Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cward0715

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
The Siri app in the app store looks like it has been disabled. It will not recognize any voice commands. Looks as if they are trying to make Siri iPhone4 s exclusive. My last thread on this was deleted, but not sure why, as this is new information.

Blinny83

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2011
That it is pretty weak of apple. Good thing I downloaded it right before the keynote.

FearlessFreep

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Northern Virginia, USA
I have the app (downloaded this morning) - opening it now throws an error 'Retrieval Failed'

Definitely a questionable move by Apple. It's their app so they can do what they want with it, but they shouldn't disable it for people that already have it.

mode101

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2007
I have the app (downloaded this morning) - opening it now throws an error 'Retrieval Failed'

Definitely a questionable move by Apple. It's their app so they can do what they want with it, but they shouldn't disable it for people that already have it.

It's working for me... :eek:

cward0715

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
I'm getting the retrieval error. I've had the app for a few months now. Pretty low of apple to kill something that worked perfectly fine. I guess they killed it so no one can say "It works on my iP4, why is it iP4s exclusive?" Which it shouldn't be.

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
I know I used to have this app, now it does not show in my updates, purchased, not on this phone list. Also when I link to the app via appshopper on the iphone it can't open the link. I don't even see the .ipa file on my computers hard drive!

----------

That's seriously messed up considering I can still download things like airview and VLC.

Does anyone know what the ipa file name was? Maybe I'm not looking at the right thing.

Last edited:

Derf Fred

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2011
Siri on 3gs now disabled....Complain and see what happens

I originaly posted this on usenet:

The new iPhone 4s features Siri, a voice command program. This seems to be
the most promoted feature of the new iPhone.

I already have Siri on my 3GS. I downloaded it a while back. For some
reason it is not available on iTunes any longer, so I read the help file
within Siri. This is what it said.

" I've been replaced! The new Siri is even smarter and better- looking than
me and waiting for you on the iPhone 4s. I'll be leaving for home Oct. 15."

My 3gs Siri is smart enough for me. If Apple makes Siri "go home" then my
loyalty to Apple has vanished.

end of original usenet post

I then used the feedback button within Siri to voice this same concern. 10 minutes later when starting Siri this error message pops up.

"There is a problem. I'm not getting the information I need from you"

WOW....And I thought Apple was nice. It's true.The non 4s Siri will be gone Oct. 15 That is unless you complain to Apple. If you do they'll shut it down immediately.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
Well, now it has been disabled for iPhone 4S. Every time I try it, I get a voice response that says it can't take new requests. Try again later. I have tried all day, still doesn't work.

Item resolved (I guess). Reset my iPhone and Siri working again. Beta or just bad luck? Don't know but will sure be happy when it comes out of beta. Hopefully, next month when iPad 3 launches.

1) You revive a dead thread
2) You dont even get the topic of the thread, Siri was an app, before it was an iPhone feature. OP was talking about the app, not the actual phone feature...
3) SMH

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
Still works for me, its beta and not to be relied on though.

Really don't know why people still throw this out there. It's 'beta' in the sense that they are still adding languages and features to Siri. What is already there should be fully functional and "reliable".

If you're going to say Siri is in beta, you better say iOS 5 is beta as well. I mean, it's been updated once and another update is in the works, right? That means it's not a finished product. And it never really will be, just like all software pretty much.

Giving Apple a pass on Siri w/"it's in beta" and the reason, is weak. That being said, the only problems I really ever have with Siri is network related...which I think is pretty much everyone's problem with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.