & a cheap phone.

In my opinion, apple destroyed the nano on it's 6th generation release, and stopped innovating the shuffle as well. If either of those devices had voice control (http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/features/voice-control.html) I would highly consider them.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Assistant seems to require data connection.

I am guessing the heavy lifting is done on Apple servers for certain types of operations.

purplesaber

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2008
1) Not paying more than double for for voice commands. Dual core processor, airplay mirroring, a dramatically improved digital camera, and true hi def video recording all make it worth exploring. If we were talking about a 64GB iPod touch for $400, and a 64GB iPod touch with Siri for $850 ... I would simply go with the $400 option case closed.

2) $80-$100/month for 24 months under contract is a big commitment; not for those of you with significant sources of income. But as an artist with little income and no health insurance, it is significant. tMobile prepaid plans are $30/month and that is more realistic.

3) Back story. I owned an iPod Touch 4g 32GB which I sold last month for $225 I am currently without a cell phone, or an iPod Touch. The iPod Touch (having never owned an iPhone which has a better camera) is my favorite apple device ever created. I use it 24/7, and I use it primarily in my pocket using voice control ... "Play Playlist workout mix," "Play Artist Brett Dennen" ... (Please forgive shameless plug. Wait, what?).

I am in a similar quandary about unlocked iPhone 4s vs. ipod Touch. Here are my thoughts if they are helpful:

1) Are you hinting that you are Brett Dennen? If so, very cool! I really like your albums a lot.

2) Overall I think the iPhone is the worst value of all Apple's products. With a plan it costs more than $2k over a two year contract, and without a contract it's still more expensive than a comparable spec iPad2 and much more expensive than the (admittedly poorer spec) iPod Touch. I'm not saying it's not a wonderful device -- just that it is expensive compared with other Apple gear.

3) That being said I am really tempted to get an unlocked one, to use as an iPod and quality camera when out an about, and internet device when around the house. I especially want to be able to Airplay music around the house, and a pocketable, always around me device is better than an iPad for this.

4) As far as music goes I would consider saving money by getting the 16gb version. I have been very happy with streaming solutions with my android phone. The two I like are Google Music and Audiogalaxy (which requires a computer left on at home to stream from but handles lossless files). I keep a small amount of music on the phone and stream the rest of my large collection.

5) If I do get an iPhone 4S I will not sign up for a cell plan. I currently have an android phone on Virgin Mobile for $25/mo with 300 min and unlimited data, and the phone can be used as a hotspot. Yes, it's a pain to carry two devices, but I'd rather carry both the android phone and iPhone and save a minimum $50/month on a cell plan.

6) The biggest downside to this approach is that Siri sounds like it requires data connectivity to work (as mentioned by another poster). When in wifi this is not a problem (home, work, gym), but it will be a limitation when in the car unless I turn on the android hotspot.

7) Lastly, my guess is that a factory unlocked iPhone will hold a decent amount of it's value in one year, and that I can sell it and upgrade to an (unlocked) iPhone 5 without a big extra expense. If I keep doing that I think my yearly expense won't be large and I get the advantage of having the latest version every year, without being tied to a 2 year contract.

Anyway those are my 2 cents, and if you are Brett Dennen please keep the great tunes coming!

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
Get an iPod touch and a cheap prepaid phone. I think you can get by without voice commands.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.